google groups is broke again:(

Old March 1st 12, 12:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Default google groups is broke again:(

sometimes i cant get in at all, but consistently i am unable to see
anything past the list of topics.

google is such a big operation why cant they keep their groups
functional?
Old March 8th 12, 09:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
B0b Mosley

On Mar 1, 6:21*am, bob haller wrote:
sometimes i cant get in at all,

....Which means *someone* at Google is actually trying to do their job
right for a change. With a little more practice, hopefully they can
remove "sometimes" from that statement above.

OM

Old March 15th 12, 11:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Robert Clark

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:21:29 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
sometimes i cant get in at all, but consistently i am unable to see
anything past the list of topics.

google is such a big operation why cant they keep their groups
functional?

My biggest complaint against Google Groups since Google took over Usenet was that the search function was so poor: numerous posts didn't show up in a search.
The new version appears to be much better in picking up relevant posts, though I haven't tested it enough to say it picks up all the relevant ones.
One complaint I have against the new version is that it doesn't have the list of posts of a thread in the left panel that you can sort by posting date. This was very convenient in scrolling through long discussion threads.

Bob Clark
Old March 18th 12, 10:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Robert Clark" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:21:29 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
sometimes i cant get in at all, but consistently i am unable to see
anything past the list of topics.

google is such a big operation why cant they keep their groups
functional?

My biggest complaint against Google Groups since Google took over Usenet
was that the search function was so poor: numerous posts didn't show up in
a search.

Ok, let's clarify something. Google didn't and couldn't take over Usenet.
Usenet is a distributed infrastructure. There's no centralized set of
servers.

That said, Google cares about any thing as much as their attention span
allows and as much as it permits targeting of advertising.

The new version appears to be much better in picking up relevant posts,
though I haven't tested it enough to say it picks up all the relevant
ones.
One complaint I have against the new version is that it doesn't have the
list of posts of a thread in the left panel that you can sort by posting
date. This was very convenient in scrolling through long discussion
threads.

My advice, look to another usenet provider and software if you don't like
Google.

Bob Clark

Old March 19th 12, 06:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

I'm using Eternal September for my news server and running MicoroPlanet
Gravity for my Windows newsreader. It's an acceptable solution and far
better than Google Groups, IMHO.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old March 19th 12, 08:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Jeff Findley expressed precisely :
In article ,
says...

[...]

But E-S doesn't have a deep archive of posts (it's time and/or volume
limited), and few archives outside of DJN/GG have been conveniently
searchable. And GG is still pretty searchable for things that aren't
in the *recent* past.

Part of the problem may be that people at Google don't work for Jeff
Bezos (aside from his direct contributions to sci.space.* topics). A
posting in one of the development groups I follow had a link to an
insightful comment that Google is still making Products rather than
Platforms (see also SOA). That may be why GG search functions aren't
as robust as they used to be (or maybe the indexing functions aren't as
robust as they used to be).

Of course, with a "proper" newsreader, one can _read_ postings faster,
especially with taking advantage of kill-files. I was able to use
killfiles on GG for quite a while, which greatly improved the
experience, but the script author couldn't keep up with the changes to
GG (and the scripts didn't work in all browser without knowing more
behind-the-scenes stuff than I wanted to deal with).

Also, "proper" newsreaders have gotten pretty good about not
introducing protocol errors.

I spent quite a long time happily using GG, and I still consider it a
valuable resource, but the sands of time have moved me from using it as
my primary reader. Fortunately, my current firewall environment
doesn't block NNTP.

/dps

--
Who, me?

Old March 20th 12, 12:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article mn.9b377dc3aa6825e5.127094@snitoo,
says...

Jeff Findley expressed precisely :
In article ,
says...
My advice, look to another usenet provider and software if you

don't like
Google.

I'm using Eternal September for my news server and running MicoroPlanet
Gravity for my Windows newsreader. It's an acceptable solution and far
better than Google Groups, IMHO.

But E-S doesn't have a deep archive of posts (it's time and/or volume
limited), and few archives outside of DJN/GG have been conveniently
searchable. And GG is still pretty searchable for things that aren't
in the *recent* past.

