hmmmm

Old February 8th 04, 04:56 AM
John Zinni

"Bill Sheppard" wrote in message
Dat's me wrote,

Let's put another little twist into that:
What if the two black holes are
spinning.... ?

Whatever would lead you to believe they would not be spinning???
(following JohnZ's penchant for multiple question marks.g) oc

Whatever do you mean??????????? ;-)

Old February 8th 04, 05:07 AM
John Zinni

"Dat's Me" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:51:25 -0500, Greg Neill wrote:

"Rob" . wrote in message ...
[I know this is an astronomy group and not a wild ideas and theorys
group but I didn't know where else to post.]

I was wondering if 2 blackholes say blackhole A & blackhole B of equal

mass
colided, what would happen. The first thought is them to merge like any
other mass. However since time space technicaly does not exist and

possibly
exits in another dimension/universe. Would they cancel each other out

by
A going into B, and at the same time B going into A. I then thought if
this was the case would instead of A leading to universe A1 and B to B1
(from

our
universe) would it now lead directly from A1 to B1...

Whats your thoughts on what would happen?

You get one, larger black hole.

Let's put another little twist into that: What if the two black holes are
spinning (at same rate in same plane) in opposite directions? Everything
the same except spin direction, end result =?

A Schwarzschild (no spin) Black Hole.

Old February 8th 04, 06:57 AM
Dat's Me

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 20:14:14 -0800, Bill Sheppard wrote:

Dat's me wrote,

Let's put another little twist into that: What if the two black holes are
spinning.... ?

Whatever would lead you to believe they would not be spinning???

Perhaps next time, you'll read the _whole_ sentence.

Old February 8th 04, 07:11 AM
Dat's Me

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:07:04 -0500, John Zinni wrote:

Let's put another little twist into that: What if the two black holes
are spinning (at same rate in same plane) in opposite directions?
Everything the same except spin direction, end result =?

A Schwarzschild (no spin) Black Hole.

Thank you John. I did do a google search (trying to find answer myself)
before posting, I used the word "spin" when I should have used rotating.
I looked up your answer & went from there.

Old February 8th 04, 12:54 PM
Benoit Morrissette

"Rob" . wrote in message ...
[...]

They cannot rotate at EXACTLY the same speed ( down to the nth decimal ) so
there must be a residual rotation, no?
Good night!

Benoît Morrissette
Old February 8th 04, 01:16 PM
John Zinni

"Benoit Morrissette" wrote in message

They cannot rotate at EXACTLY the same speed ( down to the nth decimal )

so
there must be a residual rotation, no?

They can if we're batting around hypotheticals.

Old February 8th 04, 07:23 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Rob I think two blackholes colliding might be rare,but do happen. We
dectect two neutron stars revolving around each other (binary
system),and the measurements made how they are getting closer,and closer
together(will collide someday) got the two astronomers doing the
measurements for 10 years Nobels. BH have to be doing the same
thing. I would think their force of gravity would be so great when their
obits get close enough that they would not spin. They would rotate like
a dumbell. Locked together with the same side of their event horizons,
(like siamese twins) As they get very close there would be no tearing of
each other apart. A trillionth of a second before touching they both
would reach the speed of light. If both black holes have diameters of
close to 8 million miles they would have their singularites explode in a
trillionth of a second (the action to release their singularities to
space a billion times faster than light.) I have stopped light an inch
and a half after it left its source. To match the time of the action of
two singularites touching I would have to take a picture of a photon as
it leaves the electron,and the distance half the size of a billionth of
a Planck length. The uncertainty Principle makes this impossable
Bert

Old February 9th 04, 02:45 AM

Rob wrote:
[I know this is an astronomy group and not a wild ideas and theorys
group but I didn't know where else to post.]

I was wondering if 2 blackholes say blackhole A & blackhole B of
equal mass colided, what would happen.

Whats your thoughts on what would happen?

NCSA used a Cray Supercomputer to figure out what would happen. Read the
article he
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SCMS/Di...es-Seidel.html

The evolution of the collision of two equal mass black holes was computed
using a Cray C-90 supercomputer at the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center and
Cray Y-MP at NCSA. The black holes start initially at rest, and accelerate
towards each other as a result of their mutual attraction due to gravity. As
the holes collide, a large, distorted black hole is formed, which vibrates
at its characteristic frequency. The final oscillating hole emits
gravitational waves at this frequency as it settles down to its quiet,
spherical state.

--
Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?