Daily Report #5057

Old March 22nd 10, 04:02 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #5057

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5057

PERIOD COVERED: 5am March 19 - 5am March 22, 2010 (DOY 078/09:00z-081/09:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

COS/NUV/FUV 12096

COS FUV Detector Lifetime Adjustment and Sensitivity Test

This program will test the COS FUV Detector sensitivity at several
'lifetime adjustment' (cross-dispersion) positions. By collecting
identical spectra at different positions on the detector, including
some relatively pristine regions, it will be possible to determine if
the time dependent-sensitivity changes seen since SM4 are due to
illumination, and thus limited to the areas that have collected the
most counts.

In addition, the gain and flat field properties of the detector at the
additional lifetime positions will be measured, so that if a permanent
lifetime adjustment is found to be necessary, the best location can be
identified.

ACS/WFC 11995

CCD Daily Monitor (Part 2)

This program comprises basic tests for measuring the read noise and
dark current of the ACS WFC and for tracking the growth of hot pixels.
The recorded frames are used to create bias and dark reference images
for science data reduction and calibration. This program will be
executed four days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) for the duration of
Cycle 17. To facilitate scheduling, this program is split into three
proposals. This proposal covers 320 orbits (20 weeks) from 1 February
2010 to 20 June 2010.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/IR 11928

WFC3/IR Low-Frequency Flat and Geometric Distortion

Multiple observations of globular cluster Omega Cen at multiple
infrared wavelengths of IR detector will be used to derive filter
dependency of low-frequency sensitivity (L_flat fields) across of IR
detector and its time variation. Additionally, the same data will be
also used to derive filter-dependant geometric distortion of the
detector and its time-dependency.

WFC3/UVIS 11912

UVIS Internal Flats

This proposal will be used to assess the stability of the flat field
structure for the UVIS detector throughout the 15 months of Cycle 17.
The data will be used to generate on-orbit updates for the delta-flat
field reference files used in the WFC3 calibration pipeline, if
significant changes in the flat structure are seen.

WFC3/UVIS 11908

Cycle 17: UVIS Bowtie Monitor

Ground testing revealed an intermittent hysteresis type effect in the
UVIS detector (both CCDs) at the level of ~1%, lasting hours to days.
Initially found via an unexpected bowtie-shaped feature in flatfield
ratios, subsequent lab tests on similar e2v devices have since shown
that it is also present as simply an overall offset across the entire
CCD, i.e., a QE offset without any discernable pattern. These lab
tests have further revealed that overexposing the detector to count
levels several times full well fills the traps and effectively
neutralizes the bowtie. Each visit in this proposal acquires a set of
three 3x3 binned internal flatfields: the first unsaturated image will
be used to detect any bowtie, the second, highly exposed image will
neutralize the bowtie if it is present, and the final image will allow
for verification that the bowtie is gone.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

COS/FUV 11895

FUV Detector Dark Monitor

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the FUV detector dark rate
by taking long science exposures without illuminating the detector.
The detector dark rate and spatial distribution of counts will be
compared to pre-launch and SMOV data in order to verify the nominal
operation of the detector. Variations of count rate as a function of
orbital position will be analyzed to find dependence of dark rate on
proximity to the SAA. Dependence of dark rate as function of time will
also be tracked.

STIS/CC 11847

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CC 11845

CCD Dark Monitor Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

COS/NUV/FUV 11741

Probing Warm-Hot Intergalactic Gas at 0.5 z 1.3 with a Blind
Survey for O VI, Ne VIII, Mg X, and Si XII Absorption Systems

Currently we can only account for half of the baryons (or less)
expected to be found in the nearby universe based on D/H and CMB
observations. This "missing baryons problem" is one of the
highest-priority challenges in observational extragalatic astronomy.
Cosmological simulations suggest that the baryons are hidden in
low-density, shock-heated intergalactic gas in the log T = 5 - 7
range, but intensive UV and X-ray surveys using O VI, O VII, and O
VIII absorption lines have not yet confirmed this prediction. We
propose to use COS to carry out a sensitive survey for Ne VIII and Mg
X absorption in the spectra of nine QSOs at z(QSO) 0.89. For the
three highest-redshift QSOs, we will also search for Si XII. This
survey will provide more robust constraints on the quantity of baryons
in warm-hot intergalactic gas at 0.5 z 1.3, and the data will
provide rich constraints on the metal enrichment, physical conditions,
and nature of a wide variety of QSO absorbers in addition to the
warm-hot systems. By comparing the results to other surveys at lower
redshifts (with STIS, FUSE, and from the COS GTO programs), the
project will also enable the first study of how these absorbers evolve
with redshift at z 1. By combining the program with follow-up galaxy
redshift surveys, we will also push the study of galaxy-absorber
relationships to higher redshifts, with an emphasis on the
distribution of the WHIM with respect to the large-scale matter
distribution of the universe.

