Best flocking paper source?

Old July 15th 03, 09:19 PM
Mark Ensley

Default Best flocking paper source?

I've found it available from Kendrick and Edmund Scientific.

Is there a difference between these two? Is there a better/cheaper
supplier that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!

-Mark Ensley
Old July 16th 03, 08:33 AM
Thad Floryan

"Tom Hole" wrote in message ...
"Mark Ensley" wrote in message
om...
I've found it available from Kendrick and Edmund Scientific.

Is there a difference between these two? Is there a better/cheaper
supplier that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!

I get mine from here. They are nice and fast. I flock everything with this
stuff with good results.

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flocked.htm

The Kendrick product is the FPI-ProtoStar product for Canadians ( shipping
and duty issues).
Old July 17th 03, 11:02 AM
Tom Hole

"Thad Floryan" wrote in message
om...
"Florian" wrote in message

I just bought two 9"x12" sheets of self-adhesive black felt at Walmart
for 87 cents each. I can't say how the quality compares to the other
sources however.

The proof will lie with whether the "fuzz" sheds or not under varying
weather conditions and temperature.

FWIW, the FPI-ProtoStar product does not shed and its adhesive seems to
improve with age as it "cures" (for want of a better term). I do not
know what its l-o-n-g term ruggedness will be -- time will tell. So far
I'm very pleased with the product.

I'll second that. The protostar paper in my XT10 has been going strong for
5 months now in wether that has ranged from bitter cold to raining dew.
Fantastic stuff. I looked at the felt/velvet route, but couldn't justify
the budget approach when the flocking paper was only going to cost $35
shipped to do my entire XT10 with enough left over to flock both my kids.
If you just do the upper and lower 15 inches like I did, you can get it done
for $25. Only costs twice as much to go first class

Clear skies,

Tom

Old July 18th 03, 07:59 PM
bwhiting

Just a guess here....how about stage background material
for the actors and sets, on stage? Especially those Edgar Allen Poe
and Alfred Hitchcock drama's? ;-)
Tom W.

(Mark Ensley) wrote in message . com...

I've found it available from Kendrick and Edmund Scientific.

Does anyone know what flocking paper is used for other than baffling
telescopes? Presumably the stuff is not produced solely for our
benefit.

The reason for my query was that it's not really practical for me to
order stuff from ProtoStar, Kendrick, McMaster-Carr for delivery to
Australia, the mailing costs become prohibitive. And the astro shops
here usually charge double or more the $A equivalent of US prices.

Understood. And for a similar reason (shipping costs) Kendrick distributes
the ProtoStar product in Canada.

What I'm really after is what the _major_ uses of flocking paper are,
so that I can get a handle on where to look for it eg art supply
shops. I can't believe that the demand from amateur astronomers even
in the US could justify a production run of the stuff, so it must have
other and much more widespread uses.

'Tis puzzling. I'm at a loss to conjure-up any other possible use for the
black flocking paper with the possible exception of lining the insides of
jewelry boxes.

Hmmm, you might want to do a Google search on "black flocking paper" or on
"black velvet" or "black velvet paper" and see what turns up.

Old July 20th 03, 12:53 AM
D Smallen

bwhiting wrote in message ...
Just a guess here....how about stage background material
for the actors and sets, on stage? Especially those Edgar Allen Poe
and Alfred Hitchcock drama's? ;-)
Tom W.

Try Science supply centers. Some labs use flocking for lite blocking in reasearch.

DL Smallen