list of 173 'navigational' stars?

Old April 6th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.boats.cruising,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro
Jeff[_5_]

Default list of 173 'navigational' stars?

* John Nagelson wrote, On 4/6/2007 12:32 PM:
On Apr 6, 5:26 pm, (Eugene Griessel) wrote:
"JohnNagelson" wrote:
Already downloaded this and printed it - very nice chart
but shows the 57 with names and numbers, not the 173.

I'm sure your life must be empty not knowing that the likes of Eta
Virginis, Delta Velorum and Beta Corvi and the like are also on rare
occasions used to navigate by. I could give the full list but really
think its pointless.

Hi Eugene, you only had to ask and I would have said why I want
them :-)

I am a comparative anthropologist studying the history of maritime
star lore
in various parts of the world, including the west. This is such a wide-
ranging
subject, geographically and chronologically, that I am ruthlessly
restricting
the number of stars under consideration at the outset. Various
interesting stars
are outside of the 57, e.g. Algol (Beta Persei), and Mizar.

Algol? Although relatively bright, Algol was omitted from the 57, I
believe because it is a variable star. In fact, it was recognized by
the ancients as variable, and known as the "Demon Star." (Algol and
Ghoul come from the same root.)

I have an affinity for the star because my first experience working in
astronomy was being on the team that discovered Algol was a strong
emitter of X-Rays.