WFC3/IR 11738

SPIDERWEBS AND FLIES: OBSERVING MASSIVE GALAXY FORMATION IN ACTION

Distant luminous radio galaxies are among the brightest known galaxies
in the early Universe, pinpoint likely progenitors of dominant cluster
galaxies and are unique laboratories for studying massive galaxy
formation. Spectacular images with the ACS and NICMOS of one such
object, the "Spiderweb Galaxy" at z = 2.2, show in exquisite detail,
hierarchical merging occurring 11 Gyr ago. By imaging 3 additional
Spiderweb-like galaxies we wish to study this potentially crucial
phase of massive galaxy evolution, when hierarchical merging, galaxy
downsizing and AGN feedback are all likely to be occurring. Properties
of the complete sample of Spiderweb galaxies will be used to (i)
constrain models for the formation and evolution of the most massive
galaxies that dominate rich clusters and (ii) investigate the nature
of chain and tadpole galaxies, a fundamental but poorly understood
constituent of the early Universe.

We shall image rest-frame UV and optical continuum emission from 3
radio galaxies with 2.4 z 3.8 that appear clumpy and large in
shallow WFPC/PC observations. The new observations will typically
reach ~2 magnitudes fainter over 20-40 times larger area than
previously. Photometric and morphological parameters will be measured
for satellite galaxies ("flies") in the clumpy massive hosts and for
galaxies in ~ 1.5 Mpc x 1.5 Mpc regions of surrounding protoclusters.
Locations, sizes, elongations, clumpiness, masses, and star formation
rates of the merging satellite and protocluster galaxies will be
compared with new state of the art simulations. Combination of ACS and
WFC3 images will help disentangle the properties of the young and old
populations.

Specific goals include: (i) investigating star formation histories of
the satellite galaxies and the extended emission, (ii) studying
"downsizing" and merging scenarios and (iii) measuring the statistics
of linear galaxies and relating them to models for the formation of
massive galaxies and to the properties of the important but enigmatic
class of chain/tadpole galaxies in the HUDF.

FGS 11704

The Ages of Globular Clusters and the Population II Distance Scale

Globular clusters are the oldest objects in the universe whose age can
be accurately determined. The dominant error in globular cluster age
determinations is the uncertain Population II distance scale. We
propose to use FGS 1R to obtain parallaxes with an accuracy of 0.2
milliarcsecond for 9 main sequence stars with [Fe/H] -1.5. This will
determine the absolute magnitude of these stars with accuracies of
0.04 to 0.06mag. This data will be used to determine the distance to
24 metal-poor globular clusters using main sequence fitting. These
distances (with errors of 0.05 mag) will be used to determine the ages
of globular clusters using the luminosity of the subgiant branch as an
age indicator. This will yield absolute ages with an accuracy of 5%,
about a factor of two improvement over current estimates. Coupled with
existing parallaxes for more metal-rich stars, we will be able to
accurately determine the age for globular clusters over a wide range
of metallicities in order to study the early formation history of the
Milky Way and provide an independent estimate of the age of the
universe.

The Hipparcos database contains only 1 star with [Fe/H] -1.4 and an
absolute magnitude error less than 0.18 mag which is suitable for use
in main sequence fitting. Previous attempts at main sequence fitting
to metal-poor globular clusters have had to rely on theoretical
calibrations of the color of the main sequence. Our HST parallax
program will remove this source of possible systematic error and yield
distances to metal-poor globular clusters which are significantly more
accurate than possible with the current parallax data. The HST
parallax data will have errors which are 10 times smaller than the
current parallax data. Using the HST parallaxes, we will obtain main
sequence fitting distances to 11 globular clusters which contain over
500 RR Lyrae stars. This will allow us to calibrate the absolute
magnitude of RR Lyrae stars, a commonly used Population II distance
indicator.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11702

Search for Very High-z Galaxies with WFC3 Pure Parallel

WFC3 will provide an unprecedented probe to the early universe beyond
the current redshift frontier. Here we propose a pure parallel program
using this new instrument to search for Lyman-break galaxies at
6.5z8.8 and to probe the epoch of reionization, a hallmark event in
the history of the early universe. We request 200 orbits, spreading
over 30 ~ 50 high Galactic latitude visits (|b|20deg) that last for 4
orbits and longer, resulting a total survey area of about 140~230
square arcminute. Based on our understanding of the new HST parallel
observation scheduling process, we believe that the total number of
long-duration pure parallel visits in Cycle 17 should be sufficient to
accommodate our program. We waive all proprietary rights to our data,
and will also make the enhanced data products public in a timely
manner.

(1) We will use both the UVIS and the IR channels, and do not need to
seek optical data from elsewhere.

(2) Our program will likely triple the size of the probable candidate
samples at z~7 and z~8, and will complement other targeted programs
aiming at the similar redshift range.

(3) Being a pure parallel program, our survey will only make very
limited demand on the scarce HST resources. More importantly, as the
pure parallel pointings will be at random sight-lines, our program
will be least affected by the bias due to the large scale structure
("cosmic variance").

(4) We aim at the most luminous LBG population, and will address the
bright-end of the luminosity function at z~8 and z~7. We will
constrain the value of L* in particular, which is critical for
understanding the star formation process and the stellar mass assembly
history in the first few hundred million years of the universe.

(5) The candidates from our survey, most of which will be the
brightest ones that any surveys would be able to find, will have the
best chance to be spectroscopically confirmed at the current 8--10m
telescopes.

