Bye-bye Moon program, hello ISS to 2020

Old February 11th 10, 09:18 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

Default Bye-bye Moon program, hello ISS to 2020

On Feb 8, 11:42*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
Frank Robertson wrote:

Of course, if Obama isn't quite the visionary that JFK or Ronald
Reagan was.....wait, let me say something here you might not here much
about. In Andrew Chaikin'shttp://www.andrewchaikin.com/book, "A
Passion for MARS," Chaikin points out that when President RR was being
briefed about the Space Station "Freedom" plan, Ronald asked, "What
does this have to with going to Mars?" Then Chaikin openly
acknowledges: 'The President was a space enthusiast!'

Reagan just wanted something to upstage Mir.
Preferably something with guns, missiles, or lasers on it.
But the real space fan was Dan Quayle, who realized getting to Mars
would be pretty easy, as it shares Earth's orbit:http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/526.html

Pat

Is that quote for real? Is so he got science from the movies.
Yikes.
Old February 13th 10, 02:25 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Fred J. McCall wrote:

The difference is that there WERE private aviation vehicles that could
do the job.

Where is the private 'astronaut delivery vehicle' that NASA can put
private contract money against? Airmail didn't have to directly fund
AIRCRAFT DEVELOPMENT.

But it did once the concept got up and running; the Spirit Of St. Louis
was based on a Ryan designed mailplane:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_M-1
....and it wasn't the only aircraft designed to carry the US Mail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...anes_1920-1929

Pat
Old February 13th 10, 02:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Fred J. McCall wrote:
And that's where it should have been cancelled. Of course, we've
discussed all that already.

And that's part of why the group is dead. Without something new going
on that actually has a chance of succeeding, there's really nothing to
do but flame idiots until they're toasty.

Paraphrasing Yogi Berra, space history is all behind us. ;-)

Pat
Old February 13th 10, 08:21 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Craig Bingman

In article ,
Derek Lyons wrote:

It's not so much that, but rather that if the science isn't exciting
the people don't think it's science. Decades of edutainment have done
that for us.

The Station Science page is poorly executed and yes, it completely fails to capture
the attention of fellow scientists from related fields, let alone the general public's
attention.

If you would like to see a good example of communicating science to the taxpaying public,
look he

http://kb.psi-structuralgenomics.org/

and he

http://www.pdb.org/

When I look at the Station Science page, I would expect to be able to see a photograph
describing the experiment, an experimental result for completed missions, perhaps
a photograph of the experiment _in situ_ at ISS, and optimally, a brief video from
someone at NASA or the experimental group explaining why I should care about this
experiment.

If there is such a page describing station science, I'd love to be directed to it.

Old February 13th 10, 08:34 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Craig Bingman

In article ,
Brian Thorn wrote:

Except that, maybe one has: a vaccine for salmonella.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/0...a-vaccine.html

Maybe, but it is unclear to me what part of the putative vaccine development
was actually made possible by the microgravity experiments.

Just because a group did work on (A) the effect of microgravity on bacterial
virulence and the same group is (B) doing work on a vaccine does not mean that
A led to B.

It is a bit of a stretch, based on what I know about the molecular mechanisms
of bacterial virulence, but I would love to be mistaken.

Old February 13th 10, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Feb 13, 2:34�pm, (Craig Bingman) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Thorn wrote:

Except that, maybe one has: a vaccine for salmonella.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/0...a-vaccine.html

Maybe, but it is unclear to me what part of the putative vaccine development
was actually made possible by the microgravity experiments.

Just because a group did work on (A) the effect of microgravity on bacterial
virulence and the same group is (B) doing work on a vaccine does not mean that
A led to B. �

It is a bit of a stretch, based on what I know about the molecular mechanisms
of bacterial virulence, but I would love to be mistaken.
�

Hey solar space power is a great wonderful idea

China can design build and launch it for a fraction of what it would
cost in the US. Elminates minimum wage OSHA and lots other costs like
social security.

So china can beam down the power and sell it to us.

While they are at it their coal to gasoline plants can sell us all the
gasoline we need too.

Why build ANYTHING IN OUR COUNTRY? while others can do it cheaper?

Heck just buy space access from china onboard their new space station.

While waiting for a berth on one of their many moon missions. We can
go as tourists.

Chinas profits can be reinvested in Mars and asteroid missions.

Wonder what china will charge to deflect a asteroid from hitting the
US?
Old February 15th 10, 04:53 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
giveitawhirl2008

On Feb 13, 2:21*pm, (Craig Bingman) wrote:
In article ,

Derek Lyons wrote:
[...]

*

The closest thing to the science page you're looking for is:

http://ryushin018.files.wordpress.co...the_worlds.jpg