" Black Eye " Galaxy

Old February 6th 04, 06:20 AM
nightbat

Default " Black Eye " Galaxy

nightbat wrote

Nice link about the " Black Eye " galaxy caught by the
Hubble Space Telescope. Heard some news Nasa is reconsidering just
letting the Hubble big eye drop. It would be nice if we kept a clear eye
on space and one on Darla, ha, ha.

See: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/science2.jsp

the nightbat

Old February 6th 04, 02:12 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Nightbat Thanks for that picture. Seems that galaxy core is
inverted. That is the first galaxy that I've seen that does not have the
look of a fried egg. I wonder how far away from us it is? They have the
theory that it merged with another galaxy. I wonder if the spin of the
blackhole in the core could cause this effect since it looks
like a whirlpool Bert

Old February 6th 04, 03:03 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Hi Nightbat Thanks for that picture. Seems that galaxy core is
inverted. That is the first galaxy that I've seen that does not have the
look of a fried egg. I wonder how far away from us it is? They have the
theory that it merged with another galaxy. I wonder if the spin of the
blackhole in the core could cause this effect since it looks
like a whirlpool Bert

I think what you are seeing is the result of the dust cloud in the galaxy
between us and it. From what I have read, it's structure is not uncommon, it
just looks like Rocky in the 10th round because of the dust.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old February 9th 04, 02:35 AM

nightbat wrote:
Nice link about the " Black Eye " galaxy caught by the
Hubble Space Telescope. Heard some news Nasa is reconsidering just
letting the Hubble big eye drop. It would be nice if we kept a clear
eye on space and one on Darla, ha, ha.

I believe it was Scientific American that recently had an article about it.
Hubbell was scheduled to be replaced by something better about 5 years from
now. They had scheduled updates to Hubbell for 2004/2005 that involved
equipment that degrades over time (batteries, motors, etc.). Since the
shuttle crashed and we lost a few years of flights, there were not that
many flights left between 2005 and when Shuttle puts the Hubbell replacement
in space. So it did not make sense to bump other missions (to the ISS) to
fix the Hubbell, which was just going to be replaced 24 months later. I
am paraphrasing this article on memory, so some dates may be fuzzy.
Hell, the article being in Scientific American may be fuzzy. :-)

Here is something I could find for you about Hubbell and what needed
replacement (note the last scheduled mission would have been 24 months from
now anyway).
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/future/

Here is something about the Space Telescope that replaces the Hubbell. It
says it goes operational in 2011, I wonder why 2008 is stuck in my head....
http://jwstsite.stsci.edu/

Please note that when the HST looked back in time, NASA says it could not
even look back to the Dark Age. Allegedly this new Space Telescope /
Cosmic Background Explorer will see past the Dark Age and all the way to
300K years after Big Bang. Here is a NASA interpretation:
http://jwstsite.stsci.edu/telescope/...cs/lg_cone.jpg

--
Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?