Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

Old October 11th 18, 11:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass. Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start. On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something. High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p. At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

Jeff
Old October 11th 18, 12:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote on Thu, 11 Oct 2018
06:23:40 -0400:

Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass. Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start. On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something. High, but survivable.

6g? Hell, that's not that much worse than the 'jolt' on a normal
Soyuz landing.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p. At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

Right now I think they're talking about next June for Crew Dragon and
a couple months after that for Boeing.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old October 11th 18, 02:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass. Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start. On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something. High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p. At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

Jeff

I've said for years, give me a comfortable lawn chair, some SCUBA equipment
and some snacks and I'd fly Cargo Dragon tomorrow.

But yeah, I can see this very quickly moving up the launches of Dragon 2
(and perhaps CST-100, but I suspect they're more constrained by available
boosters.0

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

Old October 15th 18, 05:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 10/11/2018 9:19 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Jeff Findley"Â* wrote in message

Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass.Â* Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start.Â* On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something.Â* High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p.Â* At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

Jeff

I've said for years, give me a comfortable lawn chair, some SCUBA
equipment and some snacks and I'd fly Cargo Dragon tomorrow.

But yeah, I can see this very quickly moving up the launches of Dragon 2
(and perhaps CST-100, but I suspect they're more constrained by
available boosters.0

Not happening, according to spokesmen for both Boeing and SpaceX.

https://spacenews.com/safety-panel-f...fety-concerns/

quote
Commercial crew providers respond

During a panel session later in the day [Oct. 11th] at the International
Symposium for Personal and Commercial Spaceflight here, managers of
Boeing’s and SpaceX’s commercial crew programs said they were still
confident that they could meet their current schedules for testing their
vehicles, but would not sacrifice safety for schedule.

The latest schedule, released by NASA Oct. 4, calls for an uncrewed test
flight by SpaceX in January, followed by a crewed one in June. Boeing
would perform an uncrewed test flight in March and a crewed one in
August. That schedule, though, represented a delay of two months for
SpaceX, and a roughly similar time frame for Boeing, since the previous
schedule released in August.

“You lay out a plan you believe you can achieve,” said John Mulholland,
vice president and program manager for commercial programs at Boeing’s
space exploration unit. He noted the company was 85 percent of the way
through the overall test program, but added that still meant a chance of
discovery of new issues during that final 15 percent. “If there’s
discovery that we have, we’ll address it correctly, and fly as soon as
we’re ready.”

“You put together a plan, you expect to follow it, and you do your best
to get there,” said Benji Reed, director of commercial crew mission
management at SpaceX. “While we’re all pushing hard to get flying, you
also want to want to provide it safely.”

/quote

These companies are too smart to buck the party line and bite the hand
that feeds.

Dave

Old October 15th 18, 05:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 10/15/2018 12:26 AM, David Spain wrote:
[...]

BTW. ASAP == Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel - talk about acronym abuse.

Dave

Old October 15th 18, 07:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, David Spain wrote:

BTW. ASAP == Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel - talk about acronym
abuse.

In that context does ASAP mean "as slow as possible"?
Old October 12th 18, 11:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass. Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start. On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something. High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p. At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

I forgot to add, over the life of the ISS program, the Russians have had
three different Progress resupply vessels fail to make it to ISS. The
last Progress failure was an actual launch vehicle failure. But, the
Russians were quick to point out that for crewed launches they use a
different, safer, version of the Soyuz launch vehicle.

Unfortunately, a different design doesn't protect you from things like
shoddy workmanship from underpaid workers or from shoddy suppliers.

Jeff
Old October 15th 18, 05:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Russian investigation proceeds today...

http://tass.com/science/1025869

Dave