MSNBC: "Space station mission opposed"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 24th 03, 10:07 AM
Derek Lyons

Default MSNBC: "Space station mission opposed"

"James Oberg" wrote:
There doesn't appear to be ANY real medical plan of how to detect
contamination levels based on crew medical symptoms (sense of smell/taste,
headache, itchiness, vision problems, breathing difficulties, etc. --

Speaking as one who has lived in such an enviroment, you don't need a
damm plan, just situational awareness.

they just rely on the 'medical judgment' of the Flight Surgeon -- who is often a
future astronaut-wannabe) or use such detection to make the choice to shut
down the station.

While we did have an atmosphere monitoring program that covered the
usual suspects, we handled unusual cases very simply. If the Doc
started to note a cluster of unusual complaints, we went into
breathing masks and headed for the roof to ventilate overboard. The
whole 'plan' covered a single sheet of ordinary paper.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.