Planetary Nebula Abell 82 Two Views

Old April 12th 16, 09:00 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Planetary Nebula Abell 82 Two Views

Abell 82 is a planetary nebula in western Cassiopeia about 1000 light-years by the only measurement I could find. The central star is a puzzle being a K0 sub giant star by this paper http://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/ful...984-09/T4.html . Their table lists two K0 and two K3 stars along with a few M class central stars. This goes against the central star being a white dwarf so what's wrong? A K0 sub giant shouldn't put out enough UV to excite a SN. Besides, its the outer envelope being blown off that forms the PN yet a K0 star still has its outer layers intact. I have no idea how this can happen. Is the central star a double star in which the white dwarf is swamped by the much brighter giant or sub giant star? Is the central star too faint and there just happens to be a handy nearby one that gets tabbed for this? The planetary's size in my LRGB image is 80" of arc which makes it about 0.39 light-years across. This doesn't consider the faint ears seen in OIII light. They give it a diameter of about 113" for a size of 0.55 light-years assuming the 1000 light-year distance is correct. Lots of ifs in this so the error could be substantial.

I had started this one years ago but only got a couple frames. Somehow it never was finished until I was reminded of it by a narrow band post by Derek Santiago http://www.pbase.com/dsantiago/image/160958220 . That got it back on my to-do list. Last October I managed to get it in LRGB and then in January get some H alpha data. Not having an OIII filter I wasn't able to pick up the "ears" that Derek did. Not having seen anyone try it in LRGB I had to see what that would show. I then added the H alpha data which pretty much wiped out the OIII even in the parts where OIII is stronger than H alpha since I couldn't isolate that frequency. Adding the H alpha brought out its classic "apple core" appearance. Each has something to offer.

There's nothing else in the field worth mentioning that I noticed so I didn't prepare an annotated image.

First without H alpha data then with H alpha data. Note that my H alpha filter at 6nm bandwidth also passes NII. How much NII is involved I don't know. Just that the red is a composite of both elements.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10', HA=4x30', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PNABELL82L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	557.0 KB
ID:	6184  Click image for larger version

Name:	PNABELL82L4X10RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	6185  Click image for larger version

Name:	PNABELL82L4X10HA4X30RGB2X10R.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	6186  Click image for larger version

Name:	PNABELL82L4X10HA4X30RGB2X10R-CROP125.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	6187