Arecibo telescope to be demolished

Old November 20th 20, 03:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default Arecibo telescope to be demolished

It is sad that the Arecibo telescope will soon be demolished. I
understand that it is the right thing to do given the dangerous state in
which it is. Still, it is sad to lose such an instrument.

Alain Fournier
Old November 20th 20, 08:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Remember when Alain Fournier bragged outrageously? That was Thursday:
It is sad that the Arecibo telescope will soon be demolished. I understand
that it is the right thing to do given the dangerous state in which it is.
Still, it is sad to lose such an instrument.

Yes.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.
Old November 20th 20, 09:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_3_]

On 20-Nov-20 1:38 pm, Alain Fournier wrote:
It is sad that the Arecibo telescope will soon be demolished. I
understand that it is the right thing to do given the dangerous state in
which it is. Still, it is sad to lose such an instrument.

Alain Fournier

It seems they cannot find a safe way to repair it, and are uncertain
about its integrity given that a cable appears to have failed at well
under its theoretical strength.

But it was built once. It could be built again.

Sylvia.
Old November 20th 20, 11:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

On Friday or thereabouts, Sylvia Else declared ...

But it was built once. It could be built again.

Ha ha.

"But despite a long history of scientific contributions, the
observatory has been struggling for funding for over a decade"

URL:https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/11/famed-arecibo-observatory-to-be-decommissioned-in-wake-of-cable-breaks/

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the
Old November 21st 20, 01:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Alain Fournier writes:

It is sad that the Arecibo telescope will soon be demolished. I understand
that it is the right thing to do given the dangerous state in which it
is. Still, it is sad to lose such an instrument.

Alain Fournier

Radio astronomers make for bad civil engineers appearently. It was just
a few short months ago that we were reading that new cables would be installed
in an attempt to repair the telescope. Now with an additional cable
break it has become too unstable to safely repair. But this is
deterioration over time. You can't tell me it was impossible to to spot
these issues well enough in advance to have not waited until it was too
late. So much for science in the public interest. Has it become the case
that this telescope has actually outlived its usefulness and no one was
willing to point out the emperor has no clothes? From what I can see, it
was already a wasting asset and must have been for years.

Dave
Old November 21st 20, 02:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_3_]

On 21-Nov-20 11:14 am, David Spain wrote:
Alain Fournier writes:

[...]

What makes you think the radio astronomers were involved in the civil
engineering assessments?

Sylvia.
Old November 21st 20, 03:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

David Spain scribbled something on Friday the 11/20/2020:
Alain Fournier writes:

[...]

Did you read the articles? It has had difficulty with funding for
years, and the will to upgrade it or replace it has been diverted into
newer and more capable instruments.

/dps

--
"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm
Old November 21st 20, 03:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Lo, on the 11/20/2020, David Spain did proclaim ...

Radio astronomers make for bad civil engineers appearently. It was just
a few short months ago that we were reading that new cables would be
installed in an attempt to repair the telescope. Now with an additional cable
break it has become too unstable to safely repair.

They hired three different consulting firms, and had new cables on
order. The last break was clearly at a load well below spec, which
means the other cables can't be trusted.

Please read more carefully.

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his
Old November 21st 20, 04:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Snidely writes:

Lo, on the 11/20/2020, David Spain did proclaim ...

Radio astronomers make for bad civil engineers appearently. It was just
a few short months ago that we were reading that new cables would be
installed in an attempt to repair the telescope. Now with an additional
cable
break it has become too unstable to safely repair.

They hired three different consulting firms, and had new cables on order. The
last break was clearly at a load well below spec, which means the other cables
can't be trusted.

Please read more carefully.

/dps

Read what? I've seen no cites. Did you post something earlier I may have
missed?

Dave
Old November 21st 20, 04:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

David Spain writes:

Snidely writes:
Lo, on the 11/20/2020, David Spain did proclaim ...

Radio astronomers make for bad civil engineers appearently. It was just
a few short months ago that we were reading that new cables would be
installed in an attempt to repair the telescope. Now with an additional
cable
break it has become too unstable to safely repair.

They hired three different consulting firms, and had new cables on order. The
last break was clearly at a load well below spec, which means the other cables
can't be trusted.

Please read more carefully.

/dps

Read what? I've seen no cites. Did you post something earlier I may have
missed?

Dave

Aha I did miss it, sorry:

Ha ha.

"But despite a long history of scientific contributions, the observatory has
been struggling for funding for over a decade"

URL:https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/11/famed-arecibo-observatory-to-be-decommissioned-in-wake-of-cable-breaks/

/dps

David