(6) We will also find a large number of extremely red, old galaxies at
intermediate redshifts, and the fine spatial resolution offered by the
WFC3 will enable us constrain their formation history based on the
study of their morphology, and hence shed light on their connection to
the very early galaxies in the universe.

SC 11701

SM4 Realtime (AT/FT) and Simulation Data Receipt

THIS IS NOT AN EXECUTABLE PROGRAM. It exists ONLY to handle the
receipt and processing of science data commanded in realtime during
the servicing mission (e.g. Functional Test). During Servicing
Missions new instruments are given aliveness and functional tests
(AT/FT) while still in the shuttle bay. The FT usually consists of a
small sampling of exposures commanded in realtime. Since the exposures
are not SMS based the ground system has no knowledge of them and they
cannot be received and processed by OPUS. This "dummy" proposal is
used to make the ground system aware of the non-SMS based exposures
hence allowing receipt and processing.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11700

Bright Galaxies at z7.5 with a WFC3 Pure Parallel Survey

The epoch of reionization represents a special moment in the history
of the Universe as it is during this era that the first galaxies and
star clusters are formed. Reionization also profoundly affects the
environment where subsequent generations of galaxies evolve. Our
overarching goal is to test the hypothesis that galaxies are
responsible for reionizing neutral hydrogen. To do so we propose to
carry out a pure parallel WFC3 survey to constrain the bright end of
the redshift z7.5 galaxy luminosity function on a total area of 176
arcmin^2 of sky. Extrapolating the evolution of the luminosity
function from z~6, we expect to detect about 20 Lyman Break Galaxies
brighter than M_* at z~8 significantly improving the current sample of
only a few galaxies known at these redshifts. Finding significantly
fewer objects than predicted on the basis of extrapolation from z=6
would set strong limits to the brightness of M_*, highlighting a fast
evolution of the luminosity function with the possible implication
that galaxies alone cannot reionize the Universe. Our observations
will find the best candidates for spectroscopic confirmation, that is
bright z7.5 objects, which would be missed by small area deeper
surveys. The random pointing nature of the program is ideal to beat
cosmic variance, especially severe for luminous massive galaxies,
which are strongly clustered. In fact our survey geometry of 38
independent fields will constrain the luminosity function like a
contiguous single field survey with two times more area at the same
depth. Lyman Break Galaxies at z7.5 down to m_AB=26.85 (5 sigma) in
F125W will be selected as F098M dropouts, using three to five orbits
visits that include a total of four filters (F606W, F098M, F125W,
F160W) optimized to remove low-redshift interlopers and cool stars.
Our data will be highly complementary to a deep field search for high-
z galaxies aimed at probing the faint end of the luminosity function,
allowing us to disentangle the degeneracy between faint end slope and
M_* in a Schechter function fit of the luminosity function. We waive
proprietary rights for the data. In addition, we commit to release the
coordinates and properties of our z7.5 candidates within one month
from the acquisition of each field.

WFC3/IR 11696

Infrared Survey of Star Formation Across Cosmic Time

We propose to use the unique power of WFC3 slitless spectroscopy to
measure the evolution of cosmic star formation from the end of the
reionization epoch at z6 to the close of the galaxy- building era at
z~0.3.Pure parallel observations with the grisms have proven to be
efficient for identifying line emission from galaxies across a broad
range of redshifts. The G102 grism on WFC3 was designed to extend this
capability to search for Ly-alpha emission from the first galaxies.
Using up to 250 orbits of pure parallel WFC3 spectroscopy, we will
observe about 40 deep (4-5 orbit) fields with the combination of G102
and G141, and about 20 shallow (2-3 orbit) fields with G141 alone.

Our primary science goals at the highest redshifts a (1) Detect Lya
in ~100 galaxies with z5.6 and measure the evolution of the Lya
luminosity function, independent of of cosmic variance; 2) Determine
the connection between emission line selected and continuum-break
selected galaxies at these high redshifts, and 3) Search for the
proposed signature of neutral hydrogen absorption at re-ionization. At
intermediate redshifts we will (4) Detect more than 1000 galaxies in
Halpha at 0.5z1.8 to measure the evolution of the
extinction-corrected star formation density across the peak epoch of
star formation. This is over an order-of-magnitude improvement in the
current statistics, from the NICMOS Parallel grism survey. (5) Trace
``cosmic downsizing" from 0.5z2.2; and (6) Estimate the evolution in
reddening and metallicty in star- forming galaxies and measure the
evolution of the Seyfert population. For hundreds of spectra we will
be able to measure one or even two line pair ratios -- in particular,
the Balmer decrement and [OII]/[OIII] are sensitive to gas reddening
and metallicity. As a bonus, the G102 grism offers the possibility of
detecting Lya emission at z=7-8.8.

To identify single-line Lya emitters, we will exploit the wide
0.8--1.9um wavelength coverage of the combined G102+G141 spectra. All
[OII] and [OIII] interlopers detected in G102 will be reliably
separated from true LAEs by the detection of at least one strong line
in the G141 spectrum, without the need for any ancillary data. We
waive all proprietary rights to our data and will make high-level data
products available through the ST/ECF.

