Investment in asterroid mining

Old November 24th 16, 06:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Investment in asterroid mining

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 12:21:41 PM UTC+13, Alain Fournier wrote:
Luxembourg to invest 25M€ in Planetary Resources, an asteroid mining
startup. See
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aste...ment-1.3835047

Cool.

Alain Fournier

https://www.scribd.com/doc/212158958/Asteroid-Mining

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...s-in-our-stars

A solar powered self replicating machine system that's propelled by a solar powered ion rocket that masses under 300 kg - can be launched for under $1 million - as a secondary payload - and make its way to any Earth crossing asteroid. Once there, it grows to encompass the asteroid and return the rare materials to Earth.

Old November 24th 16, 01:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 12:21:41 PM UTC+13, Alain Fournier wrote:
Luxembourg to invest 25M¤ in Planetary Resources, an asteroid mining
startup. See
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aste...ment-1.3835047

Cool.

Alain Fournier

https://www.scribd.com/doc/212158958/Asteroid-Mining

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...s-in-our-stars

A solar powered self replicating machine system that's propelled by a solar powered ion rocket that masses under 300 kg - can be launched for under $1 million - as a secondary payload - and make its way to any Earth crossing asteroid. Once there, it grows to encompass the asteroid and return the rare materials to Earth.

Self replicating machines of the type you envision simply do not exist
yet. If they did, they'd be taking over terrestrial mining today.

Jeff
Old November 24th 16, 10:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

I agree swarm robots will revolutionise mining. I disagree that they do not exist.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/r...r-space-mining

Old November 25th 16, 08:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

I agree swarm robots will revolutionise mining. I disagree that they do not exist.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/r...r-space-mining

You snipped all the content so you could move the goal posts. These are
absolutely not self replicating like you originally asserted.

Jeff
Old November 25th 16, 11:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 8:35:38 AM UTC+13, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

I agree swarm robots will revolutionise mining. I disagree that they do not exist.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/r...r-space-mining

You snipped all the content so you could move the goal posts. These are
absolutely not self replicating like you originally asserted.

Jeff

Its funny you complain when it is you who can't put two and two together and reliably get four! lol.

Rao, D. Bhogeswara, Choudary, U. V., Erstfeld, T. E., Williams, R. J., and Chang, Y. A., "Extraction Processes for the Production of Aluminum, Titanium, Iron, Magnesium, and Oxygen from Nonterrestrial Sources," in J. Billingham, W. Gilbreath, and B. O'Leary, eds., Space Resources and Space Settlements, NASA SP-428, 1979, pp. 257-274.

http://www.islandone.org/MMSG/aasm/chapter5.htm

http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/Growin...actory1981.htm

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-self-repl...gal-1463732482

Old November 26th 16, 03:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

Island One is mostly filled with crazys like yourself. Theories on top
of theories. From your reference (from 1980?!? Holy crap, that's
old!), emphasis mine:

Given that in THEORY, machines can construct duplicates of
themselves...

CAN all machine functions required both for production and
for replication and growth be implemented?

http://www.rfreitas.com/Astro/Growin...actory1981.htm

Also very dated (1981?!?). Furthermore, your reading comprehension
sucks rocks. From your reference:

Before embarking upon such an ambitious undertaking it must first
be shown that machine self-replication and growth is a fundamentally
feasible goal.

So self replicating machines do *not* exist according to the paper you
cite. Do you even *read* your sources, or just skim them for the bits
that agree with your delusional world view?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-self-repl...gal-1463732482

The third begs the question why haven't we encountered self replicating
*extraterrestrial* robots. No big surprise there, it's an io9/gizmodo
article. Also, no evidence that self replicating robots even exist on
earth. It's all just a thought experiment.

Conclusion: You're an idiot. None of *your* cites say that self
replicating robots actually exist today. You're spouting decades old
theories that have not yet come to fruition.

Jeff
Old November 27th 16, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 3:10:59 AM UTC+13, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Who's crazy? Someone who cites a NASA publication on self-replicating machine systems? Or someone who attacks NASA as being crazy? I think someone who makes adhominem attacks on NASA scientists without one scintilla of evidence is crazy. Most people do.

Proceedings of the 1980 NASA/ASEE Summer Study
Held at the University of Santa Clara
June 23-August 29, 1980

NASA Conference Publication 2255

Theories on top
of theories. From your reference (from 1980?!? Holy crap, that's
old!), emphasis mine:

The self replicating machine concept is even older! Here's a paper from 1966

http://cba.mit.edu/events/03.11.ASE/docs/VonNeumann.pdf

From those crazy idiots at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. You know the type, top 0.1% in intelligence, very capable, and well-trained. Nothing at all like the self-styled experts who post here! lol.

Given that in THEORY, machines can construct duplicates of
themselves...

Yes, Von-Neumann proved mathematically that such machinery can exist. The proof didn't tell us how to build one however, only the general features of such a machine. So, until a universal constructor is actually built, self-replicating machinery will be forever a THEORY.

That's why the work of Vik Oliver who works here in New Zealand today, is so important. In 2005 the first self replicating machine was completed and quickly turned into the rep-rap project, where anyone of any competence can build their own self replicating machine themselves!

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Of course understanding the limitations of the self-styled experts here, I would wager none of them have actually built their own self-replicating machine or have contributed in any way to the art since 2005.

Newton published his Principia 5 July 1687. I suppose on that basis he's full of **** too? eh? lol. NOT!

Before embarking upon such an ambitious undertaking it must first
be shown that machine self-replication and growth is a fundamentally
feasible goal.

