Why load payload at pad?

Old July 2nd 07, 12:52 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Findlay

Default Why load payload at pad?

I've noted that they seem to load the payload into the shuttle at the pad
often. Why is this done there and not the VAB? Thanks,

David
Old July 3rd 07, 02:20 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

David Findlay wrote:
I've noted that they seem to load the payload into the shuttle at the pad
often. Why is this done there and not the VAB? Thanks,

ISTR this has been discussed before. Ah yes, a quick google finds a
post by Kim Keller, our own ex-pad rat (pad ex-rat?) at

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.space.shuttle/msg/
9b47cb3a9e22380b, which was a spacehab thread. Earlier in the
thread, he describes the facilities pertaining thereto.

/dps

Old July 3rd 07, 06:18 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Space Balls

So...I guess you don't just drive it up there, park it, and light the
sparklers off. kidding of course

I said it on another thread, but again, Fascinating. Yet, another example
of how complex this vehicle is and how these guy make it look easy. Great
info.

"snidely" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 3rd 07, 09:07 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

On Jul 2, 10:18 pm, "Space Balls" wrote:
So...I guess you don't just drive it up there, park it, and light the
sparklers off. kidding of course

Of course not ... you can't fly with finger prints on the fenders, you
have to get the shammy out for a quick cleanup!

/dps

Old July 4th 07, 05:04 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

"Space Balls" wrote:
I said it on another thread, but again, Fascinating. Yet, another example
of how complex this vehicle is and how these guy make it look easy.

Nope. It's a shining example of how primitive the vehicle design is.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old July 4th 07, 05:42 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Space Balls" wrote:
I said it on another thread, but again, Fascinating. Yet, another
example
of how complex this vehicle is and how these guy make it look easy.

Nope. It's a shining example of how primitive the vehicle design is.

Huh? Loading the payload at the pad is primitive?

Do explain Derek.

D.

Old July 4th 07, 04:48 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_3_]

On 4 Jul 2007 05:04:49 GMT, Clark wrote:

Huh? Loading the payload at the pad is primitive?

Do explain Derek.

No flexibility...

They've loaded in the OPF before. It's just more schedule-effective to
do it at the pad.

Brian
Old July 5th 07, 05:39 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

"Space Balls" wrote:
I said it on another thread, but again, Fascinating. Yet, another
example
of how complex this vehicle is and how these guy make it look easy.

Nope. It's a shining example of how primitive the vehicle design is.

Huh? Loading the payload at the pad is primitive?

Do explain Derek.

I wasn't commenting on loading at the pad - but SB's comment on the
pad rats job as described in the link provided by Snidely.

D.

Old July 5th 07, 07:20 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

On Jul 5, 9:39 am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
[...]
Yet, another example of how complex this vehicle is
Nope. It's a shining example of how primitive the vehicle design I wasn't commenting on loading at the pad - but SB's comment on the

pad rats job as described in the link provided by Snidely.

Primitive and complicated aren't antonyms. Indeed, there are many
examples (and examples may well be available on boomers) of primitive-
and-complicated being replaced by elegant-simplicity.

Not that anyone ever leaves elegant-simplicity alone, so -complicated
often re-enters the picture.

/dps

Old July 6th 07, 03:21 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Space Balls" wrote:
I said it on another thread, but again, Fascinating. Yet, another
example
of how complex this vehicle is and how these guy make it look easy.

Nope. It's a shining example of how primitive the vehicle design is.

Huh? Loading the payload at the pad is primitive?

Do explain Derek.

I wasn't commenting on loading at the pad - but SB's comment on the
pad rats job as described in the link provided by Snidely.

Ah gotcha. That makes more sense.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Why does SpaceX load the LOX first? richard schumacher Policy 3 February 17th 06 03:30 PM
RCS Load Simulators LaDonna Wyss History 84 July 9th 04 06:41 PM
Electrical Load Simulators John Maxson History 42 July 9th 04 05:11 AM
SS1 propellant load Ian Policy 42 July 7th 04 02:12 PM
Extra load on an LX200 (how much?) Michael Kreuzer CCD Imaging 6 November 26th 03 01:36 AM