Hardin DOB????

Old December 4th 04, 01:26 PM
Szaki

Default Hardin DOB????

How good these hardin DOB's are? Seems very cheap, but any good?
Any one using them?

JS

Old December 4th 04, 07:10 PM
Szaki

"Jon Isaacs" wrote in message
How good these hardin DOB's are? Seems very cheap, but any good?
Any one using them?

JS

You might check out Cloudy Nights for some reviews.

I did, no review of the Hardin DOB's any where , at least under the Hardin
name?
Julius

Old December 4th 04, 07:24 PM
Szaki

"Rod Mollise" wrote in message
How good these hardin DOB's are? Seems very cheap, but any good?
Any one using them?

Hi:

If you like dobs, pretty good for the price, I'd say. I had the chance to
see
the Synta (Orion) and the Guan Sheng (Hardin) 12 inch dobs side by side
recently, and I preferred the Harding...mainly because the motions on both
axes
seemed better.

Don't know if I like them, never owned one, but they cheap for sure and easy
to set-up. But cheap in this hobby can mean frustration and stress.
I have an 11" SCT OTA, weight 22lb, very compact compare to 10"-12" DOB,
also can use it goto on my GP mount with the SS2K.
SCT takes some cool down time in cold weather, since it's a sealed tube.
I know Newt's have much smaller cent. obstr.(20-25%) than SCT's, so stars
show nicer, all though not on the edge.
I've seen 8" DOB's used, for less than $300, very tempting get one for quick
look.
Julius

Old December 4th 04, 07:32 PM
Bill Meyers

Jon Isaacs wrote:

Optically, I think they are quite decent. I was using mine last night to view
M36-M38, the widefield views with a Paracorr and my old 24mm TV Widefield were
very nice, don't think one could want more.

Thanks for the insights Dob marketing. I was wondering what was going on.

By the way, you and I are the only surviving users of the 24 mm Widefield.
I think it is a fine eyepiece, underappreciated. I use it instead of my
20 mm Nagler in my 6 inch f/5 Dob where balance is becoming a problem.
Ciao,
Bill Meyers

Old December 4th 04, 08:16 PM
Jan Owen

"Bill Meyers" wrote in message

Jon Isaacs wrote:

Optically, I think they are quite decent. I was using mine last night

to view
M36-M38, the widefield views with a Paracorr and my old 24mm TV

Widefield were
very nice, don't think one could want more.

Thanks for the insights Dob marketing. I was wondering what was going

on.

By the way, you and I are the only surviving users of the 24 mm

Widefield.
I think it is a fine eyepiece, underappreciated. I use it instead of my
20 mm Nagler in my 6 inch f/5 Dob where balance is becoming a problem.
Ciao,
Bill Meyers

Not QUITE so!

I still have, and still use, 15, 19, and 24mm WF's...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

Old December 4th 04, 08:37 PM
Bill Meyers

Jan,
You're hopeless. Get with it. The new eyepieces are hot, cool, huge,
awesome, shut up! The Widefields are so yesterday!:-)
I also have and use the 32mm Widefield. And, it may be that
you and I are the only surviving Galoc Erfle 16.3 Erfle users? I beleive
"golly!" was the term used when they were new.
Email me off line and let me know how your retirement is going.
Don't take any wooden nickels,
Bill

Old December 5th 04, 12:54 AM
Jon Isaacs

I've seen 8" DOB's used, for less than $300, very tempting get one for quick
look.
Julius

8 inch DOBs can be $300 new and sometimes shipped. I have an XT-8 that I
rarely use cause I have the 10 incher but I figure given todays prices I
couldn't get more than $250 for it even though I have done the Ebony
Star-Teflon thing to it and it has a nice 8x50 finder...

But cheap in this hobby can mean frustration and stress.

Got to make that distinction between "cheap" and "inexpensive."

The mounts on these things are bordering "cheap" but with a bit or work they
can be quite nice. The OTAs themselves are definitely "inexpensive."

Jon
Old December 5th 04, 01:53 AM
Szaki

"Jon Isaacs" wrote in message
I've seen 8" DOB's used, for less than $300, very tempting get one for
quick
look.
Julius

8 inch DOBs can be $300 new and sometimes shipped. I have an XT-8 that I
rarely use cause I have the 10 incher

*So, why you keep two DOB's, only 2" aparture difference?
Julius

Old December 5th 04, 02:22 AM
Joe S.

"Szaki" wrote in message

"Jon Isaacs" wrote in message
I've seen 8" DOB's used, for less than $300, very tempting get one for
quick
look.
Julius

8 inch DOBs can be $300 new and sometimes shipped. I have an XT-8 that

rarely use cause I have the 10 incher

*So, why you keep two DOB's, only 2" aparture difference?
Julius

Because you can never have too many scopes.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old December 5th 04, 04:43 AM
Jon Isaacs

*So, why you keep two DOB's, only 2" aparture difference?
Julius

I like em and I am not going to get enough money selling the 8 incher to make
it worth my while. One of these days the right person will come along and they
will walk out of my house with an 8 inch DOB....

Jon