Scaled submits SpaceShipOne for FAA-AST license.

Old July 4th 03, 05:47 AM
Rand Simberg

Default Scaled submits SpaceShipOne for FAA-AST license.

On 3 Jul 2003 21:23:48 -0700, in a place far, far away,
(Clark S. Lindsey) made the phosphor on my

According to Aviation Week, Scaled Composites has filed an
application for a launch license for the SS1 from the FAA's
Office of Space Commercialization (
http://ast.faa.gov/) -

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/new...sship07033.xml

This would be the AST's first RLV license but they don't
anticipate any "showstoppers" that would prevent a December launch.

Scaled will, however, continue to negotiate with the FAA for a simpler
experimental aircraft certification and also for less stringent
environmental requirements on Mojave Airport if it's classified as
a spaceport.

Maybe Burt decide to take Rand's advice:
http://www.interglobal.org/weblog/ar...86.html#002686

Could be, but I suspect that it was really a result of a call from the
X-Prize judges, informing him that an Air Force contract might get him
into space, but would disqualify him from the prize. Of course, that
call might have been a consequence of my...errrmmmm...interest...