Repurposing Express-AM4 by Dennis Wingo

Old March 20th 12, 02:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

Default Repurposing Express-AM4 by Dennis Wingo

Anyone else but me remember Dennis Wingo? Well, it looks like he's
doing some interesting things...

Repurposing Express-AM4: Mission Possible: Recycling Space Junk into
Antarctic Science Treasure

By Dennis Wingo, Co-Founder Polar Broadband Ltd.
Posted Monday, March 19, 2012

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1626

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old March 21st 12, 03:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Posted Monday, March 19, 2012

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1626

Jeff

I remember him. Best of luck to him on such a worthy cause!

Brian

Old April 15th 12, 03:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Posted Monday, March 19, 2012

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1626

Jeff

I remember him. Best of luck to him on such a worthy cause!

Brian

I remember the name but not the reason why I remember him. Was he a poster here? For some reason I seem to remember also the casting
of aspersions his way, with phrases such as "Wingnut" often applied? I dunno my memory is hazy here. Google can be my friend. This
idea doesn't seem too off-the-wall to me. Actually very clever.. however....

Alas according to this YouTube posting, not to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jFS2W-lOPjQ

"CNES controllers, under the direction of the Russian owners of the spacecraft, foolishly re-entered the satellite on March 25,
2012. The disposal of the satellite was publicly justified using false claims of "radiation damage". As a result, a[n] unbelievable
opportunity to change the way science is done in the Antarctic was missed."

The use of the term "foolishly" is an obvious editorial jibe on the part of the poster.

For the sake of argument this seems like the classic example of "Money talks, BS walks".
Had Dennis and Co. had the $$$ upfront to just buy it from the Russians they'd probably be nursing it into its new orbit now as I
write this. As it is, by de-orbiting it the Russians effectively end the cost of support of a non-money earner and eliminate any
liability. I suppose the decision was easy for them, but science's loss.

It just re-emphasizes to me just how hard it is to be a bottom-feeder in the satcom business...

Dave