The Sky at Night since Patrick's death

Old May 6th 13, 07:02 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
James Harris[_2_]

Default The Sky at Night since Patrick's death

With the demise of Patrick Moore it seems to me that the soul has gone
out of The Sky at Night. I've given it a few months to try to adjust
to the new presentation but the programme seems much blander. Anyone
else feel the same way?

In his later appearances Patrick had little part to play but it's not
the same without him. Any idea why the programme is so different? I've
been trying to work it out but haven't come up with a clear answer.

(crossposted to uk.sci.astronomy, uk.media.tv.misc)

James
Old May 6th 13, 07:10 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
John Bristow[_3_]

"James Harris" wrote in message

With the demise of Patrick Moore it seems to me that the soul has gone
out of The Sky at Night. I've given it a few months to try to adjust
to the new presentation but the programme seems much blander. Anyone
else feel the same way?

I have not seen The Sky at Night for a long time, my recorder seems to have
missed it, so I can't comment on the programme. I had a feeling the the BBC
wanted to drop it for a long time so I was not surprised to find that it had
not been recorded. I must see if I can find it on catch up although I guess
that it may no be available now.

Old May 7th 13, 10:49 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Dry Gulch Pete

On May 6, 7:02*pm, James Harris wrote:
With the demise of Patrick Moore it seems to me that the soul has gone
out of The Sky at Night. I've given it a few months to try to adjust
to the new presentation

Who's the presenter?

--
DGP
Old May 7th 13, 02:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
James Harris[_2_]

On May 7, 10:49*am, Dry Gulch Pete wrote:
On May 6, 7:02*pm, James Harris wrote:

With the demise of Patrick Moore it seems to me that the soul has gone
out of The Sky at Night. I've given it a few months to try to adjust
to the new presentation

Who's the presenter?

There isn't one!

There are *two* bracketing presenters: Lucie Green and Chris Lintott.
They and others shown he

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk7h

James
Old May 7th 13, 06:02 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Tennant Stuart

In article , "John Bristow"
wrote:

"James Harris" wrote in message

With the demise of Patrick Moore it seems to me that the soul has gone
out of The Sky at Night. I've given it a few months to try to adjust
to the new presentation but the programme seems much blander. Anyone
else feel the same way?

It's more about stargazing than cosmology these days, but see below.

I have not seen The Sky at Night for a long time, my recorder seems to
have missed it, so I can't comment on the programme. I must see if I can
find on catch up although I guess that it may no be available now.

The extended 'more scientific' repeat is on BBC-4 next Thursday.

Tennant Stuart

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

Old May 7th 13, 11:26 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Basil Jet

On 2013\05\07 18:02, Tennant Stuart wrote:

The extended 'more scientific' repeat is on BBC-4 next Thursday.

I see no virtue in them doing that. They should make the short programme
and show it twice and then make the extension as a separate programme
and show it once. It would make it easier for us to make sure we see
them both, instead of having to check lengths.
Old May 8th 13, 10:47 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Max Demian

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2013\05\07 18:02, Tennant Stuart wrote:

The extended 'more scientific' repeat is on BBC-4 next Thursday.

I see no virtue in them doing that. They should make the short programme
and show it twice and then make the extension as a separate programme and
show it once. It would make it easier for us to make sure we see them
both, instead of having to check lengths.

Just always watch the BBC4 edition. It's only a few days later. The stars
will still be there.

--
Max Demian

Old May 8th 13, 12:42 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Basil Jet

On 2013\05\08 10:47, Max Demian wrote:
"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2013\05\07 18:02, Tennant Stuart wrote:

The extended 'more scientific' repeat is on BBC-4 next Thursday.

I see no virtue in them doing that. They should make the short programme
and show it twice and then make the extension as a separate programme and
show it once. It would make it easier for us to make sure we see them
both, instead of having to check lengths.

Just always watch the BBC4 edition. It's only a few days later. The stars
will still be there.

Thanks, but TV Programmes shouldn't have to come with a user manual. A
long programme called "The Sky At Night" and a short programme called
"The Sky At Night School" would, as Apple would say, "just work".

Unless the extra stuff is dotted through the programme, which I didn't
think it was.
Old May 8th 13, 01:22 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Dry Gulch Pete

On 7 May, 14:14, James Harris wrote:
On May 7, 10:49*am, Dry Gulch Pete wrote:

On May 6, 7:02*pm, James Harris wrote:

With the demise of Patrick Moore it seems to me that the soul has gone
out of The Sky at Night. I've given it a few months to try to adjust
to the new presentation

Who's the presenter?

There isn't one!

There are *two* bracketing presenters: Lucie Green and Chris Lintott.
They and others shown he

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk7h

Thanks, so long as it isn't bracketed by Jeremy Vine and Huw Thomas!

--
DGP
Old May 9th 13, 01:17 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Wed, 8 May 2013 10:47:04 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

The extended 'more scientific' repeat is on BBC-4 next Thursday.

And Friday 0150
And Sunday 0105

I see no virtue in them doing that. They should make the short
programme and show it twice and then make the extension as a separate
programme and show it once. It would make it easier for us to make
sure we see them both, instead of having to check lengths.

Quite and why make two versions in the first place? Will they cross trail
them? Or at least mention the longer in the "mainstream" (read dumbed
down) BBC1/2 edition. The ones I've seen sinc Mr Moores death have been
reasonable and more in the "lets encourage people to look" line than a
monthly science magazine about the latest astronomy news.

Just always watch the BBC4 edition.

But that won't be available in HD.

I've already got the 20 min version as shown on BBC1 HD on Fri 6th 0006.
The BBC2 HD transmission Sat 11th 1110 is also 20 mins but all the BBC4
ones are listed as 30 mins. I've set one of those to record to see what
the differences are.

Oh and an Horizon about Mars that follows one of the BBC4 Sky at Night
Tx's. I suspect I know most of the content of that Horizon as it's by
Kevin Fong who has just done 2 Discovery programmes on Mars for the World
Service...

--
Cheers
Dave.