How Commercial Space Is Paying Off Now

Old April 16th 12, 05:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default How Commercial Space Is Paying Off Now

"It’s still a “Field of Dreams” proposition—“if you build
it, they will come.” Even so, NASA’s as-yet-unrealized
efforts to offload routine human space access onto the
private sector is beginning to ripple across the U.S.
launch industry in ways that could go well beyond
transporting people and their stuff into space.

Brash entrepreneurs like Elon Musk, who openly
declares his intention to take over the worldwide
launch industry with lower-cost launchers than the
competition’s, are exerting downward price pressure
on traditional launch-vehicle manufacturers. And the
possibility of an off-planet economy in low Earth orbit
(LEO) has triggered a new round of innovative
launcher designs, not all of them “paper rockets”
and some of them quite different from traditional
vehicles.

“We’ve selected the Atlas V for our test flights
through the Commercial Crew Program,” says
John Mulholland, vice president and manager of
Commercial Programs for Boeing Space Exploration.
“But we will continue to maintain our design to be
compatible with multiple launch vehicles so that we
can competitively procure launch vehicles in the
future, which is important for us to maintain best
value, obviously. The launch vehicle is such a huge
portion of our offer.”"

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...w&channel=awst