COS/FUV 11687

SNAPing Coronal Iron

This is a Snapshot Survey to explore two forbidden lines of highly
ionized iron in late-type coronal sources. Fe XII 1349 (T~ 2 MK) and
Fe XXI 1354 (T~ 10 MK) -- well known to Solar Physics -- have been
detected in about a dozen cool stars, mainly with HST/STIS. The UV
coronal forbidden lines are important because they can be observed
with velocity resolution of better than 15 km/s, whereas even the
state-of-the-art X-ray spectrometers on Chandra can manage only 300
km/s in the kilovolt band where lines of highly ionized iron more
commonly are found. The kinematic properties of hot coronal plasmas,
which are of great interest to theorists and modelers, thus only are
accessible in the UV at present. The bad news is that the UV coronal
forbidden lines are faint, and were captured only in very deep
observations with STIS. The good news is that 3rd-generation Cosmic
Origins Spectrograph, slated for installation in HST by SM4, in a mere
25 minute exposure with its G130M mode can duplicate the sensitivity
of a landmark 25-orbit STIS E140M observation of AD Leo, easily the
deepest such exposure of a late-type star so far. Our goal is to build
up understanding of the properties of Fe XII and Fe XXI in additional
objects beyond the current limited sample: how the lineshapes depend
on activity, whether large scale velocity shifts can be detected, and
whether the dynamical content of the lines can be inverted to map the
spatial morphology of the stellar corona (as in "Doppler Imaging'').
In other words, we want to bring to bear in the coronal venue all the
powerful tricks of spectroscopic remote sensing, well in advance of
the time that this will be possible exploiting the corona's native
X-ray radiation. The 1290-1430 band captured by side A of G130M also
contains a wide range of key plasma diagnostics that form at
temperatures from below 10, 000 K (neutral lines of CNO), to above
200, 000 K (semi-permitted O V 1371), including the important bright
multiplets of C II at 1335 and Si IV at 1400; yielding a diagnostic
gold mine for the subcoronal atmosphere. Because of the broad value of
the SNAP spectra, beyond the coronal iron project, we waive the normal
proprietary rights.

WFC3/UVIS 11657

The Population of Compact Planetary Nebulae in the Galactic Disk

We propose to secure narrow- and broad-band images of compact
planetary nebulae (PNe) in the Galactic Disk to study the missing link
of the early phases of post-AGB evolution. Ejected AGB envelopes
become PNe when the gas is ionized. PNe expand, and, when large
enough, can be studied in detail from the ground. In the interim, only
the HST capabilities can resolve their size, morphology, and central
stars. Our proposed observations will be the basis for a systematic
study of the onset of morphology. Dust properties of the proposed
targets will be available through approved Spitzer/IRS spectra, and so
will the abundances of the alpha- elements. We will be able thus to
explore the interconnection of morphology, dust grains, stellar
evolution, and populations. The target selection is suitable to
explore the nebular and stellar properties across the galactic disk,
and to set constraints on the galactic evolutionary models through the
analysis of metallicity and population gradients.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11644

A Dynamical-Compositional Survey of the Kuiper Belt: A New Window Into
the Formation of the Outer Solar System

The eight planets overwhelmingly dominate the solar system by mass,
but their small numbers, coupled with their stochastic pasts, make it
impossible to construct a unique formation history from the dynamical
or compositional characteristics of them alone. In contrast, the huge
numbers of small bodies scattered throughout and even beyond the
planets, while insignificant by mass, provide an almost unlimited
number of probes of the statistical conditions, history, and
interactions in the solar system. To date, attempts to understand the
formation and evolution of the Kuiper Belt have largely been dynamical
simulations where a hypothesized starting condition is evolved under
the gravitational influence of the early giant planets and an attempt
is made to reproduce the current observed populations. With little
compositional information known for the real Kuiper Belt, the test
particles in the simulation are free to have any formation location
and history as long as they end at the correct point. Allowing
compositional information to guide and constrain the formation,
thermal, and collisional histories of these objects would add an
entire new dimension to our understanding of the evolution of the
outer solar system. While ground based compositional studies have hit
their flux limits already with only a few objects sampled, we propose
to exploit the new capabilities of WFC3 to perform the first ever
large-scale dynamical-compositional study of Kuiper Belt Objects
(KBOs) and their progeny to study the chemical, dynamical, and
collisional history of the region of the giant planets. The
sensitivity of the WFC3 observations will allow us to go up to two
magnitudes deeper than our ground based studies, allowing us the
capability of optimally selecting a target list for a large survey
rather than simply taking the few objects that can be measured, as we
have had to do to date. We have carefully constructed a sample of 120
objects which provides both overall breadth, for a general
understanding of these objects, plus a large enough number of objects
in the individual dynamical subclass to allow detailed comparison
between and within these groups. These objects will likely define the
core Kuiper Belt compositional sample for years to come. While we have
many specific results anticipated to come from this survey, as with
any project where the field is rich, our current knowledge level is
low, and a new instrument suddenly appears which can exploit vastly
larger segments of the population, the potential for discovery -- both
anticipated and not -- is extraordinary.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS 11613

GHOSTS: Stellar Outskirts of Massive Spiral Galaxies

We propose to continue our highly successful GHOSTS HST survey of the
resolved stellar populations of nearby, massive disk galaxies using
SNAPs. These observations provide star counts and color-magnitude
diagrams 2-3 magnitudes below the tip of the Red Giant Branch of the
outer disk and halo of each galaxy. We will measure the metallicity
distribution functions and stellar density profiles from star counts
down to very low average surface brightnesses, equivalent to ~32 V-mag
per square arcsec.

