Gravitational Waves, open talk + all important Q&A, Southampton, Hampshire

Old November 8th 09, 02:58 PM posted to free.uk.talk.southampton,uk.local.hampshire,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Default Gravitational Waves, open talk + all important Q&A, Southampton, Hampshire

http://www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~tjm/scicaf/programme.html
November 17, 2009
Prof. Nils Andersson, School of Mathematics, University of Southampton
Gravitational Waves

venue Soul Cellar, Central Soton

--
General electronic repairs, mainly music equipment these days ,
but anything considered other than TVs and PCs

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Old November 9th 09, 10:45 AM posted to free.uk.talk.southampton,uk.local.hampshire,uk.sci.astronomy
Tiddy Ogg

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 13:58:10 -0000, "N_Cook" wrote:

http://www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~tjm/scicaf/programme.html
November 17, 2009
Prof. Nils Andersson, School of Mathematics, University of Southampton
Gravitational Waves

venue Soul Cellar, Central Soton

Ignore the morons and keep posting these announcements please. I
doubt I'll ever get to one but they seem very interesting.

Old November 9th 09, 11:43 AM posted to free.uk.talk.southampton,uk.local.hampshire,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Tiddy Ogg wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 13:58:10 -0000, "N_Cook" wrote:

http://www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~tjm/scicaf/programme.html
November 17, 2009
Prof. Nils Andersson, School of Mathematics, University of Southampton
Gravitational Waves

venue Soul Cellar, Central Soton

Ignore the morons and keep posting these announcements please. I
doubt I'll ever get to one but they seem very interesting.

I've been on usenet since 1995 so have seen it all

Maybe a venue nearer yourself
http://www.cafescientifique.org/
often speaker at one venue turns up elsewhere in the local group at another
date. No travelling expenses etc so somewhat surprising they get about a
bit.
I went to a major uni on-campus public lecture last week and only time for 4
questions at the end. The cafe structure is usually more time devoted to
questions, in and usually during the talk, than the talk itself

Old November 11th 09, 02:12 PM posted to free.uk.talk.southampton,uk.local.hampshire,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

N_Cook wrote in message
http://www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~tjm/scicaf/programme.html
November 17, 2009
Prof. Nils Andersson, School of Mathematics, University of Southampton
Gravitational Waves

venue Soul Cellar, Central Soton

--
General electronic repairs, mainly music equipment these days ,
but anything considered other than TVs and PCs
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repairs.htm

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

some added info:

November 17, 2009

Prof. Nils Andersson, School of Mathematics, University of Southampton

Gravitational Waves
With his theory of General Relativity, Einstein provided us with a new
understanding of gravity. The key idea of the theory is that what we
experience as gravity is, in fact, due to the geometry of space and time.
Moreover, these concepts are no longer fixed as in Newton's physics. One of
the most intriguing implications is that changes in gravity should move as
waves. These "gravitational waves" would carry the imprint of the most
violent phenomena we can think of, like colliding or exploding stars and
even the birth of the Universe itself. In this talk I will describe the
ongoing effort aimed at detecting these elusive waves and what we expect to
learn from such observations in the future.

Old November 11th 09, 08:07 PM posted to free.uk.talk.southampton,uk.local.hampshire,uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

On Nov 11, 2:12*pm, "N_Cook" wrote:
N_Cook wrote in message

[...]

Newton's agenda can be condensed into a few sentences even though he
wove an elaborate scheme around existing astronomical principles by
developing the language of 'non-thought' as it is known in some
circles -

"It is indeed a matter of great difficulty to discover, and
effectually to distinguish, the true motion of particular bodies from
the apparent; because the parts of that absolute space, in which those
motions are performed, do by no means come under the observation of
our senses. Yet the thing is not altogether desperate; for we have
some arguments to guide us, partly from the apparent motions, which
are the differences of the true motions; partly from the forces, which
are the causes and effects of the true motion." Newton ,Principia

The point of departure for weighing all astronomical matters is the
same as it always was before empiricism intruded,a thorough
understanding of planetary dynamics relies on sound interpretation and
with modern imaging available it is now easy to understand where
Newton jumped the tracks here -

" For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct,
sometimes stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde. But from the sun
they are always seen direct ," Newton

That statement is pure junk and against all known astronomical
principles insofar as from an orbitally moving Earth the planets
appear to have retrograde motion but in reality 'retrogrades' are
simply a consequence of the Earth overtaking other planets just as
modern imaging dictates it and Copernicus proposed it -

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011220.html

No hypothetical observer on the Sun required or relative/absolute
space,frames of reference and all the other nonsense he introduced in
order to make the calendar based Ra/Dec convenience a backdrop for
connecting terrestrial ballistics with planetary orbital dynamics.

One of
the most intriguing implications is that changes in gravity should move as
waves. These "gravitational waves" would carry the imprint of the most
violent phenomena we can think of, like colliding or exploding stars and
even the birth of the Universe itself. In this talk I will describe the
ongoing effort aimed at detecting these elusive waves and what we expect to
learn from such observations in the future.

Gravitational Waves Recorded with GRB David Thomson Astronomy Misc 14 June 5th 08 03:25 PM
Gravitational Waves jonathan Policy 6 November 9th 05 06:46 AM
Spaceships should surf on gravitational waves Ted Ratmark Space Shuttle 4 September 17th 05 08:53 PM
Einstein@Home: Search for Gravitational Waves Davoud Amateur Astronomy 6 February 25th 05 07:20 PM
Gravitational waves discovered? Luigi Caselli Misc 2 November 2nd 04 11:32 PM