just a short story about a mag 3 sky

Old August 5th 04, 11:41 PM
md

Default just a short story about a mag 3 sky

Usually, my backyard features a mag 4.5 sky, sometimes mag 5. But the last few days, the
temperature here is very high, and the sky is hazy, which seems to make the light pollution
worse. The last couple of nights, I estimate my sky at mag 3.
I looked for M13 with my 8x40 bino, not visible!
I tried a 16" exposure with my DC4800: it shows stars of mag 4.8 max!

this is lousy :-(

--
md

Old August 6th 04, 12:05 AM
CHASLX200

Subject: just a short story about a mag 3 sky
From: "md" notgiven to avoid spam
Date: 8/5/2004 6:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Usually, my backyard features a mag 4.5 sky, sometimes mag 5. But the last
few days, the
temperature here is very high, and the sky is hazy, which seems to make the
light pollution
worse. The last couple of nights, I estimate my sky at mag 3.
I looked for M13 with my 8x40 bino, not visible!
I tried a 16" exposure with my DC4800: it shows stars of mag 4.8 max!

this is lousy :-(

--
md

****************************
Mag 3 is the norm where i live in the summer. On the best nites i can see mag
4.3, but i have super seeing, that allows powers over 1000x!!!

Chas
Old August 6th 04, 03:06 AM
Mark

"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message ...
Usually, my backyard features a mag 4.5 sky, sometimes mag 5. But the last few days, the
temperature here is very high, and the sky is hazy, which seems to make the light pollution
worse. The last couple of nights, I estimate my sky at mag 3.
I looked for M13 with my 8x40 bino, not visible!
I tried a 16" exposure with my DC4800: it shows stars of mag 4.8 max!

this is lousy :-(

True, but sometimes these dog days of summer are superb for high power
planetary observation. Mark
Old August 6th 04, 03:12 AM
Phil Wheeler

Best thing for a Mag 3 sky is an H-Alpha telsscope: No light polution
issue with the Sun.

Phil

Old August 6th 04, 05:17 AM
Rocky

In article , md wrote:

Usually, my backyard features a mag 4.5 sky, sometimes mag 5. But the last
few days, the
temperature here is very high, and the sky is hazy, which seems to make the
light pollution
worse. The last couple of nights, I estimate my sky at mag 3.
I looked for M13 with my 8x40 bino, not visible!
I tried a 16" exposure with my DC4800: it shows stars of mag 4.8 max!

this is lousy :-(

Speaking of lousy, I have a dark sky site in Western Maryland but last
time out (a month ago) it was cursed by a thin cloud layer. The neat
thing was you could still see the Milky Way even though fainter stars
were not visible. The large scale outline of the Milky Way was
traceable and yet it was much softer looking than normal. I
photographed the Lagoon and Trifid through it, too, although the
pictures weren't very good. Has anyone else experienced this?

I saw a nice sun dog on the way home the next morning.

Rocky, who notes that this weekend's weather forecast looks extremely
promissing for the middle Atlantic states. :-)
Old August 6th 04, 05:36 PM
md

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message

Usually, my backyard features a mag 4.5 sky, sometimes mag 5. But the last few days, the
temperature here is very high, and the sky is hazy, which seems to make the light pollution
worse. The last couple of nights, I estimate my sky at mag 3.
I looked for M13 with my 8x40 bino, not visible!
I tried a 16" exposure with my DC4800: it shows stars of mag 4.8 max!

this is lousy :-(

True, but sometimes these dog days of summer are superb for high power
planetary observation.

if only planets were above horizon at night....

Old August 6th 04, 11:10 PM
Rocky

In article id, Rocky
wrote:

In article , md wrote:

[...]

That should be "Promising" and "Middle" :-)

Rocky
Old August 6th 04, 11:18 PM
Paul Lawler

"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message

Usually, my backyard features a mag 4.5 sky, sometimes mag 5. But

the last few days, the
temperature here is very high, and the sky is hazy, which seems to

make the light pollution
worse. The last couple of nights, I estimate my sky at mag 3.
I looked for M13 with my 8x40 bino, not visible!
I tried a 16" exposure with my DC4800: it shows stars of mag 4.8

max!

this is lousy :-(

True, but sometimes these dog days of summer are superb for high

power
planetary observation.

if only planets were above horizon at night....

Uranus and Neptune certainly... Venus Mars and Saturn depend on how late
you want to stay (or early you want to get) up. g

Old August 7th 04, 09:57 AM
md

"Rocky" wrote in message
nvalid...
In article id, Rocky
wrote:

In article , md wrote:

[...]

thanks for clearing that up !

Old August 7th 04, 03:45 PM
Rocky

In article , md wrote:

"Rocky" wrote in message
nvalid...
In article id, Rocky
wrote:

In article , md wrote:

[...]

No problem. I usta think I cud spel gud, but than I found out I cudnt.

Rocky