andromeda galaxy?

Old March 17th 04, 07:37 PM
aquablue

Default andromeda galaxy?

Have professionals been able to map this galaxy -- i.e. resolve individual
stars, and name them? Where can I find this?

Is it possible to see individual stars in other galaxies-resolve them?

alan

Old March 17th 04, 08:50 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"aquablue" wrote in
:

Have professionals been able to map this galaxy -- i.e. resolve
individual stars, and name them? Where can I find this?

Is it possible to see individual stars in other galaxies-resolve them?

alan

Supergiant stars such as Cepheid variables can be resolved in local group
galaxies. I don't know if there is an overall catalogue, try googling for
'Cepheid variable catalogue'. The first astronomer to succeed in showing
that the Andromeda galaxy was external to the Milky Way and contained stars
was none other than Edwin Hubble.

LK.

Old March 17th 04, 10:20 PM
aquablue

so, there is no star catalog or map like there is of the milky way?

"Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th" wrote in message
.6...
"aquablue" wrote in
:

Old March 17th 04, 10:41 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"aquablue" wrote in
:

so, there is no star catalog or map like there is of the milky way?

Did you try a google search?

LK.

Old March 17th 04, 11:09 PM
Ron Miller

"aquablue" wrote in message
so, there is no star catalog or map like there is of the milky way?

Take a look at a photograph of Andromeda and you will see one reason there
isn't a star map. The galaxy is seen at an angle, so that perspective (to
say nothing of the vast distance separating the Milky Way and Andromeda)
makes creating any sort of useful map all but impossible.

RM

Old March 17th 04, 11:35 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message ,
Ron Miller writes

"aquablue" wrote in message
so, there is no star catalog or map like there is of the milky way?

Take a look at a photograph of Andromeda and you will see one reason there
isn't a star map. The galaxy is seen at an angle, so that perspective (to
say nothing of the vast distance separating the Milky Way and Andromeda)
makes creating any sort of useful map all but impossible.

Though I think you will find maps or annotated photographs that show the
locations of globular clusters and bright star clouds such as NGC 206.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old March 18th 04, 09:10 AM
algomeysa2

"aquablue" wrote in message
so, there is no star catalog or map like there is of the milky way?

Keep in mind that there's no very comprehensive map of the Milky Way either.

Stars you see listed are pretty local to us; within a couple thousand light
years.

The Milky Way is some 70,000-100,000 light years across or so.

And our estimates to its size and shape are by no means definite; we can't
see much of it, being within it.

so, any charts or catalogs you see are more like a State directory, not the
country or world.....