ASTRO: Four open clusters (NGC 663, 654, IC166, Berkeley 6)

Old September 26th 17, 04:51 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Default ASTRO: Four open clusters (NGC 663, 654, IC166, Berkeley 6)

I recently put the Explore Scientific 0.7 3" reducer on my ES 127 FCD100 APO and was pleased to see that they both work well together.
As the sky was not good enough for faint stuff I imaged a field that contains four open clusters. IC 166 (upper left) is my favourite with all it's faint yellow stars.

Taken from Berlin with an ASI1600MC cool camera, 110x2 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	663-654-IC166-110x2kleinhellgut.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	6696
__________________
Stefan
Old September 27th 17, 02:10 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Nice group. The system works well.

I've done all but the Berkeley cluster. I'm slowly working on them but haven't yet hit it. Had it low on my priority. Seeing its wide range of very faint to bright stars I kicked that up a couple notches. Still time this year if the rain ever stops. We are getting a few mm each day so far this month. Only clear night this month was lost when all com ports vanished from the computer. I spent the night trying to recover them. Finally indesperation I rebooted the focuser. Suddenly all ports appeared, not just the one it was using. But then the seeing turned to worthless as a strong cold front came through dropping the temperature 2C every 5 minutes! I went from 25C to 10C in less than an hour. The ended the night but at least the com ports were back.

I had to do all individually. I really do need to get something for a wider field. Doesn't seem to be happening as I still have hundreds on the narrow field to-do list. The color contrast of IC 166's red color to the others. It is much more distant though not a lot more reddened. And is many times older though still rather young at a bit over 400 million years of age. Still I find it redder than I'd have expected compared to the other three. I got the same color for the three I did as you so must be correct.

NGC 654 has both a dark nebula to the northeast and a small reflection nebula on the southwest end. I doubt either are within reach from your location without many nights of subs. http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=180859

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post

Old October 1st 17, 10:34 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0CKY View Post
NGC 654 has both a dark nebula to the northeast and a small reflection nebula on the southwest end. I doubt either are within reach from your location without many nights of subs. http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=180859
I have NGC 654 on my list as a separate object because of the dark and reflection nebulae. Probably because of your image, otherwise I rarely put open clusters on my list.
The reflection nebula is hinted at in my image, but it is green instead of blue. Probably a remnant of the gradients I had to remove.
Stefan