A Reagan quote

Old June 9th 04, 12:05 PM
jjustwwondering

Default A Reagan quote

"the American people would rather reach for the stars than reach for
excuses why we shouldn't."

(http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/resourc...984/90384c.htm)
Old June 9th 04, 12:38 PM
Ool

"jjustwwondering" wrote in message m...

"the American people would rather reach for the stars than reach for
excuses why we shouldn't."

(http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/resourc...984/90384c.htm)

Is that why the Eighties will forever go down in history as the decade
when the first American Moon base was established and the first people
walked on Mars?

(Not that I blame Reagan. I blame him for many things, but not for
this. At least not in particular.)

Well, even if none of the above happened, at least we don't have to
fear nukes any more because of those brilliant laser-beaming satel-
lites what can snuff out an ICBM in a heartbeat...

--
__ "A good leader knows when it's best to ignore the __
('__` screams for help and focus on the bigger picture." '__`)

Old June 9th 04, 12:46 PM
Paul F. Dietz

jjustwwondering wrote:

"the American people would rather reach for the stars than reach for
excuses why we shouldn't."

(http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/resourc...984/90384c.htm)

This could be true, but there are many other things they'd rather
do than either of those.

There's also the unwarranted implication that excuses are necessary.
Most people just don't care.

Paul
Old June 9th 04, 01:51 PM
Herm

well, better safe than sorry.. it would have been bad news to go into
armageddon with the sorry state tha nation's armed forces where in.. and
look what happened.. Peace thru Strength worked again.

It really worked!, and even reaganomics worked spectacularly well..the old
Gipper was right after all.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:58:40 -0600, quibbler wrote:

You should blame him. He wasted trillions on weapons to prepare for
the mythical battle of armageddon, which many of his supporters were
convinced would occur at the millennium. If it hadn't been for his
religious kookery and bizarre voodoo economics then we might have had a
lot more money for space exploration.

Herm
Astropics http://home.att.net/~hermperez
Old June 9th 04, 02:58 PM
quibbler

In article , ulrich.schreglmann@t-
online.de says...
"jjustwwondering" wrote in message m...

"the American people would rather reach for the stars than reach for
excuses why we shouldn't."

(http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/resourc...984/90384c.htm)

Is that why the Eighties will forever go down in history as the decade
when the first American Moon base was established and the first people
walked on Mars?

(Not that I blame Reagan. I blame him for many things, but not for
this. At least not in particular.)

You should blame him. He wasted trillions on weapons to prepare for
the mythical battle of armageddon, which many of his supporters were
convinced would occur at the millennium. If it hadn't been for his
religious kookery and bizarre voodoo economics then we might have had a
lot more money for space exploration.

--
Quibbler (quibbler247atyahoo.com)
"It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the
Old June 9th 04, 06:25 PM
Mike Combs

"quibbler" wrote in message
t...

You should blame him. He wasted trillions on weapons to prepare for
the mythical battle of armageddon, which many of his supporters were
convinced would occur at the millennium.

I'd say money spent running communism into the ground was hardly a waste,
whether it got applied to the task of fighting a nuclear war or not.

If it hadn't been for his
religious kookery and bizarre voodoo economics then we might have had a
lot more money for space exploration.

Since Apollo, how many new space initiatives have come from Democrats? How
many from Republicans?

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"

Old June 9th 04, 07:29 PM
Ool

"Mike Combs" wrote in message ...
"quibbler" wrote in message
t...

You should blame him. He wasted trillions on weapons to prepare for
the mythical battle of armageddon, which many of his supporters were
convinced would occur at the millennium.

I'd say money spent running communism into the ground was hardly a waste,
whether it got applied to the task of fighting a nuclear war or not.

In my opinion they were running themselves in the ground quite well
without the need for outside help. I agree with Tim Kreider in his
latest "The Pain" cartoon, where he claims that if we credit him with
winning the Cold War we might as well credit him with the Challenger
Disaster and the return of Halley's Comet.

And by supporting the Soviets' enemies the Americans may have opened
the very Pandora's box that may be their own undoing today. Yester-
day's Mujaheddin = today's Taliban. Yesterday's allied Saddam we sold
all those chemical and biological weapons to = today's--well, actually
comparatively harmless guy until we chose to fire him and take over
his job...

If it hadn't been for his
religious kookery and bizarre voodoo economics then we might have had a
lot more money for space exploration.

Since Apollo, how many new space initiatives have come from Democrats? How
many from Republicans?

That's why I said I don't blame Reagan in particular. I might as well
blame Clinton, too, and everyone else in charge.

Lewis Black said that the Democrats are the party of no ideas and that
Republicans are the party of bad ideas. As far as American space pol-
icies of the last thirty years are concerned I agree with that assess-
ment.

People are just stupid when it comes to realizing the *true* potential
of space and its resources.

Old June 10th 04, 01:52 AM
Scott Lowther

Ool wrote:

And by supporting the Soviets' enemies the Americans may have opened
the very Pandora's box that may be their own undoing today. Yester-
day's Mujaheddin = today's Taliban.

Bull****. Yesterday's *US funded* Mujaheddin = yesterday's Northern
Alliance = todays Afghani allies.

Yesterday's allied Saddam we sold
all those chemical and biological weapons

Sorry, that was the French and the Germans.

If it hadn't been for his
religious kookery and bizarre voodoo economics then we might have had a
lot more money for space exploration.

You mean the *Soviets* would ahve had lots more money for space
exploration, as they would still be around and menacing the world.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old June 10th 04, 02:09 AM
Ool

From: "Scott Lowther"
Ool wrote:

Yesterday's allied Saddam we sold
all those chemical and biological weapons

Sorry, that was the French and the Germans.

No, that was Reagan. Iran-Contra, Arms for Hostages, and all that...
Ring a bell?

If it doesn't listen to Air America Radio every once in a while!
http://play.rbn.com/?url=airam/airam....rm&proto=rtsp

It'll give you a reality check on Reagan's conduct and popularity and
everything else your big-business-biased media routinely distort.

Old June 10th 04, 04:21 AM
Scott Lowther

From: "Scott Lowther"
Ool wrote:

Yesterday's allied Saddam we sold
all those chemical and biological weapons

Sorry, that was the French and the Germans.

No, that was Reagan. Iran-Contra, Arms for Hostages, and all that...
Ring a bell?

Ahem: *IRAN*-Contra.

And they weren't chemical or biological weapons.

If it doesn't listen to Air America Radio every once in a while!

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

Yes, and then I can sit around and sing the Internationale.