ASTRO: Crab in [NII] = Red, Ha = Green, [OIII] = Blue

Old November 26th 06, 06:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Crab in [NII] = Red, Ha = Green, [OIII] = Blue

just a short exposure from Sat night before the clouds shut me down

then there's the [NII] = Red, Ha = Green = Blue shot too, showing that I can
separate those lines that are only 2nm apart

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n2hao3.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	168  Click image for larger version

Name:	n2haha.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	169
Old November 27th 06, 01:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Cool Richard... looks quite different in narrow band.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
. net...

Old November 29th 06, 02:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote
just a short exposure from Sat night before the clouds shut me down

then there's the [NII] = Red, Ha = Green = Blue shot too, showing that I
can separate those lines that are only 2nm apart

Cool image of the Crab! This completely separates out the turbulent material
by eliminating the blue synchrotron radiation.

George N

Old November 29th 06, 06:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

here is the synchrotron making it through in the HeII filter

this is Red=[SII], Green = [OIII] and Blue = HeliumII (468nm line)

according to a spectrogram in Simon Mitton's book "The Crab Nebula", there
is in fact Helium II emission in the Crab

"George Normandin" wrote in message
"Richard Crisp" wrote
just a short exposure from Sat night before the clouds shut me down

then there's the [NII] = Red, Ha = Green = Blue shot too, showing that I
can separate those lines that are only 2nm apart

Cool image of the Crab! This completely separates out the turbulent
material
by eliminating the blue synchrotron radiation.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s2o3he2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	186  Click image for larger version

Name:	crab_spectrum.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	187
Old December 1st 06, 06:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote
here is the synchrotron making it through in the HeII filter

this is Red=[SII], Green = [OIII] and Blue = HeliumII (468nm line)

according to a spectrogram in Simon Mitton's book "The Crab Nebula", there
is in fact Helium II emission in the Crab

Richard,

Interesting. Stripping both electrons off He is starting to get into
some "serious" energy, but then we are talking a supernova remnant!

George N.

Old December 1st 06, 06:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

helium II is singly ionized, George.

To be doubly ionized it would be called Helium III

There's no Helium IV though!

Turns out that Helium II 468 line is a very special line found only in the
vicinity of very hot sources of energy

You can turn up a lot of interesting information about Helium II 468 with a
good search engine

Old December 3rd 06, 06:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Richard Crisp" wrote
helium II is singly ionized, George.

Right....... not enough sleep.........