Application that gives a view as if standing on earth

Old April 3rd 11, 01:06 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Richard[_6_]

Default Application that gives a view as if standing on earth

Hi. Is there an application (free or otherwise) that lets you see the
hevenly bodies from the perspective of standing on the earth and looking
out into space?

Of course you would see the horizon and the obsever could change his
azimuth direction.

I'm wanting to have the programme show me the sun and planets as they
appear to an obsever standing on the earth looking out - as you do.
Thanks.
Old April 3rd 11, 01:22 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Richard[_6_]

On 03/04/2011 01:06, Richard wrote:
Hi. Is there an application (free or otherwise) that lets you see the
hevenly bodies from the perspective of standing on the earth and looking
out into space?

Of course you would see the horizon and the obsever could change his
azimuth direction.

I'm wanting to have the programme show me the sun and planets as they
appear to an obsever standing on the earth looking out - as you do. Thanks.

I've found: Sellarium. Testing it.
Old April 3rd 11, 10:13 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Briggs

In message
Richard wrote:

Hi. Is there an application (free or otherwise) that lets you see the
hevenly bodies from the perspective of standing on the earth and looking
out into space?

Of course you would see the horizon and the obsever could change his
azimuth direction.

I'm wanting to have the programme show me the sun and planets as they
appear to an obsever standing on the earth looking out - as you do.
Thanks.

Stellarium is a good program for this and its free but there are
quite a few programs out there that will do what you are asking.

Clear skies.

--
David Briggs
Skype ID: davidbriggs124
Old April 3rd 11, 10:53 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Richard[_6_]

On 03/04/2011 10:25, Norbert wrote:
Richard nous a donc écrit :

Hi. Is there an application (free or otherwise) that lets you see the
hevenly bodies from the perspective of standing on the earth and
looking out into space?

Of course you would see the horizon and the obsever could change his
azimuth direction.

I'm wanting to have the programme show me the sun and planets as they
appear to an obsever standing on the earth looking out - as you do.
Thanks.

You could try Stellarium which gives you a nice and realistic view
http://www.stellarium.org/

Yes, Stellarium. Just been using it. It's very good. Just the job
actually. Fantasic to watch the constellations and stars move across the
sky in speeded-up fashion.

I've set it for Leeds. I see Capella never sets. I wondered if it did.
Old April 3rd 11, 11:11 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Richard[_6_]

Richard nous a donc écrit :

Hi. Is there an application (free or otherwise) that lets you see the
hevenly bodies from the perspective of standing on the earth and
looking out into space?

Of course you would see the horizon and the obsever could change his
azimuth direction.

I'm wanting to have the programme show me the sun and planets as they
appear to an obsever standing on the earth looking out - as you do.
Thanks.

You could try Stellarium which gives you a nice and realistic view
http://www.stellarium.org/

Yes, Stellarium. Just been using it. It's very good. Just the job
actually. Fantasic to watch the constellations and stars move across the
sky in speeded-up fashion.

I've set it for Leeds. I see Capella never sets. I wondered if it did.

I though vVega set, but doesn't according to the program. Just
maintains above the horizon for Leeds.
Old April 3rd 11, 08:48 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Michael Cunningham

If you've got an phone "star walk" is really good. Uses the gps, compass and
accelerometer on the phone so you don't need to set anything. Just point it
at the sky and it maps out what you're looking at!
Mike

Old April 4th 11, 09:16 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark Ayliffe[_2_]

On or about 2011-04-03,
David Briggs illuminated us with:
In message
Richard wrote:

Hi. Is there an application (free or otherwise) that lets you see the
hevenly bodies from the perspective of standing on the earth and looking
out into space?

Of course you would see the horizon and the obsever could change his
azimuth direction.

I'm wanting to have the programme show me the sun and planets as they
appear to an obsever standing on the earth looking out - as you do.
Thanks.

Stellarium is a good program for this and its free but there are
quite a few programs out there that will do what you are asking.

Google Earth (not maps) in sky mode is another such.

--
Mark
Real email address | I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots

And He has affixed into the earth mountains standing firm, Hamady Astronomy Misc 9 September 22nd 08 12:06 AM
And He has affixed into the earth mountains standing firm, Hamady Amateur Astronomy 9 September 22nd 08 12:06 AM
BOINC typo "Desktop Grid" -- 'Application' -- 'Search 1.01' should read 'Search 1.1' in line with the application version number... Max Power SETI 0 January 14th 06 02:31 AM
View of Earth ErstWhile Astronomy Misc 1 June 16th 04 09:58 PM
Looking for 3d-viewer application (earth satellites) Grunt Satellites 1 December 26th 03 11:21 AM