NASA a NEW direction! ????

Old July 20th 03, 01:43 PM
Hallerb

Default NASA a NEW direction! ????

Lets take the existing nasa budget and move the dollars around a bit.

First build a capsule to orbit system using a expendable booster. This would
take people orr cargo to LEO. ISS or other operations.

With a good program how long would this take?

While this is going on we design a program for a visit to a asteroid thats
close by. Building a multi purpose lander, perhaps using a lunar module as a
rough blueprint.

Once the capsule system is up and running the shuttles are retired and the
money saved used for the asteroid mission, and a follow up one to the moon as a
precusor to mars. Moon mission coluld visit the farside and check out from a
distance one of the old apollo sites. Perhaps revisit the one thatr pilfered
the surveyor parts. Go back and saee what left of surveyor without damaging the
original landing site.

What do you all think?

The idea is to redirect the billions a year spent on shuttle to be spent on
other more interesting things.

Tho help fund it get sponsors. Pepsi to asteroid XXX Cokes mission to the
farside.

Old July 27th 03, 08:30 AM
Joseph S. Powell, III

We need to put a great, great deal of money on a much better STS system - a
2-or-3-stage-to-orbit system would do the trick, something possibly only
slightly smaller than the current shuttle, possibly resembling the Orion
spaceplane in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
THEN we need to construct a REAL space station, a rotating one, again like
in 2001....
After that, a polar moonbase would be in order, shuttling up melted and
cracked Lunar ice and Helium 3.....
Then we can proceed with nuclear-driven manned Mars missions....
Then we can do a few Asteroids, start construction of some Aldrin Cycler
Stations orbiting between Earth and Mars....then go for a manned mission to
the Jovian moons, etc, etc.
Unless Neo wakes us all up and we realize all this has already happened in
the REAL world, and we are just stuck in the Matrix.

Risks Hallerb Space Shuttle 38 July 26th 03 01:57 AM
Shuttle Investigator Faults NASA for Complacency Over Safety Scott M. Kozel Space Shuttle 1 July 20th 03 01:35 PM
NASA Announces Independent Engineering and Safety Center Ron Baalke Space Shuttle 0 July 15th 03 04:16 PM
NYT: NASA Management Failings Are Linked to Shuttle Demise Recom Space Shuttle 11 July 14th 03 05:45 PM
NASA: Gases Breached Wing of Shuttle Atlantis in 2000 Rusty Barton Space Shuttle 2 July 10th 03 01:27 AM