In that regard, Eternal September isn't unlike the newservers of old, so
I'm used to it. It really wasn't until Deja News that a searchable
archive was developed.

Part of the problem may be that people at Google don't work for Jeff
Bezos (aside from his direct contributions to sci.space.* topics). A
posting in one of the development groups I follow had a link to an
insightful comment that Google is still making Products rather than
Platforms (see also SOA). That may be why GG search functions aren't
as robust as they used to be (or maybe the indexing functions aren't as
robust as they used to be).

Of course, with a "proper" newsreader, one can _read_ postings faster,
especially with taking advantage of kill-files. I was able to use
killfiles on GG for quite a while, which greatly improved the
experience, but the script author couldn't keep up with the changes to
GG (and the scripts didn't work in all browser without knowing more
behind-the-scenes stuff than I wanted to deal with).

This is my main use case. If I need to search for something old, I'll
use Google Groups. But for the 99.9% of the reading I do, Eternal
September is preferable, to Google Groups.

Also, "proper" newsreaders have gotten pretty good about not
introducing protocol errors.

I spent quite a long time happily using GG, and I still consider it a
valuable resource, but the sands of time have moved me from using it as
my primary reader. Fortunately, my current firewall environment
doesn't block NNTP.

Good thing. Our environment here at work doesn't block it, but our ISP
removed their newsserver a year or two ago. I was already using
Microplanet Gravity, so switching the server wasn't a big deal to me.

Jeff
Old May 2nd 12, 07:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Robert Clark

On Mar 15, 7:24*am, Robert Clark wrote:
On Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:21:29 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
sometimes i cant get in at all, but consistently i am unable to see
anything past the list of topics.

googleis such a big operation why cant they keep theirgroups
functional?

*My biggest complaint againstGoogleGroupssinceGoogletook over Usenet was that the search function was so poor: numerous posts didn't show up in a search.
*Thenewversion appears to be much better in picking up relevant posts, though I haven't tested it enough to say it picks up all the relevant ones.
*One complaint I have against thenewversion is that it doesn't have the list of posts of a thread in the left panel that you can sort by posting date. This was very convenient in scrolling through long discussion threads.

*Bob Clark

There also doesn't seem to be a function for cross-posting to
different groups, at least I haven't found how to do it.

Bob Clark
Old May 2nd 12, 07:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
snidely

Robert Clark wrote on 5/1/2012 :
On Mar 15, 7:24*am, Robert Clark wrote:
On Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:21:29 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
sometimes i cant get in at all, but consistently i am unable to see
anything past the list of topics.

googleis such a big operation why cant they keep theirgroups
functional?

*My biggest complaint againstGoogleGroupssinceGoogletook over Usenet was
that the search function was so poor: numerous posts didn't show up in a
search.

This actually took a long time to happen. Through 2005 or so, the
search function was very good. The classic interface still gets good
search results if the posts being searched for are old enough.

The last I tried it, the new interface was better for reading and worse
for posting, but I've been sticking to the classic interface as backup
to my main newsreader.

*Thenewversion appears to be much better in picking up relevant
posts, though I haven't tested it enough to say it picks up all the relevant
ones. *One complaint I have against thenewversion is that it doesn't have
the list of posts of a thread in the left panel that you can sort by posting
date. This was very convenient in scrolling through long discussion threads.

*Bob Clark

There also doesn't seem to be a function for cross-posting to
different groups, at least I haven't found how to do it.

In the classic interface, the newsgroup line could be edited; it
appeared directly above the main text box for the post. I don't see
that in the new interface; I don't even see (in NGG) that your post is
cross-posted unless I select "show original".

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Google Groups [email protected] Astronomy Misc 5 January 8th 07 03:01 PM
Old engineering maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"... But itwas broke! Sam Wormley Amateur Astronomy 27 August 24th 05 05:07 AM
ATTN: Google Groups now improving! (was: google now useless) Daniel Joseph Min Astronomy Misc 2 March 22nd 05 02:54 PM
ATTN: Google Groups now improving! (was: google now useless) Daniel Joseph Min Amateur Astronomy 2 March 22nd 05 02:54 PM
REPOST: ATTN: Google Groups now improving! (was: google now useless) Saul Levy Misc 0 March 16th 05 09:03 PM