Crop Circles from BBC helicopter footage

Old May 18th 11, 07:16 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

Default Crop Circles from BBC helicopter footage

Okay, bear with me. Let's assume that the human race has developed
interstellar travel. A light, jump-ship travels to a far-off planet.
Where a backward and technology crazy race is struggling to overcome
the usual scourges of global management: Overheating, global apathy,
one hundred percent corruption, near total narcotic dependence, rabid
religious fervour (typical of rats on sinking ships) and rapidly
reducing resources.

Unless they can get their global act together soon this latest lot
will go down the plughole like those on so many other battle-scarred
planets. With no more than very limited interest in the few remaining
artefacts, as auction trash on iBay, it hardly seems worth a visit.
Not even by his fully organic, one-man, Apollo 2097i class vessel.

Captain Neil Armstrong 29th Jnr. still suffering from the mild effects
of jump-space lag, struggles to decide what he can do to help this
newly discovered species. After several hours of deep thought he
shares his idea with the ship's log:

The best possible way to communicate with this desperately struggling
race is to make pretty patterns on the fields of a completely
insignificant, severely overcrowded, traffic gridlocked, despot-run
island. One, whose only remaining pretensions to importance, is some
earlier notoriety as vicious, global, slave traders and a remarkably
decrepit monarchy...........

Nope. It's still not working for me. :-)
Old May 18th 11, 12:52 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

If it was a hoax someone went to a lot of trouble making it.

Have you never been a student?

-- Richard
Old May 18th 11, 12:58 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Chris.B wrote:

Nope. It's still not working for me. :-)

You're not thinking right. Consider someone who makes crop circles.
Can't you imagine them stowing away on an interstellar flight purely
so that they can make such circles on another planet?

-- Richard
Old May 18th 11, 01:37 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_43_]

,
| Chris.B wrote:
|
| Nope. It's still not working for me. :-)
|
| You're not thinking right. Consider someone who makes crop circles.
| Can't you imagine them stowing away on an interstellar flight purely

Kilroy woz 'ere.

Old May 18th 11, 01:38 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On May 18, 1:58*pm, (Richard Tobin) wrote:

You're not thinking right. *Consider someone who makes crop circles.
Can't you imagine them stowing away on an interstellar flight purely
so that they can make such circles on another planet?

Take that to its logical conclusion and we would have been visited
long before now. Probably repeated over time by several mischievous
teenagers stealing their dad's spaceship. Then crashing them on Earth
while trying to do two things at once.

Making crop circles quickly gets boring if you are rebellious and from
an advanced civilisation. i.e. One capable of interstellar flight. To
have reached that point surely assumes some advances in society and
culture beyond bored teenagers.

Crop circles are strictly a pastime for those with very limited
ambitions. Rather like being a troll on a vanishingly small science
forum. A total waste of a very limited lifespan and whatever talents
were thrown up by their damaged genes. The very idea is simply
ridiculous.
Old May 18th 11, 01:46 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Zoolook

On 18/05/2011 05:35, Peter Webb wrote:

From your opening statement:
This pattern was obviously created by an intelligent being.

Options include:
1. The intelligent life is human, probably living in Wiltshire, and did
it for a bit of fun.

I think I'll go with option 2
2. The intelligent life is extra-terrestrial aliens, which visited
Wiltshire and made patterns on the ground for reasons unknown.

Yep, far more likely then intelligent life in Wiltshire

--
The job requires extra pluck and zeal from every young wage earner.
Old May 18th 11, 07:26 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
RK

On May 17, 9:16*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 16/05/2011 13:20, Chris.B wrote:

On May 16, 1:15 pm, Martin
wrote:

The relevant part can be seen using BBC iPlayer at 54:15-54:24 into the
programme with best overall view at 54:19:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj8fc/Domesday/

iPlayer is not available outside the UK.

Ah. I hadn't thought of that! Here are a couple of temporary links to my
original best frame grab from the program and a perspective corrected
one to better show the pattern (assuming right angled field boundaries).
It is circular and surprisingly complex inside.

If it was a hoax someone went to a lot of trouble making it.

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/temp/c...emp/cropc2.jpg

I may have to take them down if the Beeb objects but I think this
probably constitutes fair usage for the purposes of commentary.
Taken from BBC "Doomsday documentary" iPlayer framegrab at 54:19.

BTW can you (or any other volunteer) read Danish scientific papers?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Here's the same circle in a few YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSPCEvVtas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjvpg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaVlY...eature=related

Looks like it was made in May last year. BTW there's a whole community
of people who make these things and compete with each other to come up
with the most complex and aesthetically pleasing patterns. There's no
mystery to it. e.g. see http://www.circlemakers.org/

Clever stuff, but entirely human!
Old May 19th 11, 09:36 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 18/05/2011 12:52, Richard Tobin wrote:
In ,
Martin wrote:

If it was a hoax someone went to a lot of trouble making it.

Have you never been a student?

Yes. Although in my day they were pretty basic plank and rope crop
circles rather than these new fangled fancy patterns. I am still
inclined to allow the possibility that the odd one might be natural and
due to a meteorological effect.

A bit like ball lightning it will require credible witnesses seeing it
happen. The demo nature did at the Cavendish Lab in Cambridge in 1982 as
reported in a Letter to Nature by Prof Pippard pretty much confirmed
that it did exist despite not having an easy physical explanation.

http://www.tagate.com/thunder/page/ball_lightning.shtml

Regards,
Martin Brown