Ten seconds on, ten seconds off

Old August 16th 16, 07:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_6_]

Default Ten seconds on, ten seconds off

I was watching the technical webcast for JCSAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERDIFnFvHs and during the second
stage burn, noticed something I cannot explain - it would seem that
for about ten seconds at a time, there would be some "lights" showing
on the dark "upper" portion of the bell. Then for about ten seconds
they would not be there. Lather, rinse, repeat. This also seems to
correlate with a step/shudder in the image.

rick jones
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old August 17th 16, 05:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

On 16-08-16 21:22 , Rick Jones wrote:
I was watching the technical webcast for JCSAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERDIFnFvHs and during the second
stage burn, noticed something I cannot explain - it would seem that
for about ten seconds at a time, there would be some "lights" showing
on the dark "upper" portion of the bell. Then for about ten seconds
they would not be there. Lather, rinse, repeat. This also seems to
correlate with a step/shudder in the image.

Perhaps they are switching every 10 seconds between two different
cameras, one on each side of the engine, but with slight difference in
alignment so that the bell seems to "step" a little?

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
Old August 17th 16, 08:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message
Niklas Holsti wrote:

On 16-08-16 21:22 , Rick Jones wrote:
I was watching the technical webcast for JCSAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERDIFnFvHs and during the second
stage burn, noticed something I cannot explain - it would seem that
for about ten seconds at a time, there would be some "lights" showing
on the dark "upper" portion of the bell. Then for about ten seconds
they would not be there. Lather, rinse, repeat. This also seems to
correlate with a step/shudder in the image.

Perhaps they are switching every 10 seconds between two different
cameras, one on each side of the engine, but with slight difference in
alignment so that the bell seems to "step" a little?

Yes they are. If you dig out one of the daylight launches you see Earth
changing position each time the camera switches.

Anthony

Leap seconds oriel36[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 3 March 1st 08 09:30 AM
You've got 5 seconds Martin R. Howell Amateur Astronomy 8 July 22nd 06 06:21 AM
10^-43 Seconds Before,and After BB G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 11 July 10th 06 01:06 AM
Seconds, anyone? Honest John Misc 10 February 28th 06 12:52 AM
What can I image in 30 seconds? [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 November 8th 05 09:47 AM