ASTRO: Redo of NGC 3626 with better blue data

Old May 4th 07, 02:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Redo of NGC 3626 with better blue data

Blue frames were through clouds when I posted this the first time.
These are through moonlight but still gave me far better color balance.
I also reprocessed the luminosity frames for a bit more detail in the
dust lane. Only the blue frames were new exposures.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=8x5' RGB=2x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3628LUM8X5RGB2X10R1.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	802
Old May 4th 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

That is a fine image Rick.. Color looks good on my screen and a lot less
noise now.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old May 4th 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:

That is a fine image Rick.. Color looks good on my screen and a lot less
noise now.

I had pushed the lum frame a bit too far in the first version making the
noise in the blue frames come through. With the moon out, the retake
was still noisy but much less than before. With a bit less push on the
luminosity frames the background noise vanished. I've still got a lot
to learn about processing these! Each time I learn something I forget
something I learned a month ago.

I'm currently having fits with two I took while sleeping. In both the
blue frames are very weak and I don't know why. I may have to redo
those blue frames as well, if the rainless clouds ever leave. The
forecast is for just clouds for the next 5 days. We need rain and lots
of it. For that I'll gladly give up imaging but for just clouds it's
frustrating.

Rick

Old May 4th 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Yea.. I was on PSK-31 with a guy in Grand Rapids last night and he was
saying how dry it was up north.. We had a 36 hour rain early this week and
did a lot of good... maybe 2.5" or so... Kind of clear last night but ground
level humidity was very high. Hope it improves now that the moon will be
moving out of the picture... I guess that is some kind of weak pun.

Old May 4th 07, 07:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:
Yea.. I was on PSK-31 with a guy in Grand Rapids last night and he was
saying how dry it was up north.. We had a 36 hour rain early this week and
did a lot of good... maybe 2.5" or so... Kind of clear last night but ground
level humidity was very high. Hope it improves now that the moon will be
moving out of the picture... I guess that is some kind of weak pun.

Back in the 70's I did a lot of RTTY work being one of the first to go
digital before computers. I ran a teletype picture net for years using
a digital tape system of my own design that would hold about 20 hours of
data on a one hour cassette that could be addressed and edited much as
you edit a hard drive file today yet was on tape. Ran at 1760 baud
which was down converted to 45.45 or whatever you wanted, ascii or
baudot. When Apple's computer came out using 300 baud tape that
couldn't be edited, nor random access parts of a file yet was hailed as
a breakthrough in data storage I had to laugh. I'd been using my fully
addressable system for several years using an unmodified $20 York tape
recorder and no computer, but lots of TTL chips.

Anyway I got out of that by the early 80's when computers took over. I
much preferred the mechanical machines like my Model 28. Had to sell
all that when I moved up here. I would never use it again but selling
it still hurts.

I've not even looked into PSK-31. Great for bandwidth but slow. I
could easily type at 100 WPM on my old model 28 so it would seem awfully
slow to me. I still type that fast, that's why I run on so much, but the
brain no longer seems to keep up! Once I get my tower moved (that's
this Saturday) and the station set up I might look into it. Easy and
cheap mode to play with.

Rick

Old May 4th 07, 09:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

I hope you do.. I find a large number of "Old Hands" on PSK and it is fun to
chat about those early days of RTTY and the ways guys made the equipment
work... Most ops do not type very fast so 31 cps is fine but you would be
free to type at high speed and then get a cup of coffee while the buffer
xmits... Anyway, on PSK you can run 125 cpm and I have seen some guys doing
that mode...

Most RTTY is of course also done with a soundcard or FSK using the tone
generators in the xceiver... My IC7000 will do FSK in fact.. So a TTY
clicking along is not heard too much any more... I had the pleasure of
installing one of the last TTY terminals (Take that either way) that Control
Data placed in service in Billings MT. I think it was late 1976... The
terminal just hooked to a phone line and printed cargo orders for a shipping
Co. that CDC was running a "network" for... I don't think anyone ever typed
on it! I got called to Billings a few times to clean it and other than that
it just ran and ran... The guy I showed how to put paper in to the terminal
left without training anyone else so I made the trip once just to show them
how to do it again... I was living in Idaho Falls at the time.

At CDC, we also used a TTY terminal to talk to the old CDC1700 system that
we used to test disk and other storage devices... would have been nice to
have your mag tape device as we used only punched tape to load programs...

Your tails of the days of mechanical RTTY would be a hit with the newer ops
I bet.

Old May 4th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

certainly one of the highlights in this group recently. I don't remember the
last version well enough to tell how much improved this one is, but it
definately is a fine picture.

Stefan

Old May 4th 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

It's on replayer at:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/7/1/6...7569617.3.jpeg

Rick

Old May 5th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Fabio wrote:
Amazaing picture Rick!!!

Thanks. But to me, it's your planetary shots that are amazing.

Rick

ASTRO: Crab in [NII] = Red, Ha = Green, [OIII] = Blue Richard Crisp Astro Pictures 7 December 3rd 06 06:01 AM
RFD: sci.astro.data Gabriel Prieto Research 0 May 9th 05 05:34 PM
ASTRO: Helix Nebula in Ha and [OIII] and Blue Richard Crisp CCD Imaging 0 August 20th 04 09:33 PM
Daily 3626 [email protected] Hubble 0 June 4th 04 09:39 PM
ASTRO: Ten hours of M27 in Ha, OIII and Blue Richard Crisp CCD Imaging 0 January 11th 04 04:41 PM