Yeah, like building one.

So self replicating machines do *not* exist according to the paper you
cite.

There's this thing called 'the internet' it has something called 'search engines' here a KNOWLEDGEABLE person find vast amounts of interesting and valid information.

Do you even *read* your sources, or just skim them for the bits
that agree with your delusional world view?

Its funny that deluded people think others who don't share their dim bulb views of reality as being deluded.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-self-repl...gal-1463732482

The third begs the question why haven't we encountered self replicating
*extraterrestrial* robots. No big surprise there, it's an io9/gizmodo
article. Also, no evidence that self replicating robots even exist on
earth. It's all just a thought experiment.

Gismodo popularises science. Its funny how people who don't read ANY real science misread the journalistic requirement of narrative balance in a scientific report as a valid scientific conclusion.

The primary reason we haven't encountered ETI is;

(a) ETI is vastly more capable than us, and they would not be detectable by us unless they wanted that
(b) The cosmos is really really really big! Bigger than most people imagine.
(c) Interstellar travel is irreducibly dangerous - and that danger scales with distance.
(d) The cosmos has been around a really long time. Longer than species exist.

Travelling at 97% light speed for 1,000 years star time takes you 970 light years. That's 9.18x10^18 meters. That means that a square meter surface area has swept out 9.18*10^18 cubic meters. A volume of space 2,094 cubic KILOMETERS on a side! Now what are the odds of running across something in that volume of space that wipes out the spacecraft? (for each square meter of frontal area). Let's be optimistic - let's say its 50% - let's say its 50% for 1000 square meters over that distance.

So, here's the probability of vehicle loss with distance;

Distance LY Probability of Loss

1,000 50.0000000000000000%
2,000 75.0000000000000000%
5,000 96.8750000000000000%
10,000 99.9023437500000000%
20,000 99.9999046325684000%
50,000 99.9999999999999000%
100,000 100.0000000000000000%
200,000 100.0000000000000000%
500,000 100.0000000000000000%
1,000,000 100.0000000000000000%
2,000,000 100.0000000000000000%

Your odds of making it in a single journey (or multiple journeys for that matter) to the Galactic Center and back is one in a trillion! The odds of winning a lottery several times in a row are greater than making it to the Galactic Center! lol.

Conclusion: You're an idiot.

Funny how easily arrogant and stupid people come to such conclusions. It protects them from any real self examination that would permit real growth as a decent human being.

None of *your* cites say that self
replicating robots actually exist today.

yawn There's a thing called the internet. The first self replicating machine was widely reported in 2005 in the academic press. Since that time a global movement called 'rep rap' has been instituted. Through that movement tens of thousands of people, including myself, have built their own self replicating machinery. Any competent person knows this.

You're spouting decades old
theories that have not yet come to fruition.

It only seems that way to those who don't understand the present situation.

Jeff

Jeff thinks this disclaimer will protect him. It will not.
Old November 27th 16, 03:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Fermi's Paradox

[...]

There is a way to reliably get to a distant point, with this kind of loss mechanism. Namely, scan the self replicating ship and send a self replicating seed to build the ship at the distant location from local parts from any ONE of the seeds that happen to arrive there. Multiple seeds work together to build the ship up more quickly.

WHat's the odds of total loss then?

----------------------------- Parts
Distance LY Probability of Loss 10000 10000000 1.00E+12
1,000 50.0000000000000000% 0.000% 0.000% 0.000%
2,000 75.0000000000000000% 0.000% 0.000% 0.000%
5,000 96.8750000000000000% 0.000% 0.000% 0000%
10,000 99.9023437500000000% 0.006% 0.000% 0.000%
20,000 99.9999046325684000% 99.051% 0.007% 0.000%
50,000 99.9999999999999000% 100.000% 100.000% 99.911%
100,000 100.0000000000000000% 100.000% 100.000% 100.000%
200,000 100.0000000000000000% 100.000% 100.000% 100.000%
500,000 100.0000000000000000% 100.000% 100.000% 100.000%
1,000,000 100.0000000000000000% 100.000% 100.000% 100.000%
2,000,000 100.0000000000000000% 100.000% 100.000% 100.000%

As you can see if you send 10,000 parts, you have virtual certainty of arriving at 5,000 light years but virtual certainty of loss arriving at 50,000 light years. Send 100 million parts, each capable of growing into a complete self replicating probe, and you can reliably get to 20,000 light years, but still not 50,000 light years. Expand your seed count to 1 trillion - and you start to make a dent in the 50,000 light year probability of loss.

Old November 27th 16, 03:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

UFO's and the Alien Agenda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWxsz38c4H0

Old November 27th 16, 02:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...
None of *your* cites say that self
replicating robots actually exist today.

yawn There's a thing called the internet. The first self replicating machine was widely reported in 2005 in the academic press. Since that time a global movement called 'rep rap' has been instituted. Through that movement tens of thousands of people, including myself, have built their own self replicating machinery. Any competent person knows this.

Toys found only in R&D departments, not mining machines.

You're spouting decades old
theories that have not yet come to fruition.

It only seems that way to those who don't understand the present situation.

You are the one postulating the existence of autonomous self replicating
machines capable of mining an asteroid and building more of themselves.
I don't want you to dredge up theoretical papers from the 1980s. We're
all aware of the theory. But, theory alone will not mine an asteroid.

If such a thing were possible today, they would absolutely be used in
terrestrial mining operations because once the first machine was built,
you quite literally would not need to build anymore. It would
absolutely revolutionize the mining industry.

Where are the self replicating mining machines, Mook?

Jeff