A Video Tour of SpaceX Facility by Musk himself

Old June 3rd 12, 11:11 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy
jonathan[_11_]

Default A Video Tour of SpaceX Facility by Musk himself

It's good to be a billionaire~

This is a very nice tour of almost every key aspect
of constructing his new rockets. A most impressive
operation where almost every component is built
in-house. He appears to be gearing up for a very
ambitious expansion in both capability and volume.

When he claims he can put a man on Mars in
ten years, it's almost believable after watching
this video.

I wouldn't bet against this guy~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ6tZtGrShg

Old June 3rd 12, 11:55 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy
Andrew Swallow[_3_]

On 03/06/2012 23:11, jonathan wrote:
{snip}

When he claims he can put a man on Mars in
ten years, it's almost believable after watching
this video.

It took Musk 10 years to get a remote controlled capsule to the
International Space Station.

A related question is "Can modern NASA land a man on the Moon within 8
years?"

Andrew Swallow
Old June 4th 12, 12:47 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy
Catherine Jefferson

On 6/3/2012 3:11 PM, jonathan wrote:
It's good to be a billionaire~

This is a very nice tour of almost every key aspect
of constructing his new rockets. A most impressive
operation where almost every component is built
in-house. He appears to be gearing up for a very
ambitious expansion in both capability and volume.

When he claims he can put a man on Mars in
ten years, it's almost believable after watching
this video.

I wouldn't bet against this guy~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ6tZtGrShg

If SpaceX were a publicly traded company, I'd bet on him by purchasing
some stock. I've never been fond of sheer chance/gambling, but the sort
of betting that lets you support an endeavor that you approve of is a
whole different matter. That's the kind of betting where you have some
chance to affect the outcome. :-)

--
Catherine Jefferson
Blog/Personal: http://www.ergosphere.net
Old June 4th 12, 03:44 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy
jonathan[_11_]

"Catherine Jefferson" wrote in message
On 6/3/2012 3:11 PM, jonathan wrote:
It's good to be a billionaire~

This is a very nice tour of almost every key aspect
of constructing his new rockets. A most impressive
operation where almost every component is built
in-house. He appears to be gearing up for a very
ambitious expansion in both capability and volume.

When he claims he can put a man on Mars in
ten years, it's almost believable after watching
this video.

I wouldn't bet against this guy~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ6tZtGrShg

If SpaceX were a publicly traded company, I'd bet on him by purchasing
some stock. I've never been fond of sheer chance/gambling, but the sort
of betting that lets you support an endeavor that you approve of is a
whole different matter. That's the kind of betting where you have some
chance to affect the outcome. :-)

I didn't know he was so young, it appears to me
he's living his dream. Watching the video, and his often
awkward gestures, I couldn't help thinking he's the
space-age version of Howard Hughes.

Jonathan

Old June 4th 12, 03:47 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy
jonathan[_11_]

"Andrew Swallow" wrote in message
On 03/06/2012 23:11, jonathan wrote:
{snip}

When he claims he can put a man on Mars in
ten years, it's almost believable after watching
this video.

It took Musk 10 years to get a remote controlled capsule to the
International Space Station.

A related question is "Can modern NASA land a man on the Moon within 8
years?"

NASA isn't going to the Moon or Mars.

Andrew Swallow

Old June 4th 12, 02:05 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article ,
says...

On 03/06/2012 23:11, jonathan wrote:
{snip}

When he claims he can put a man on Mars in
ten years, it's almost believable after watching
this video.

It took Musk 10 years to get a remote controlled capsule to the
International Space Station.

Starting from scratch with a *very* limited budget (by NASA standards).

Note that they've achieved something very close to a requirement which
NASA had on its plate since the very beginnings of the Space Station
program. NASA needed a way to evacuate the station on short notice.
They never fully developed a vehicle capable of doing so and instead
have been relying on the Russians to keep building and flying Soyuz
capsules to ISS. Without Soyuz, ISS would not have a crew.

It would be interesting to add up all of the money spent on such NASA
vehicles which were never fully developed or flown. I have a feeling
that the total would be greater than the entire total sum of money that
SpaceX has spent so far on Falcon 9 and Dragon.

A related question is "Can modern NASA land a man on the Moon within 8
years?"

No. How long have they been working on their HLV and Orion? If SpaceX
had to start from scratch, letting NASA start from today's date would be
cheating.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old June 4th 12, 02:42 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy
Vaughn

On 6/3/2012 6:55 PM, Andrew Swallow wrote:
On 03/06/2012 23:11, jonathan wrote:
{snip}

When he claims he can put a man on Mars in
ten years, it's almost believable after watching
this video.

As I've said before, this man is starting to get my attention, and
starting to earn my admiration. Generations from now, I wouldn't be
shocked to find his name in a history text right next to my other
technological hero/industrialist, Thomas Edison.

It took Musk 10 years to get a remote controlled capsule to the
International Space Station.

How long would it take you to do the same job?

For comparison, from conception to docking how long did the European
Automated Transfer Vehicle take? (Remember, they just needed to create
the vehicle, they already had the rocket to launch it.)

This company designs, builds and tests it's own hardware starting with
bare metal. Other companies had a huge head start because they use
established rocket hardware and infrastructure yet still haven't managed
to beat SpaceX.

Vaughn
Old June 4th 12, 02:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 4/06/2012 8:11 AM, jonathan wrote:
It's good to be a billionaire~

**** off troll
Old June 4th 12, 02:53 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 4/06/2012 12:47 PM, jonathan wrote:

Lying troll