This proposal will substantially improve our unique sampling of galaxy
outskirts. Our targets cover a range in galaxy mass, luminosity,
inclination, and morphology. As a function of these galaxy properties,
this survey provides: - the most extensive, systematic measurement of
radial light profiles and axial ratios of the diffuse stellar halos
and outer disks of spiral galaxies; - a comprehensive analysis of halo
metallicity distributions as function of galaxy type and position
within the galaxy; - an unprecedented study of the stellar metallicity
and age distribution in the outer disk regions where the disk
truncations occur; - the first comparative study of globular clusters
and their field stellar populations.

We will use these fossil records of the galaxy assembly process to
test halo formation models within the hierarchical galaxy formation
scheme.

STIS/CCD 11611

Are Narrow-Line Seyfert 1 Galaxies Viewed Pole-on?

We will obtain spatially resolved spectra of 3 Narrow-Line Seyfert 1
galaxies (NLS1s) with the STIS G430M grating centered on the bright [O
III] emission lines. We will measure the radial velocities of the [O
III] lines across the narrow-line regions of these AGN and determine
the inclinations of their torus/accretion-disk axes via our kinematic
models. Our goal is to answer the following question: are NLS1s viewed
pole-on? If so, then the narrow widths of their permitted lines may be
due to geometric effects, rather than low black hole masses and
correspondingly high Eddington ratios as indicated by the currently
popular paradigm for NLS1s.

WFC3/UVIS 11595

Turning Out the Light: A WFC3 Program to Image z2 Damped Lyman Alpha
Systems

We propose to directly image the star-forming regions of z2 damped
Lya systems (DLAs) using the WFC3/UVIS camera on the Hubble Space
Telescope. In contrast to all previous attempts to detect the galaxies
giving rise to high redshift DLAs, we will use a novel technique that
completely removes the glare of the background quasar. Specifically,
we will target quasar sightlines with multiple DLAs and use the higher
redshift DLA as a ``blocking filter'' (via Lyman limit absorption) to
eliminate all FUV emission from the quasar. This will allow us to
carry out a deep search for FUV emission from the lower redshift DLA,
shortward of the Lyman limit of the higher redshift absorber. The
unique filter set and high spatial resolution afforded by WFC3/UVIS
will then enable us to directly image the lower redshift DLA and thus
estimate its size, star- formation rate and impact parameter from the
QSO sightline. We propose to observe a sample of 20 sightlines,
selected primarily from the SDSS database, requiring a total of 40 HST
orbits. The observations will allow us to determine the first FUV
luminosity function of high redshift DLA galaxies and to correlate the
DLA galaxy properties with the ISM characteristics inferred from
standard absorption-line analysis to significantly improve our
understanding of the general DLA population.

WFC3/UVIS 11594

A WFC3 Grism Survey for Lyman Limit Absorption at z=2

We propose to conduct a spectroscopic survey of Lyman limit absorbers
at redshifts 1.8 z 2.5, using WFC3 and the G280 grism. This
proposal intends to complete an approved Cycle 15 SNAP program
(10878), which was cut short due to the ACS failure. We have selected
64 quasars at 2.3 z 2.6 from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey
Spectroscopic Quasar Sample, for which no BAL signature is found at
the QSO redshift and no strong metal absorption lines are present at z
2.3 along the lines of sight. The survey has three main

observational goals. First, we will determine the redshift frequency
dn/dz of the LLS over the column density range 16.0 log(NHI) 20.3
cm^-2. Second, we will measure the column density frequency
distribution f(N) for the partial Lyman limit systems (PLLS) over the
column density range 16.0 log(NHI) 17.5 cm^-2. Third, we will
identify those sightlines which could provide a measurement of the
primordial D/H ratio. By carrying out this survey, we can also help
place meaningful constraints on two key quantities of cosmological
relevance. First, we will estimate the amount of metals in the LLS
using the f(N), and ground based observations of metal line
transitions. Second, by determining f(N) of the PLLS, we can constrain
the amplitude of the ionizing UV background at z~2 to a greater
precision. This survey is ideal for a snapshot observing program,
because the on-object integration times are all well below 30 minutes,
and follow-up observations from the ground require minimal telescope
time due to the QSO sample being bright.

