New transiting extrasolar planet

Old October 4th 07, 12:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Daniele Gasparri

Default New transiting extrasolar planet

Hello group;
I want to inform that me and an international team of amateur and
professional astronomers, has discovered a new transiting extrasolar planet.
The planet is HD17156b a jupiter like that orbits around its parent star in
21.2 days on an high eccentricity orbit (e = 0.67). This is the largest
orbital period transiting planet ever discovered, and all the photometric
data were taken with amateur equipment.
For more information and to read the scientific article, see:
http://www.danielegasparri.com/eng/HD17156/index.htm and
http://exoplanet.eu/index.php (click on HD17156b link).
Clear skies!

Daniele Gasparri
Perugia (Italy)
www.danielegasparri.com

Old October 4th 07, 06:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

For more information and to read the scientific article, see:http://www.danielegasparri.com/eng/H...ndex.php(click on HD17156b link).
Clear skies!

Daniele Gasparri
Perugia (Italy)www.danielegasparri.com

What is the matter with you people !.

A transit is a very specific event where a planet in an inner orbital
circuit overtakes a slower moving planet with the central Sun as a
backdrop .If you cannot grasp this basic fact I suggest you go to the
point about 2 minutes 20 seconds into the video to grasp this
heliocentric term -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thBSD...elated&search=

The fact that you see a planet or a satellite pass before a largre
object from an earthbound observation does not make for a generic term
'transit'.Apparent retrogrades of the outer planets are resolved by a
faster orbitally moving Earth,apparent transits are resolved by a
slower orbitally moving Earth.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...2000_tezel.gif

You have these big and powerful telescopes and can't use the images
properly or lump different observations into the one generic term.

Old October 4th 07, 07:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:16:06 -0700, oriel36
wrote:

A transit is a very specific event where a planet in an inner orbital
circuit overtakes a slower moving planet with the central Sun as a
backdrop...

A transit is the passage of one body in front of another. Neither body
need be a planet or a star.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 4th 07, 07:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

wrote:

A transit is a very specific event where a planet in an inner orbital
circuit overtakes a slower moving planet with the central Sun as a
backdrop...

A transit is the passage of one body in front of another. Neither body
need be a planet or a star.

True, and the body that passes in front must also be the smaller of the two.

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://comets.skyhound.com

To reply take out your eye
Old October 5th 07, 04:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

wrote:

A transit is a very specific event where a planet in an inner orbital
circuit overtakes a slower moving planet with the central Sun as a
backdrop...

A transit is the passage of one body in front of another. Neither body
need be a planet or a star.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatoryhttp://www.cloudbait.com

The transit of Venus in 2012 as it ovetakes the slower moving Earth
is an affirmation that we see our motion along with the motion of the
other planets around central star.

Silly,nay,stupid people believe that heliocentric reasoning involves
a hypothetical observer on the Sun to account for heliocentric motion
-

" For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct,
sometimes stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde But from the sun
they are always seen direct ," Newton

So Chris, with modern imaging and graphics such as the sequence which
occurs about 2 minutes 30 seconds into that excellent video,even you
can grasp that a transit is a specific event that needs a definite
heliocentric context given it is the most immediate way to affirm what
Copernicus knew over 500 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thBSD...elated&search=

Of course,I have to suffer the indignity of pointing out the need for
categorising transits but do not believe that earthbound astrologers
could manage to know the difference.

Old October 5th 07, 04:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

wrote:

A transit is a very specific event where a planet in an inner orbital
circuit overtakes a slower moving planet with the central Sun as a
backdrop...

A transit is the passage of one body in front of another. Neither body
need be a planet or a star.

True, and the body that passes in front must also be the smaller of the two.

I look at how you guys reason things out or at least try to work with
astronomical material and I realise how difficult it is for you,even
what you think is true is either false or irrelevent.

It is the same with everything else,I do not doubt that people see the
Earth overtaking the outer planets (retrogrades) or the inner planets
overtaking the Earth (transits) ,how the 24 hour cycle came about,how
Newton got it wrong with retrogrades , Flamsteed with axial rotation
and the zodiac or any of the multitude of different astronomical
facets.I do not see why they should be frightened of a few
mathematicians who make themselves look ridiculous by handling
astronomical material with the utmost clumsiness.

Go enjoy the bananerama video which was put together by a creative
individual,the sort of people who should be promoting astronomy.

Old October 8th 07, 09:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Per Erik Jorde

"Daniele Gasparri" writes:

Hello group;
I want to inform that me and an international team of amateur and
professional astronomers, has discovered a new transiting extrasolar planet.
The planet is HD17156b a jupiter like that orbits around its parent star in
21.2 days on an high eccentricity orbit (e = 0.67). This is the largest
orbital period transiting planet ever discovered, and all the photometric
data were taken with amateur equipment.
For more information and to read the scientific article, see:
http://www.danielegasparri.com/eng/HD17156/index.htm and
http://exoplanet.eu/index.php (click on HD17156b link).

That is very impressive, Daniele!
Thanks for posting.