Kemble's Cascade (binocular observing)

Old December 28th 03, 10:28 PM
orion94nl

Default Kemble's Cascade (binocular observing)

Hi all

In the astro-weblog I started a new series of articles called "My
favourite binocular objects". In this column I will regularly post
interesting binocular objects with finder charts, sketches, images
etc. I started with Kemble's Cascade, an asterism in Camelopardalis.

http://www.backyard-astro.com/weblog.php

Enjoy!

Math
http://www.backyard-astro.com

Old December 29th 03, 03:22 PM
Stefan Ahlgren

In the astro-weblog I started a new series of articles called "My
favourite binocular objects". In this column I will regularly post
interesting binocular objects with finder charts, sketches, images
etc. I started with Kemble's Cascade, an asterism in Camelopardalis.

Nice site! As soon as it gets dark, I'll be outside with my Oberwerk 22 x
100.
One question: You say on the website that the brightest star in the Giraffe
is Beta. What happened to Alfa, or how come Beta is brighter than
Alfa???????
Keep up the good work!
/Stefan Ahlgren, Sweden

Old December 29th 03, 04:10 PM
Jax

"Stefan Ahlgren" wrote in message
One question: You say on the website that the brightest star in the

Giraffe
is Beta. What happened to Alfa, or how come Beta is brighter than
Alfa???????
Keep up the good work!
/Stefan Ahlgren, Sweden

in the Bayer system, alpha should be the brightest. it is based on visual
observations, and when the magnitudes are close, the designation is not
always accurate.

peace,
jon

Old December 29th 03, 07:55 PM
Math Heijen

Hi Stefan,

I just checked my star atlas. Alpha has a magnitude of 4.29 while beta
has a magnitude of 4.03 (both visual magnitudes). So beta is the brightest!

Clear skies

Math
http://www.backyard-astro.com

Old December 29th 03, 08:18 PM
Stefan Ahlgren

Default Kemble's Cascade (binocular observing) AND RINGS!

I just checked my star atlas. Alpha has a magnitude of 4.29 while beta
has a magnitude of 4.03 (both visual magnitudes). So beta is the

brightest!

I'm a little amazed that they are able to descide the visual magnitude down
to 0.01. What is the human eye able to register? Do we see the difference
between 4.29 and 4.28? Or 4.3 and 4.2?
/Stefan

Old December 29th 03, 08:21 PM
Stefan Ahlgren

Regarding the subject: The rings are the topic of my 21:19 posting.
Sorry about the confusion.
/Stefan