Is this how a "Great Red Spot" could start?

Old June 9th 11, 08:48 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Default Is this how a "Great Red Spot" could start?

Jet stream in our latitudes, not only part travelling east to west but
forming a circle
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h84_00.gif
in a couple of days time. Jetstreams with Rosby wave shedding is a
quasi-stable system but could a circlular path become self-sustaining?

Old June 9th 11, 10:31 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Apparently stable and centre position, over 5 days, taking a retrograde
track southerly about 10 degrees of latitude and westerly 30 degrees of
longitude

Old June 9th 11, 12:35 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
Rob[_6_]

On 09/06/2011 08:48, N_Cook wrote:
Jet stream in our latitudes, not only part travelling east to west but
forming a circle
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h84_00.gif
in a couple of days time. Jetstreams with Rosby wave shedding is a
quasi-stable system but could a circlular path become self-sustaining?

Only semi-stable I would think. It is thought that land masses are
what ultimately destabilises these systems on Earth and that lack
of such on gas giants is why these features last so long there.

Old June 9th 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Rob wrote in message
On 09/06/2011 08:48, N_Cook wrote:
Jet stream in our latitudes, not only part travelling east to west but
forming a circle
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h84_00.gif
in a couple of days time. Jetstreams with Rosby wave shedding is a
quasi-stable system but could a circlular path become self-sustaining?

Only semi-stable I would think. It is thought that land masses are
what ultimately destabilises these systems on Earth and that lack
of such on gas giants is why these features last so long there.

5 days from about
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/11060800_j...am_atl_h24.gif
to about
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h120_00.gif
is a fair amount of stability

Not even Shoemaker-Levy 9 phased the 180 year reign of Jupiter's spot ,
anticylonic that one , some stable system that.

Old June 10th 11, 12:09 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

looks like 6.5 day duration to 06:00 next wednesday , so far

Old June 12th 11, 09:03 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h120_00.gif
for June 17th looks similar to
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/11060800_j...am_atl_h24.gif
of June 8th . I wonder if it can get locked-in to a circle for another week

Old June 14th 11, 08:49 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

looks as though it will break by the 20th
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h120_00.gif
12 day reign is something though

Old June 22nd 11, 08:26 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

coming back into the loop again
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h120_00.gif

Old June 23rd 11, 10:38 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
Weatherlawyer[_2_]

On Jun 9, 10:31*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Apparently stable and centre position, over 5 days, *taking a retrograde
track southerly about 10 degrees of latitude and westerly 30 degrees of
longitude

Always check the other oceans for stuff occurring in the North
Atlantic. Tropical storms in the southern oceans show up at northern
latitudes in it.

But the red spot is an upper, upper atmosphere phenomenon and nobody
knows how many layers of critical points such as the tropopause there
are there.

It is assumed the gasses methane and similar make up the atmosphere if
I remember correctly but water is a lot lighter than methane is it
not?

You wouldn't fill a balloon with either but the methane one wouldn't
float and the steam would head for the hills if you tried.

I don't know what interactions the organic gasses would have with
vapour if any. And who can state with any authority that it is too
cold to have vapour in the upper atmosphere? It might easily get
thrown there either by some sort of volcanic activity or by the storms
themselves. Or more likely arrive from elsewhere.