ASTRO: VII Zw 466 OK I'm getting obscure again but it's a doozy

Old March 23rd 12, 07:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: VII Zw 466 OK I'm getting obscure again but it's a doozy

VII Zw 466 is a ring galaxy about 650 million light-years away in the
tail of Draco. It is 4.6 minutes north of NGC 4613, another type of
ring galaxy. VII Zw 466 is what is called an "empty ring galaxy" since
it consists only of a ring with no core. These are thought to be due to
a direct hit by a high speed small but massive galaxy. Could it be one
of the three galaxies also named VII Zw 467 to its east. Two are known
to be at about the same redshift and likely distance. The third has no
redshift data that I could find. There is a reddish object in the
"empty" core of VII Zw 466 at the northwest edge. Could this be the
core of the galaxy or is it the colliding galaxy? It's position is the
one NED uses for VII Zw 466 itself rather than the center of the ring.
This could indicate NED considers it at least part of the galaxy. For
now I'll say it is most likely the remains of the galaxy's core.

I've noted the three VII Zw 467 galaxies on the annotated image. The
northern one had no redshift data. Also identified in the image is VII
Zw 468 at 630 million light-years. Several other galaxies at about this
same distance are noted in the annotated image.

Several UvES objects are noted in the annotated image. These are likely
quasars. There identification is by photographic means, not as accurate
as using a spectrograph. Distance is less certain as well.

NGC 4513 is much closer at 110 million light years. It has an
interesting mostly disconnected faint diffuse ring. It is classed as
(R)SA0^0^ at NED and S0 at the NGC project.

To the right of center is a blue object at 2.3 billion light-years. NED
shows it both as a galaxy and a quasar so it got a double label G/Q.
It's also an IR source, 2MASX J12302215+6621551.

There's an interesting pair of galaxies to the southwest of NGC 4513
beyond a bright orange star. Only the right member has a redshift
measurement. That puts it at the same distance as the VII Zw galaxies.
Are the two really close together or is this a line of sight
coincidence? Neither look distorted so I'll say they aren't close
enough to interact. Mostly a guess on my part.

To the east of NGC 4513 I was sure I saw two galaxy clusters but while
NED shows the galaxies individually, none with red shift data, it shows
no galaxy cluster at those two locations. I've marked them with GC?
The upper left one is very faint and looked like noise but it shows on
the Sloan image of the area. One is obviously a star in the Sloan's
higher resolution but the rest appear to be galaxies. Same for the
brighter group. I seem to have need for a slightly larger image area as
several clusters were listed just barely beyond my field on all sides.
One appears to have some of its galaxies in the frame so I marked it
with a line going off frame. The center is 19 seconds of arc north of
the frame's edge. It is WHL J123106.8+663229 at 2.3 billion
light-years. Look along the top, right of center.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VII_ZW_466L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	4010  Click image for larger version

Name:	VII_ZW_466L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	4011  Click image for larger version

Name:	VII_ZW_466L4X10RGB2X10X3CROP150.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	4012
Old April 23rd 12, 09:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Mighty image Rick.
The small ring galaxy is really spectacular.

Stefan

. com...