Bright NOSS trios

Old July 7th 04, 11:12 AM
Ed Cannon

Default Bright NOSS trios

Right now NOSS 2-1 trio is making bright passes, southbound in
the evening -- with good conditions and a pass not too low in
the sky they can be easy to see without binoculars. This time
of year if NOSS 2-1, 2-2, or 2-3 trio are southbound in the
evening (at least for 30 north latitude), they're almost always
bright.

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA
(Remove "donotspam".)

Old July 8th 04, 11:21 AM
Ed Cannon

I wrote:

Right now NOSS 2-1 trio is making bright passes....

I should have added a link to this very informative web page:

http://www.satobs.org/noss.html

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA
(Remove "donotspam".)

Old July 9th 04, 07:36 AM
Patty Winter

Thanks to Ed for the heads-up on this. I watched a pass about
half an hour ago. It's interesting to see how the geometry of
the triangle changes as the trio moves through the sky.

Patty

Old July 10th 04, 02:58 AM
Ron Netzley

In article ,
(Ed Cannon) writes:

http://www.satobs.org/noss.html

Palm Bay Florida-USA;

Watched Noss 2-1 fly by to the N/E @ 21:40 (06/09/04)
Could only pick out 2 satellites - the lead and then the lower trailing one.
Was wondering if the third is visible and I just missed it?
This was my 1st try to see this groupe so I wasn't sure wat to expect.

Netz135

Old July 10th 04, 04:42 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Ron Netzley wrote:

Watched Noss 2-1 fly by to the N/E @ 21:40 (06/09/04)
Could only pick out 2 satellites - the lead and then the lower trailing one.
Was wondering if the third is visible and I just missed it?
This was my 1st try to see this groupe so I wasn't sure wat to expect.

I can't say for sure why you didn't see three, Ron, but when I saw
them last night, they were all the same magnitude. And they *barely*
fit in the field of view of my 8x40 binocs. The lead one was way out
in front of the other two.

Patty

Old July 10th 04, 03:22 PM
Ron Netzley

Hmmmm ??
I was using 8/56 binocs - and my wife was using 8/40's. Both have plenty FOV
so not sure why we missed the 3rd member.
We were in the correct feild (Cygnus) at the correct time for us (21:40 mid
point) and what were saw was definately flying a parallel path.
Do they fly an angled straight line - or a triangle formation?
(might help us the next time)

Thanx Patty!!!

Ron