COS/FUV/STIS/CCD/MA1 11592

Testing the Origin(s) of the Highly Ionized High-Velocity Clouds: A
Survey of Galactic Halo Stars at z3 kpc

Cosmological simulation predicts that highly ionized gas plays an
important role in the formation and evolution of galaxies and their
interplay with the intergalactic medium. The NASA HST and FUSE
missions have revealed high-velocity CIV and OVI absorption along
extragalactic sightlines through the Galactic halo. These highly
ionized high-velocity clouds (HVCs) could cover 85% of the sky and
have a detection rate higher than the HI HVCs. Two competing, equally
exciting, theories may explain the origin of these highly ionized
HVCs: 1) the "Galactic" theory, where the HVCs are the result of
feedback processes and trace the disk-halo mass exchange, perhaps
including the accretion of matter condensing from an extended corona;
2) the "Local Group" theory, where they are part of the local warm-hot
intergalactic medium, representing some of the missing baryonic matter
of the Universe. Only direct distance determinations can discriminate
between these models. Our group has found that some of these highly
ionized HVCs have a Galactic origin, based on STIS observations of one
star at z5.3 kpc. We propose an HST FUV spectral survey to search for
and characterize the high velocity NV, CIV, and SiIV interstellar
absorption toward 24 stars at much larger distances than any previous
searches (4d21 kpc, 3|z|13 kpc). COS will provide atomic to highly
ionized species (e.g.,OI, CII, CIV, SiIV) that can be observed at
sufficient resolution (R~22, 000) to not only detect these highly
ionized HVCs but also to model their properties and understand their
physics and origins. This survey is only possible because of the high
sensitivity of COS in the FUV spectral range.

WFC3/UVIS 11577

Opening New Windows on the Antennae with WFC3

We propose to use WFC3 to provide key observations of young star
clusters in "The Antennae" (NGC4038/39). Of prime importance is the
WFC3's ability to push the limiting UV magnitude FIVE mag deeper than
our previous WFPC2 observations. This corresponds to pushing the
limiting cluster mass from ~10**5 to ~10**3 solar masses for cluster
ages ~10**8 yrs. In addition, the much wider field of view of the WFC3
IR channel will allow us to map out both colliding disks rather than
just the Overlap Region between them. This will be especially
important for finding the youngest clusters that are still embedded in
their placental cocoons. The extensive set of narrow-band filters will
provide an effective means for determining the properties of shocks,
which are believed to be a primary triggering mechanism for star
formation. We will also use ACS in parallel with WFC3 to observe
portions of both the northern and southern tails at no additional
orbital cost. Finally, one additional primary WFC3 orbit will be used
to supplement exisiting HST observations of the star-forming "dwarf"
galaxy at the end of the southern tail. Hence, when completed we will
have full UBVI + H_alpha coverage (or more for the main galaxy) of
four different environments in the Antennae. In conjunction with the
extensive multi- wavelength database we have collected (both HST and
ground based) these observations will provide answers to fundamental
questions such as: How do these clusters form and evolve? How is star
formation triggered? How do star clusters affect the local and global
ISM, and the evolution of the galaxy as a whole? The Antennae galaxies
are the nearest example of a major disk--disk merger, and hence may
represent our best chance for understanding how mergers form
tremendous numbers of clusters and stars, both in the local universe
and during galaxy assembly at high redshift.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS/IR 11570

Narrowing in on the Hubble Constant and Dark Energy

A measurement of the Hubble constant to a precision of a few percent
would be a powerful aid to the investigation of the nature of dark
energy and a potent "end-to end" test of the present cosmological
model. In Cycle 15 we constructed a new streamlined distance ladder
utilizing high- quality type Ia supernova data and observations of
Cepheids with HST in the near-IR to minimize the dominant sources of
systematic uncertainty in past measurements of the Hubble constant and
reduce its total uncertainty to a little under 5%. Here we propose to
exploit this new route to reduce the remaining uncertainty by more
than 30%, translating into an equal reduction in the uncertainty of
the equation of state of dark energy. We propose three sets of
observations to reach this goal: a mosaic of NGC 4258 with WFC3 in
F160W to triple its sample of long period Cepheids, WFC3/F160W
observations of the 6 ideal SN Ia hosts to triple their samples of
Cepheids, and observations of NGC 5584 the host of a new SN Ia, SN
2007af, to discover and measure its Cepheids and begin expanding the
small set of SN Ia luminosity calibrations. These observations would
provide the bulk of a coordinated program aimed at making the
measurement of the Hubble constant one of the leading constraints on
dark energy.

S/C 11550

COS-GTO: X-Ray Binaries

This is a program to obtain UV spectra of soft X-ray transients (SXTs)
in their quiescent states. The target, A0620-00, is an interacting
binary system with a K7V donor star and a 9.7 M_solar black hole
accretor. Our observations will use the COS G140L and STIS G230L modes
to obtain low spectral resolution (R= 1000-2000), broadband (1230-3200
A) spectra of A0620-00. We will also obtain contemporaneous optical
spectra of the system, which varies on time scales of days. The data
will be used to establish the broadband SED of the system and to
measure emission line strengths and widths in the UV. The dereddened
SED will be modeled to determine the structure and temperature of the
accretion disk. The FUV region of the spectrum, which has not been
observed before, will be a key parameter in constraining the
temperature and inner truncation radius of the disk, which is believed
to transition to an advection-dominated accretion flow (ADAF) at large
distances from the black hole in quiescent SXTs. The UV line spectrum,
and in particular the NV 1240 and CIV 1550 transitions, will show
whether C depletions, which have been seen in the NIR spectrum of the
donor star, are present in the accretion disk and whether enhanced N
abundances are also seen, indicative of CNO processing of material
during the evolutionary history of the binary. Comparison of emission
line velocities between the optical HI emission and the ionized UV
metal transitions will also be used to constrain the relative extents
of the photoionized disk chromosphere and the bulk of the disk in
quiescent black hole binaries.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS 11360

