Galileo - End of Mission

Old September 20th 03, 01:46 AM
Ron Baalke

Default Galileo - End of Mission

Galileo - End of Mission

On September 21, the Galileo mission will come to an end when the
hardy spacecraft plunges into the crushing pressure of Jupiter's
atmosphere. This planned maneuver will prevent the risk of Galileo
drifting to an unwanted impact with the moon Europa,
which may harbor a subsurface ocean.

The following items are available at either of these URL's:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/webcast/galileo/
http://galileo.jpl.nasa.gov

o Live End of Mission Webcast on September 21, 11 AM PDT (2PM EDT)
(RealPlayer required)

o Galileo Legacy at Jupiter Video (RealPlayer and Quicktime formats)

o Jupiter Impact Animations (MPEG and Quicktime formats)

o Archived Webcast of the Space Science Update held on September 17.
(RealPlayer required)

o Archived Webcast of the Galileo lecture held on September 18.
(RealPlayer required)

o Top 10 Galileo Science Images

o End of Mission Press Kit (PDF)

o Galileo Fact Sheet (PDF)

o Galileo End of Mission Coloring Book

Ron Baalke

Old September 20th 03, 11:46 AM
Sally

"Ron Baalke" wrote in message
o Live End of Mission Webcast on September 21, 11 AM PDT (2PM EDT)
(RealPlayer required)

I shall look forward to seeing that. But, with respect, I wish that NASA did
not favor streaming video in RealPlayer format. After some bad experiences I
wold *never* let Real Player anywhere near my PC.

Sally

Old September 20th 03, 12:13 PM
Rick

"Sally" wrote in message ...
"Ron Baalke" wrote in message
o Live End of Mission Webcast on September 21, 11 AM PDT (2PM EDT)
(RealPlayer required)

I shall look forward to seeing that. But, with respect, I wish that NASA did
not favor streaming video in RealPlayer format. After some bad experiences I
wold *never* let Real Player anywhere near my PC.

Ditto here. Please NASA, offer WMV/WMA as an alternative
if not a replacement.

Rick

Old September 20th 03, 12:42 PM
ngc457

Sally wrote in message

I shall look forward to seeing that. But, with respect, I wish that NASA
did not favor streaming video in RealPlayer format. After some bad
experiences I wold *never* let Real Player anywhere near my PC.

NASA provides formats other than RealPayer. Here you can view
using Windows Media Player:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/nasatv/index.html

Old September 20th 03, 08:57 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:46:02 +0100) it happened "Sally"
wrote in
:

"Ron Baalke" wrote in message
o Live End of Mission Webcast on September 21, 11 AM PDT (2PM EDT)
(RealPlayer required)

I shall look forward to seeing that. But, with respect, I wish that NASA did
not favor streaming video in RealPlayer format. After some bad experiences I
wold *never* let Real Player anywhere near my PC.

Sally

Agreed, now what for alternative? DivX?
Old September 21st 03, 03:54 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"Rick" wrote:

"Sally" wrote in message
"Ron Baalke" wrote in message
o Live End of Mission Webcast on September 21, 11 AM PDT (2PM EDT)
(RealPlayer required)

I shall look forward to seeing that. But, with respect, I wish that NASA
did
not favor streaming video in RealPlayer format. After some bad experiences
wold *never* let Real Player anywhere near my PC.

Ditto here. Please NASA, offer WMV/WMA as an alternative
if not a replacement.

You could always try QuickTime, or downloaded MPEG-1, given
adequate bandwidth.
Old September 21st 03, 05:15 PM
Sally

"Sally" wrote in message
I shall look forward to seeing that. But, with respect, I wish that NASA

did
not favor streaming video in RealPlayer format. After some bad experiences

wold *never* let Real Player anywhere near my PC.

I have just looked at the NASA webcast schedule for today, Sep 21 and see
that a Galileo webcast is scheduled....but only in ram format. Not wanting
RealPlayer on my system it looks like I shall miss it. :-(

Unless some kind person can point me to a MPEG or WindowsMedia feed in the
next couple of hours??

Sally

Old September 26th 03, 04:37 PM
Paul Neave

Is there a report on what Galileo found on its way down anywhere?
Or did it switch off in those vital seconds?