Ping Pat -- modelling jammed antennas

Old December 1st 06, 09:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Default Ping Pat -- modelling jammed antennas

I'll try to rope you in on this, Pat:

From: "snidely"
Newsgroups: sci.space.station
Subject: pictures of jammed Progress antenna from EVA?

Jim Oberg wrote:
Anybody seen any really good photographs
of the jammed Kurs antenna on the Progress,
from the last EVA? Suggested URLs, please!

Spasibo!!

Sorry, I haven't even gone to John's sight for the video of the
spacewalk yet. But I don't understand why OM doesn't have this, and a
model made by adapting a Revell refueling probe ;-} (Pat will
probably have one made from recycling a tin can in thin thin strips).

/dps

Er, "John's site".

/dps

Old December 2nd 06, 12:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

snidely wrote:

Sorry, I haven't even gone to John's sight for the video of the
spacewalk yet. But I don't understand why OM doesn't have this, and a
model made by adapting a Revell refueling probe ;-} (Pat will
probably have one made from recycling a tin can in thin thin strips).

/dps

Er, "John's site".

What scale are we talking here?
Here's some shots of the Kurs:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...laws_kurs1.jpg
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...laws_kurs2.jpg
I found out those little silver disc valves in a disposable lighter with
the short rod on them make great early Soyuz docking radars (the one of
the latticework antennae mounting that sticks out of the upper side of
the orbital module) in 1/144th scale.
This looks like a job for some stretched sprue or thin brass rod if you
were doing it in a larger scale.
A set of hole punches of various size and some thin sheet styrene might
supply the antenna proper.
If your building something for the 1/30th scale Soyuz model from Russia
to convert it into a TMA (this would get pretty severe as a _lot_ is
going to have to be changed) or the 1/48th scale Soyuz resin kit, then
what you want to do is head for your local craft store and get some of
those plastic eyes for dolls and stuffed animals that have the white
back, transparent front, and the black disc that rolls around inside of
them. These come in a large variety of diameters, so it shouldn't be too
difficult to get the size you need.
Using a razor or very sharp X-acto knife, carefully cut the white
backing disc off, and sand the outer edge down till what you are left
with is a transparent parabolic dish. Then you can make a sprue or
styrene rod center receiver for it and glue it in the inside of this.
The mounting arms can be made out of various diameter styrene rod stock,
or if you want to go whole-hog, brass rods or tubing. This is available
at most hobby shops that sell model railway parts, and also is sometimes
used for plumbing on RC aircraft. That disc behind the parabola antenna
itself a job for the hole punch and sheet styrene.

Pat
Old December 2nd 06, 02:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Pat Flannery wrote:
That disc behind the parabola antenna
itself a job for the hole punch and sheet styrene.

How do you model the crumpling?

/dps

Old December 2nd 06, 05:48 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jim Oberg[_1_]

MSNBC.com (Oberg): Orbital repairmen will have to try again

Heavier-duty tools may be used to free jammed antenna on space station

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15988679/

By James Oberg, NBC News space analyst // Special to MSNBC

Updated: 7:09 p.m. CT Dec 1, 2006

link to story.. and see the artwork:

An artist's conception shows how two spacewalkers should be positioned at
the international space station's service module to free a stuck antenna.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...le_diagram.jpg

NASA -- A picture taken by the international space station's spacewalkers -
and published here for the first time - shows the stuck antenna in detail,
with the dish beneath the handrail on the right edge of the image.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...2.standard.jpg

This may be the general purpose cutter tool:

on left side of
http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/mirrors/imag...7/10073255.jpg

Old December 2nd 06, 08:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

snidely wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

That disc behind the parabola antenna
itself a job for the hole punch and sheet styrene.

How do you model the crumpling?

Aluminum foil or metallic mylar, and gel-type superglue.
Don't even think about using standard superglue, as it will make a
complete mess.
By how much you crinkle the aluminum foil or mylar, you can scale the
crinkling of it to the size of the covering and the scale of the vehicle.
Thicker aluminum foil works best for larger scale vehicles; thinner foil
or mylar for the smaller scale ones.
"Discovery" is in 1/144th scale, uses gold mylar gift wrapping that is
tightly crinkled, and is six feet long:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/gallery/pf_disc.htm

Pat
Old December 4th 06, 11:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Pat Flannery wrote:
[...]
"Discovery" is in 1/144th scale, uses gold mylar gift wrapping that is
tightly crinkled, and is six feet long:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/gallery/pf_disc.htm

Hehe.

Oh, and Jim O has updates on your antenna.

/dps

Old December 5th 06, 01:26 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

snidely wrote:

Hehe.

Oh, and Jim O has updates on your antenna.

The six propellant tanks hold slush hydrogen; originally they were going
to also going to be covered in gold mylar, but a test of one done that
way ended up looking like a festively-wrapped gift Christmas gift summer
sausage, so that idea got dropped.
I'll send you a couple of jpgs of where all the parts on the model came
from, and what everything is supposed to do.

Pat
Old December 6th 06, 08:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On 4 Dec 2006 15:28:54 -0800, "snidely" wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:
[...]
"Discovery" is in 1/144th scale, uses gold mylar gift wrapping that is
tightly crinkled, and is six feet long:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/gallery/pf_disc.htm

Oh, and Jim O has updates on your antenna.

....Yeah, but the one thing is that Pat has never explained where he
got *two* of those PE kits.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old December 7th 06, 12:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

On 4 De

...Yeah, but the one thing is that Pat has never explained where he
got *two* of those PE kits.

Keep your eyes peeled I was going through Finescale Modeler and spotted
an ad for a guy that had them for sale for around $17.00 each.
Finding those, and four remaindered Revell "Space Operation Centers" at
$10.00 each was what got the whole project rolling.
When I scratchbuild something complex, I've found that a budget of
around $ 100 per foot length works out about right.
By that standard "Discovery" was a major bargain, coming in at around
$250-$300 total or around $50 per foot.
Of course, those PVC pipes for the slush hydrogen tanks helped a lot in
that regard.
I just had a blast from the past, and finally got around to building my
Monogram re-release of the Wright Flyer I bought a year or so back ( I
had this at least twice as a kid).
The thing is now done, and I am cross-eyed from all that rigging of the
guy wires.
The instruction sheet warns you this will take a while. They aren't
f*kin kidding... it took eight hours or more.
At least I now understand how this all works, and my hat's really off to
the Wright brothers; the thing is complex, but they really knew what
they were doing from both a structural and aerodynamic point of view...
it's all carefully thought out, lightweight, and strong, right down to
the counter-rotating props to cancel out torque - a very sophisticated
piece of machinery.
Also, after having botched two over the years, my third attempt at
building a Tamiya 1/72 scale X-1 finally paid off.
This should have been a easy model to do, but for some reason the thing
got botched the first two times.
I did make one subtle change to it, and actually connected the
propellant tanks to the engine.
It's still got the color scheme of "Glamorous Glennis", and the innards
of a turbopump driven X-1, but that's something few people will notice.

Pat