Star Formation in Nearby Galaxies

Star formation is a fundamental astrophysical process; it controls
phenomena ranging from the evolution of galaxies and nucleosynthesis
to the origins of planetary systems and abodes for life. The WFC3,
optimized at both UV and IR wavelengths and equipped with an extensive
array of narrow-band filters, brings unique capabilities to this area
of study. The WFC3 Scientific Oversight Committee (SOC) proposes an
integrated program on star formation in the nearby universe which will
fully exploit these new abilities. Our targets range from the
well-resolved R136 in 30 Dor in the LMC (the nearest super star
cluster) and M82 (the nearest starbursting galaxy) to about half a
dozen other nearby galaxies that sample a wide range of star-formation
rates and environments. Our program consists of broad band
multiwavelength imaging over the entire range from the UV to the
near-IR, aimed at studying the ages and metallicities of stellar
populations, revealing young stars that are still hidden by dust at
optical wavelengths, and showing the integrated properties of star
clusters. Narrow-band imaging of the same environments will allow us
to measure star-formation rates, gas pressure, chemical abundances,
extinction, and shock morphologies. The primary scientific issues to
be addressed a (1) What triggers star formation? (2) How do the
properties of star-forming regions vary among different types of
galaxies and environments of different gas densities and compositions?
(3) How do these different environments affect the history of star
formation? (4) Is the stellar initial mass function universal or
determined by local conditions?

WFC3/ACS/IR 11235

HST NICMOS Survey of the Nuclear Regions of Luminous Infrared Galaxies
in the Local Universe

At luminosities above 10^11.4 L_sun, the space density of far-infrared
selected galaxies exceeds that of optically selected galaxies. These
`luminous infrared galaxies' (LIRGs) are primarily interacting or
merging disk galaxies undergoing enhanced star formation and Active
Galactic Nuclei (AGN) activity, possibly triggered as the objects
transform into massive S0 and elliptical merger remnants. We propose
NICMOS NIC2 imaging of the nuclear regions of a complete sample of 88
L_IR 10^11.4 L_sun luminous infrared galaxies in the IRAS Revised
Bright Galaxy Sample (RBGS: i.e., 60 micron flux density 5.24 Jy).
This sample is ideal not only in its completeness and sample size, but
also in the proximity and brightness of the galaxies. The superb
sensitivity and resolution of NICMOS NIC2 on HST enables a unique
opportunity to study the detailed structure of the nuclear regions,
where dust obscuration may mask star clusters, AGN, and additional
nuclei from optical view, with a resolution significantly higher than
possible with Spitzer IRAC. This survey thus provides a crucial
component to our study of the dynamics and evolution of IR galaxies
presently underway with Wide-Field, HST ACS/WFC3, and Spitzer IRAC
observations of these 88 galaxies. Imaging will be done with the F160W
filter (H-band) to examine as a function of both luminosity and merger
stage: (i) the luminosity and distribution of embedded star clusters,
(ii) the presence of optically obscured AGN and nuclei, (iii) the
correlation between the distribution of 1.6 micron emission and the
mid-IR emission as detected by Spitzer IRAC, (iv) the evidence of bars
or bridges that may funnel fuel into the nuclear region, and (v) the
ages of star clusters for which photometry is available via ACS/WFC3
observations. The NICMOS data, combined with the HST ACS, Spitzer, and
GALEX observations of this sample, will result in the most
comprehensive study of merging and interacting galaxies to date.

WFC3/IR 11202

The Structure of Early-type Galaxies: 0.1-100 Effective Radii

The structure, formation and evolution of early-type galaxies is still
largely an open problem in cosmology: how does the Universe evolve
from large linear scales dominated by dark matter to the highly
non-linear scales of galaxies, where baryons and dark matter both play
important, interacting, roles? To understand the complex physical
processes involved in their formation scenario, and why they have the
tight scaling relations that we observe today (e.g. the Fundamental
Plane), it is critically important not only to understand their
stellar structure, but also their dark-matter distribution from the
smallest to the largest scales. Over the last three years the SLACS
collaboration has developed a toolbox to tackle these issues in a
unique and encompassing way by combining new non-parametric strong
lensing techniques, stellar dynamics, and most recently weak
gravitational lensing, with high-quality Hubble Space Telescope
imaging and VLT/Keck spectroscopic data of early-type lens systems.
This allows us to break degeneracies that are inherent to each of
these techniques separately and probe the mass structure of early-type
galaxies from 0.1 to 100 effective radii. The large dynamic range to
which lensing is sensitive allows us both to probe the clumpy
substructure of these galaxies, as well as their low-density outer
haloes. These methods have convincingly been demonstrated, by our
team, using smaller pilot-samples of SLACS lens systems with HST data.
In this proposal, we request observing time with WFC3 and NICMOS to
observe 53 strong lens systems from SLACS, to obtain complete
multi-color imaging for each system. This would bring the total number
of SLACS lens systems to 87 with completed HST imaging and effectively
doubles the known number of galaxy-scale strong lenses. The deep HST
images enable us to fully exploit our new techniques, beat down
low-number statistics, and probe the structure and evolution of early-
type galaxies, not only with a uniform data-set an order of magnitude
larger than what is available now, but also with a fully-coherent and
self-consistent methodological approach!

