'Heretical' cosmologist does away with the big bang - space - 10 September 2007 - New Scientist Space

Old September 10th 07, 06:04 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Default 'Heretical' cosmologist does away with the big bang - space - 10 September 2007 - New Scientist Space

· 10 September 2007
· Magazine issue 2620

"I am a heretic," Cristiano Germani announced to an audience of
cosmologists last month. Few would disagree, as he is proposing a
radical alternative to standard cosmology: a universe with no big bang
creation moment, and no rapid inflation. Rather than a big bang, he
suggests a slingshot.

In the early 1980s, Alan Guth at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology proposed that our universe underwent inflation - a period
of rapid expansion in the first 10-34 seconds after the big bang.
Germani, a cosmologist at the International School of Advanced Studies
in Trieste, Italy, says that inflation is beautiful and successful,
yet he insists that we need to replace it.

"We don't have any fundamental physical explanation for how or why it
occurred," he says. "Yet cosmologists today accept it as though it is
a religion."

Germani's alternative, unveiled at a cosmology conference at the
University of Sussex, UK, last ...
The complete article is 1067 words long... you will have to pay 4.95USD
to read the rest of it...

More at http://space.newscientist.com/articl...mg19526204.000