Delivery Condition of XT-8

Old July 16th 03, 05:13 AM
Phil Wheeler

Default Delivery Condition of XT-8

Last month I ordered an XT-8 from Orion at the $349 price. Due to
travel, I delayed delivery. It arrived abt 7 pm today.

I opened the base box and found that at least two pieces have at least
cosmetic damage from the packaging foam. The upper base piece has a 2
inch white circle where the material surface has been raised, ans some
other, smaller cosmetic defects from the same source. One of the side
panels has a similar cosmetic stain.

Is this par for the course, or should I insist on a replacement base?

Phil

Old July 16th 03, 05:52 AM
Phil Wheeler

ypauls wrote:
Are you going to use it for astronomy (in the dark) or display?

A fair question.

I'm not sure at this point the damage is entirely cosmetic. The raised
area may ride on the az bearings. I've emailed photos to Orion Support.

Even so, if cosmetic only, eventual re-sale value could suffer.

I'm inclined to ask for a replacement, but only if my delivery condition
was abnormal .. which is the original question.

Phil

Old July 16th 03, 11:48 AM
Jon Isaacs

Until I have a rocker box, this great hulking box with the OTA in it
will be sitting in the dining room. That is real motivation to not wait
for a replacement!

Phil

In the long run I would to have them take care of the damage. Having a nice
looking scope is part of pleasure and every time I would look at the damage it
would be a bit of an irriation.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Ask them if they would ship the replacement parts immediately, your photos
should be sufficient to prove damage and the damage parts are only evidence
anyway at this point. You could put the new parts on your credit card, to be
credited when the damaged parts arrive at Orion.

2. Orion is pretty good about Email but better on the phone. Give a call and
see what you can work out.

3. I don't think you can turn the "upper base plate" over. The underside of
that plate provides the bearing surface for the azimuth axis and has a
different surface than the upper side.

4. Consider waiting until you can test it before shipping anything back. It
is possible that other damage occurred. