Jeff Bezos' Space Plans

Old July 1st 18, 12:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Jeff Bezos' Space Plans

"Blue origin essentially wants to enable lunar manufacturing. Bezos thinks that
moving the heavy industry to the moon and hollowed asteroids will help conserve
resources on earth, which could be reserved for "residential and light industrial"
purposes in the future.

Also, Bezos apparently likes the European Space Agency’s concept of a Moon Village
where all lunar outposts are concentrated in a single region for potential
resource-sharing the most. As Geekwire noted, Bezos views Blue Origin as primarily
about lowering the cost of cargo delivery to space rather than actually getting
too deeply involved in the construction of things like habitats, so this would all
set up the company nicely to be a sort of Space Amazon for said Moon Village.

For that, blue origin would deliver five tons of payload to the moon so that other
private space companies can get the ball rolling."

"During the chat, the billionaire positioned himself as the successor to the
late O'Neill, a former Princeton University professor who envisioned massive,
Earth-like colonies floating in space during the 1970s in his book "The High
Frontier."

"Professor O'Neill was very formative for me," Bezos said. "I read 'The High
Frontier' in high school. I read it multiple times. And I was already primed.
And as soon as I read it, it made sense to me. It seemed very clear that
planetary surfaces were not the right place for an expanding civilization inside
the solar system."

"For one, they're not that big," he added. "There's another argument I always
make too, [which] is, they're hard to get to. [If] we build our own colonies, we
can do them in near-Earth vicinity, because people will want to come back to
Earth. Very few people — for a long time, anyway — are going to want to abandon
Earth altogether."

By using the resources on the moon and in the asteroid belt, humans could build
massive colonies to escape the limitations of Earth and avoid society's
stagnation; the finite resources on Earth would keep humanity from growing to
its full potential.Bezos said he thinks that is "a very bad future." "It's not
the future that I want for my grandchildren or my grandchildren's
grandchildren," he said. "And I doubt anybody in this room wants that for their
descendants.""

See:

https://www.nowscience.co.uk/single-...within-decades

&