massive meteorite shower

Old September 22nd 12, 08:05 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Default massive meteorite shower

Dr paul wrote in message
Sorry if this offends as not the right group ,but just seen a massive
meteorite to the north of Leeds uk ,travelling east north east to west south
west ,it split up at about 40 degree declination and to the north of me
,into 6 to 8 fragments and disappeared into the west , the whole thing
visible for 20 to 30 seconds ,absolutely amazing ,best I ve ever seen.Anyone
else see it?
Paul

++++

As viewing restricted to the north of the UK, does that not suggest it came
from a low orbit, so space junk origin more likely?

Old September 22nd 12, 08:31 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
Roger Smith[_2_]

N_Cook wrote:
Dr paul wrote in message
Sorry if this offends as not the right group ,but just seen a massive
meteorite to the north of Leeds uk ,travelling east north east to
west south west ,it split up at about 40 degree declination and to
the north of me ,into 6 to 8 fragments and disappeared into the west
, the whole thing visible for 20 to 30 seconds ,absolutely amazing
,best I ve ever seen.Anyone else see it?
Paul

++++

As viewing restricted to the north of the UK, does that not suggest
it came from a low orbit, so space junk origin more likely?

No. It was not seen from the South because it was cloudy there. I believe
there was a report from Norfolk.

Roger

Old September 23rd 12, 09:26 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_176_]

In uk.sci.astronomy message , Sat, 22 Sep
2012 08:05:54, N_Cook posted:

Dr paul wrote in message
Sorry if this offends as not the right group ,but just seen a massive
meteorite to the north of Leeds uk ,travelling east north east to west south
west ,it split up at about 40 degree declination and to the north of me
,into 6 to 8 fragments and disappeared into the west , the whole thing
visible for 20 to 30 seconds ,absolutely amazing ,best I ve ever seen.Anyone
else see it?
Paul

++++

As viewing restricted to the north of the UK, does that not suggest it came
from a low orbit, so space junk origin more likely?

From the description, and from video material, it was obviously an
artefact entering the Earth's atmosphere at about or under LEO speed and
breaking up.

The probability is that it was an artefact of Earth origin re-entering
and breaking up.

I saw something similar myself, decades ago; my first thought was that
it was an aeroplane disaster, but soon saw that no aeroplane could
suffer anything that disastrous for that long.

It certainly was not, as described in the press, a meteor shower, as a
shower is the entry of a number of meteors, not just one.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Mail via homepage. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links;
Old September 24th 12, 08:27 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

nvalid...

Dr paul wrote in message
Sorry if this offends as not the right group ,but just seen a massive
meteorite to the north of Leeds uk ,travelling east north east to west

south
west ,it split up at about 40 degree declination and to the north of me
,into 6 to 8 fragments and disappeared into the west , the whole thing
visible for 20 to 30 seconds ,absolutely amazing ,best I ve ever

seen.Anyone
else see it?
Paul

++++

As viewing restricted to the north of the UK, does that not suggest it

came
from a low orbit, so space junk origin more likely?

From the description, and from video material, it was obviously an
artefact entering the Earth's atmosphere at about or under LEO speed and
breaking up.

The probability is that it was an artefact of Earth origin re-entering
and breaking up.

I saw something similar myself, decades ago; my first thought was that
it was an aeroplane disaster, but soon saw that no aeroplane could
suffer anything that disastrous for that long.

It certainly was not, as described in the press, a meteor shower, as a
shower is the entry of a number of meteors, not just one.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Mail via homepage. Turnpike v6.05

MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and

links;
Astro stuff via astron-1.htm, gravity0.htm ; quotings.htm, pascal.htm,

etc.
No Encoding. Quotes before replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Don't Mail

News.

So you would call a meteor shower, unsynced , distributed streaks with a
common radiant point , well off the planet. If a small meteorite/ large
meteor, breaks up inside our atmosphere, what would you term the the shower
of synced, close-spaced trails?

Old September 25th 12, 08:22 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_178_]

In uk.sci.astronomy message , Mon, 24 Sep
2012 08:27:03, N_Cook posted:

Dr J R Stockton wrote in message
. invalid...

So you would call a meteor shower, unsynced , distributed streaks with a
common radiant point , well off the planet. If a small meteorite/ large
meteor, breaks up inside our atmosphere, what would you term the the shower
of synced, close-spaced trails?

The trails of pieces of a meteor - but not a shower. That presumes that
the original meteor was visible, if not necessarily seen, before it
broke up; and so had been a single meteoroid.

An exercise for the reader : consider a meteoroid which is essentially a
bag of marbles, or of grains, but without the bag and held together only
by their mutual gravity. Assume that they arrive at the Roche Limit
with the usual sort of speed, and in a direction which meets the
atmosphere at the usual sort of angle for human-observed meteors. The
clump will begin to break up on crossing the Limit. Typically, what
will be the spread of the marbles or grains when they become visible?

Old September 27th 12, 10:27 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_178_]

In uk.sci.astronomy message , Wed, 26 Sep
2012 09:12:50, N_Cook posted:

[...]

But of what size?

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Scientists to probe Nagpur meteorite shower Dr. Jai Maharaj[_2_] Astronomy Misc 0 May 29th 12 03:28 AM
shower Y. Danny Wai Amateur Astronomy 1 August 9th 08 02:54 AM
What meteor shower? [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 7 August 15th 07 02:06 AM
Massive NY Record Snowfall Amounts Could Mean Massive Flooding AndDestruction This Spring nightbat[_1_] Misc 7 March 10th 07 07:06 AM
Meteor shower Margret Misc 17 May 21st 05 02:17 PM