NIC2 11166

The Mass-dependent Evolution of the Black Hole-Bulge Relations

In the local universe, the masses of giant black holes are correlated
with the luminosities, masses and velocity dispersions of their host
galaxy bulges. This indicates a surprisingly close connection between
the evolution of galactic nuclei (on parsec scales) and of stars on
kpc scales. A key observational test of proposed explanations for
these correlations is to measure how they have evolved over cosmic
time. Our ACS imaging of 20 Seyfert 1 galaxies at z=0.37 showed them
to have smaller bulges (by a factor of 3) for a given central black
hole mass than is found in galaxies in the present-day universe.
However, since all our sample galaxies had black hole masses in the
range 10^8.0--8.5 Msun, we could only measure the OFFSET in black hole
mass to bulge luminosity ratios from the present epoch. By extending
this study to black hole masses another factor of 10 lower, we propose
to determine the full CORRELATION of black hole mass with host galaxy
properties at a lookback time of 4 Gyrs and to test mass-dependency of
the evolution. We have selected 14 Seyfert galaxies from SDSS DR5
whose narrow Hbeta emission lines (and estimated nuclear luminosities)
imply that they have black hole masses around 10^7 Msuns. We will soon
complete our Keck spectroscopic measures of their bulge velocity
dispersions. We need a 1-orbit NICMOS image of each galaxy to separate
its nonstellar luminosity from its bulge and disk. This will allow us
to make the first determination of the full black hole/bulge relations
at z=0.37 (e.g. M-L and M-sigma), as well as a test of whether active
galaxies obey the Fundamental Plane relation at that epoch.

NIC3/WFC3/IR 11149

Characterizing the Stellar Populations in Lyman-Alpha Emitters and
Lyman Break Galaxies at 5.7z7 in the Subaru Deep Field

The epoch of reionization marks a major phase transition of the
Universe, during which the intergalactic space became transparent to
UV photons. Determining when this occurred and the physical processes
involved represents the latest frontier in observational cosmology.
Over the last few years, searches have intensified to identify the
population of high-redshift (z6) galaxies that might be responsible
for this process, but the progress is hampered partly by the
difficulty of obtaining physical information (stellar mass, age, star
formation rate/history) for individual sources. This is because the
number of z6 galaxies that have both secure spectroscopic redshifts
and high-quality infrared photometry (especially with Spitzer/IRAC) is
still fairly small. Considering that only several photometric points
are available per source, and that many model SEDs are highly
degenerate, it is crucial to obtain as many observational constraints
as possible for each source to ensure the validity of SED modeling. To
better understand the physical properties of high-redshift galaxies,
we propose here to conduct HST/NICMOS (72 orbits) and Spitzer/IRAC
(102 hours) imaging of spectroscopically confirmed, bright (z26 mag
(AB)) Ly-alpha emitters (LAEs) and Lyman-break galaxies (LBGs) at
5.7z7 selected from the Subaru Deep Field. Spectroscopic redshifts
remove one critical free parameter from SED modeling while bright
source magnitudes ensure high-quality photometric data. By making
accurate determinations of stellar masses, ages, and star-formation
histories, we will specifically address the following major questions:
(1) Do LAEs and LBGs represent physically different galaxy populations
at z6 as suggested recently? (2) Is Ly-alpha emission systematically
suppressed at z6 with respect to continuum emission? (i.e., are we
reaching the epoch of incomplete reionization?), and (3) Do we see any
sign of abnormally young stellar population in any of the z6
galaxies?

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

12226 - COS 630(DCE_DIAG_CRP_SHUTDOWN) at 080/03:25:11. Diagnostic
error 0x22 reported by the DCE and relayed to the ground via the CS
resulting in FUV shutdown.

Observations affected: COS FUV ID#74-89 & 92-98 Proposal ID#12096 and
COS FUV #2-6 Proposal #11895

12227 - COS 1035 (TA_GLOBAL_THRESHOLD_NOT_EXCEEDED) @ 080/05:47z While
preparing to calculate a flux-weighted centroid to determine the
location of a target(after a sky scan), a target acquisition macro
determined that there are not enough total counts to compute a
meaningful flux-weighted centroid. Observation used NUV detector.

Observations possibly affected: COS NUV ID#90-91 Proposal ID#12096

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:

18835-1 - Dump COS DCE and ExecRam after COS 630 STB @ 080/0735z

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 26 26
FGS REAcq 21 21
OBAD with Maneuver 19 19

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

On Sunday morning 12:25 am (DOY 080, 3:25:11 UT), COS Error Message
COS 630 - DCE DIAG CRP SHUTDOWN, indicated that the Detector Control
Electronics had reset and is now in BOOT Mode.

Daily Report #4825 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 3rd 09 04:22 PM
Daily Report #4796 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 February 23rd 09 03:05 PM
Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM