Daily Rpt #4984

Old December 3rd 09, 10:48 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Bassford, Lynn[_2_]

Default Daily Rpt #4984

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #4984

PERIOD COVERED: 5am December 2 - 5am December 3, 2009 (DOY 336/10:00z-337/10:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/WFC3 11879

CCD Daily Monitor (Part 1)

This program comprises basic tests for measuring the read noise and
dark current of the ACS WFC and for tracking the growth of hot pixels.
The recorded frames are used to create bias and dark reference images
for science data reduction and calibration. This program will be
executed four days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) for the duration of
Cycle 17. To facilitate scheduling, this program is split into three
proposals. This proposal covers 352 orbits (22 weeks) from 31 August
2009 to 31 January 2010.

STIS/CCD 11844

CCD Dark Monitor Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 11846

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2,
2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up
high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 11849

STIS CCD Hot Pixel Annealing

This purpose of this activity is to repair radiation induced hot pixel
damage to the STIS CCD by warming the CCD to the ambient instrument
temperature and annealing radiation-damaged pixels.

Radiation damage creates hot pixels in the STIS CCD Detector. Many of
these hot pixels can be repaired by warming the CCD from its normal
operating temperature near - 83 deg. C to the ambient instrument
temperature (~ +5 deg. C) for several hours. The number of hot pixels
repaired is a function of annealing temperature. The effectiveness of
the CCD hot pixel annealing process is assessed by measuring the dark
current behavior before and after annealing and by searching for any
window contamination effects.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS 11724

Direct Age Determination of the Local Group dE Galaxies NGC 147 and
NGC 185

The origin of dwarf elliptical (dE) galaxies remains a mystery and the
dE galaxies of the Local Group provide the best opportunity to study
this galaxy class in detail.v We propose to obtain ACS photometry of
main sequence turnoff stars in the M31 dE satellites NGC 147 and NGC
185. Because these galaxies have little to no stars younger than 1
Gyr, resolving the main sequence turnoff is required to directly
quantify their star formation histories. NGC 147 and NGC 185 are the
only two dEs for which a clean measurement is feasible with the HST.
This proposal was accepted in Cycle 15, but little data were taken
before the failure of ACS. The main sequence turnoffs of NGC 147 and
NGC 185 are expected to be at an apparent magnitude of V=29; we
request F606W/F814W imaging one half magnitude fainter than this limit
(three magnitudes fainter than the deepest previous dE observations).
Quantifying the ratio of old to intermediate-age stars will allow us
to discriminate between competing models of dE formation. On-going
Keck/DEIMOS spectroscopy of several hundred red giant stars in each of
these two dE galaxies, coupled with dynamical modeling and spectral
synthesis, will complement the ACS measurement by providing
information on chemical abundance patterns, dark matter content and
internal dynamics. The proposed ACS data will be the first to directly
quantify the onset and duration of star formation episodes in dE
galaxies, and will thereby form the cornerstone in what promises to be
the most comprehensive study of this class of galaxies.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11714

Snapshot Survey for Planetary Nebulae in Local Group Globular Clusters

PLanetary nebulae (PNe) in globular clusters (GCs) raise a number of
interesting issues related to stellar and galactic evolution. The
number of PNe known in Milky Way GCs, four, is surprisingly low if one
assumes that all stars pass through a PN stage. However, it is likely
that the remnants of stars now evolving in galactic GCs leave the AGB
so slowly that any ejected nebula dissipates long before the star
becomes hot enough to ionize it. Thus there should not be ANY PNe in
Milky Way GCs--but there are four! It has been suggested that these
Pne are the result of mergers of binary stars within GCs, i.e., that
they are descendants of blue stragglers. The frequency of occurrence
of PNe in external galaxies poses more questions, because it shows a
range of almost an order of magnitude.

I propose a SNAPshot survey aimed at discovering PNe in the GC systems
of Local Group galaxies outside the Milky Way. These clusters, some of
which may be much younger than their counterparts in our galaxy, might
contain many more PNe than those of our own galaxy. I will use the
standard technique of emission-line and continuum imaging, which
easily discloses PNe. This proposal continues a WFPC2 program started
in Cycle 16, but with the more powerful WFC3. As a by-product, the
survey will also produce color-magnitude diagrams for numerous
clusters for the first time, reaching down to the horizontal branch.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11644

A Dynamical-Compositional Survey of the Kuiper Belt: A New Window Into
the Formation of the Outer Solar System

The eight planets overwhelmingly dominate the solar system by mass,
but their small numbers, coupled with their stochastic pasts, make it
impossible to construct a unique formation history from the dynamical
or compositional characteristics of them alone. In contrast, the huge
numbers of small bodies scattered throughout and even beyond the
planets, while insignificant by mass, provide an almost unlimited
number of probes of the statistical conditions, history, and
interactions in the solar system. To date, attempts to understand the
formation and evolution of the Kuiper Belt have largely been dynamical
simulations where a hypothesized starting condition is evolved under
the gravitational influence of the early giant planets and an attempt
is made to reproduce the current observed populations. With little
compositional information known for the real Kuiper Belt, the test
particles in the simulation are free to have any formation location
and history as long as they end at the correct point. Allowing
compositional information to guide and constrain the formation,
thermal, and collisional histories of these objects would add an
entire new dimension to our understanding of the evolution of the
outer solar system. While ground based compositional studies have hit
their flux limits already with only a few objects sampled, we propose
to exploit the new capabilities of WFC3 to perform the first ever
large-scale dynamical-compositional study of Kuiper Belt Objects
(KBOs) and their progeny to study the chemical, dynamical, and
collisional history of the region of the giant planets. The
sensitivity of the WFC3 observations will allow us to go up to two
magnitudes deeper than our ground based studies, allowing us the
capability of optimally selecting a target list for a large survey
rather than simply taking the few objects that can be measured, as we
have had to do to date. We have carefully constructed a sample of 120
objects which provides both overall breadth, for a general
understanding of these objects, plus a large enough number of objects
in the individual dynamical subclass to allow detailed comparison
between and within these groups. These objects will likely define the
core Kuiper Belt compositional sample for years to come. While we have
many specific results anticipated to come from this survey, as with
any project where the field is rich, our current knowledge level is
low, and a new instrument suddenly appears which can exploit vastly
larger segments of the population, the potential for discovery -- both
anticipated and not -- is extraordinary.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11662

Improving the Radius-Luminosity Relationship for Broad-Lined AGNs with
a New Reverberation Sample

The radius-luminosity (R-L) relationship is currently the fundamental
basis for all techniques used to estimate black hole masses in AGNs,
in both the nearby and distant universe. However, the current R-L
relationship is based on 34 objects that cover a limited range in
black hole mass and luminosity. To improve our understanding of black
hole growth and evolution, the R-L relationship must be extended to
cover a broader range of black hole masses using the technique known
as reverberation mapping. To this end, we have been awarded an
unprecedented 64 nights on the Lick Observatory 3- m telescope between
March 24 and May 31, 2008, to spectroscopically monitor 12 AGNs in
order to measure their black hole masses. To properly determine the
luminosities of these 12 AGNs, we must correct them for their
host-galaxy starlight contributions using high-resolution images.
Previous work by Bentz et al. (2006) has shown that the starlight
correction to AGN luminosity measurements is an essential component to
interpreting the R-L relationship. The correction will be substantial
for each of the 12 sources we will monitor, as the AGNs are relatively
faint and embedded in nearby, bright galaxies. Starlight corrections
are not possible with ground-based images, as the PSF and bulge
contributions become indistinguishable under typical seeing
conditions, and adaptive optics are not yet operational in the
spectral range where the corrections are needed. In addition, spectral
decompositions are very model- dependent and are limited by the degree
of accuracy to which we understand emission processes and stellar
populations in galaxies. Without correcting for starlight, we will be
unable to apply the results of our Spring 2008 campaign to the body of
knowledge from previous reverberation mapping work. Therefore, we
propose to obtain high resolution, high dynamic range images of the
host galaxies of the 12 AGNs in our ground-based monitoring sample, as
well as one white dwarf which will be used as a PSF model.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11835

The Multi-Faceted X-Ray Activity of Low-Redshift Active Galaxies

We propose ACIS-I observations of Chandra-unobserved low-redshift 3CRR
active galaxies and their environments. The data will complete Chandra
observations of 3CRR at z 0.1, making the sample useful for
statistical studies. Only Chandra can resolve the multiple components
of these sources, as is needed for an improved understanding of source
physics and gas heating. The imaging and spectroscopy of cores, jets,
hot spots, and atmospheres will be of permanent legacy value. We will
use the data to investigate particle acceleration, interactions
between radio plasma and the ISM and IGM, the emission mechanisms of
hot spots, and AGN fueling. Comparison with our complete Spitzer
coverage and HST images will aid interpretation. The dataset will be
made public immediately.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES:
SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 8 8
FGS REAcq 6 6
OBAD with Maneuver 6 6

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily #4090 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 April 12th 06 02:46 PM
Daily #4076 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 07:09 PM
Daily #4075 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 06:39 PM
Daily #4074 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 06:26 PM
Daily #4073 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 06:15 PM