A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather satellite

Old September 4th 05, 08:56 PM
Barbara Schwarz

Default A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather satellite

A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather
satellite via a remote control from somebody on earth. Nobody has to be
in harms way.

That laser either circles the hurrican and keeps it in place till it
loses strenght in the ocean or it cuts through it and breaks it up in
less powerful storms. It is also possible to push a hurrican away from
land with such a laser.

Those NASA and Homeland Security "scientists" and officials take home a
huge salary but they don't come up with that solution? What is the
matter with them? Am I the only one thinking or what?

Barbara Schwarz

Old September 5th 05, 04:20 AM
Fritz Weaver

On 4 Sep 2005 12:56:26 -0700, "Barbara Schwarz"
wrote:

That laser either circles the hurrican and keeps it in place till it
loses strenght in the ocean or it cuts through it and breaks it up in
less powerful storms. It is also possible to push a hurrican away from
land with such a laser.

A laser is light and light travels in a straight line so it can't circle a
hurricane. There is also the problem of a laser pushing anything especially
clouds.

Regards,

Fritz Weaver
============================
http://www.internet-skeptics.org
============================
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but
they've always worked for me.-- Hunter S. Thompson
Old September 5th 05, 05:56 AM
LawsonE

"Barbara Schwarz" wrote in message
oups.com...
A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather
satellite via a remote control from somebody on earth. Nobody has to be
in harms way.

That laser either circles the hurrican and keeps it in place till it
loses strenght in the ocean or it cuts through it and breaks it up in
less powerful storms. It is also possible to push a hurrican away from
land with such a laser.

Those NASA and Homeland Security "scientists" and officials take home a
huge salary but they don't come up with that solution? What is the
matter with them? Am I the only one thinking or what?

That's been the subject of science fiction for many decades. The problem, of
course, is that in order to test the theory, you need a super-strong laser
mounted on a satellite. Either we don't have lasers that strong mounted on
satellites, or their existence is classified. Either way, they're not likely
to be involved in any public testing of anti-hurricaine procedures.

Old September 5th 05, 11:14 AM
Cardinal Chunder

Barbara Schwarz wrote:
A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather
satellite via a remote control from somebody on earth. Nobody has to be
in harms way.

That laser either circles the hurrican and keeps it in place till it
loses strenght in the ocean or it cuts through it and breaks it up in
less powerful storms. It is also possible to push a hurrican away from
land with such a laser.

Those NASA and Homeland Security "scientists" and officials take home a
huge salary but they don't come up with that solution? What is the
matter with them? Am I the only one thinking or what?

Barbara Schwarz

How does a laser light keep a hurricane from moving please o wise one.

Old September 5th 05, 02:13 PM
Ordog

Barbara Schwarz wrote:
A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather
satellite via a remote control from somebody on earth. Nobody has to be
in harms way.

That laser either circles the hurrican and keeps it in place till it
loses strenght in the ocean or it cuts through it and breaks it up in
less powerful storms. It is also possible to push a hurrican away from
land with such a laser.

Those NASA and Homeland Security "scientists" and officials take home a
huge salary but they don't come up with that solution? What is the
matter with them? Am I the only one thinking or what?

Barbara Schwarz

Have you calculated the energy needed to create such a super laser
beam?

We might be better of waiting for the Starship Enterprise for help!
Beam me up Scotty!

Ordog
"Beware of the man whose God is in the skies." Bernard Shaw

Old September 5th 05, 06:37 PM
Ian Stirling

In sci.space.science Barbara Schwarz wrote:
A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather
satellite via a remote control from somebody on earth. Nobody has to be
in harms way.

It can also be broken up by simply sprinkling pixie dust in its path.

You're an idiot.
An innumerate one.
The most powerful continuous laser around is on the order of a megawatt.
The energy feeding a hurricane is about that every 30 meters square.
Old September 5th 05, 06:46 PM
TeaWreckes

"Barbara Schwarz" wrote in message
oups.com...
A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather
satellite via a remote control from somebody on earth. Nobody has to be
in harms way.

That laser either circles the hurrican and keeps it in place till it
loses strenght in the ocean or it cuts through it and breaks it up in
less powerful storms. It is also possible to push a hurrican away from
land with such a laser.

Those NASA and Homeland Security "scientists" and officials take home a
huge salary but they don't come up with that solution? What is the
matter with them? Am I the only one thinking or what?

Barbara Schwarz

Yes! We could also attach the 'lasers' to the head of ferocious man eating
sharks, or if those are not available, ill-tempered sea bass...

"All I wanted was a frickin' rotating chair..."

Old September 5th 05, 07:27 PM

Barbara Schwarz wrote:
What is the matter with them? Am I the only one thinking or what?

Short answer: "Or what."

Long answer: A lot of people have probably thought of it. I've had the
idea since I read "Orion Shall Rise" about 20 years ago.

However, the NASA and Homeland Security "scientists" probably know two
things:
1) What lasers are capable of (and incapable of)
2) Roughly what it takes to screw up a hurricane

And have come to the conclusion that current or plausible near future
lasers will do about as much to a hurricane as throwing individual
grains of sand, one grain at a time by hand, will erode an Egyptian
pyramid.

When someone builds a laser that can evaporate a city like in a bad
Hollywood movie, then your idea might be worth trying.

Mike Miller

Old September 5th 05, 11:15 PM
Paul

"Barbara Schwarz" wrote in message
oups.com...
A hurrican can be broken up with a strong laser from a weather
satellite via a remote control from somebody on earth. Nobody has to be
in harms way.

That laser either circles the hurrican and keeps it in place till it
loses strenght in the ocean or it cuts through it and breaks it up in
less powerful storms. It is also possible to push a hurrican away from
land with such a laser.

Those NASA and Homeland Security "scientists" and officials take home a
huge salary but they don't come up with that solution? What is the
matter with them? Am I the only one thinking or what?

Barbara Schwarz

Interesting idea Barbara

The first problem with a laser to manipulate a storm is that as far as I
know we don't make a laser that big yet. Second is I doubt that a laser
would break up a storm since the air mass is moving I think it would most
likely do nothing but could add power to the storm since it would heat the
air in the storm. Third it is unlikely that a storm with the kind of forces
that you would wont to manipulate could be redirected it would be like
trying to turn a locomotive with a flashlight.

John Paul Rogers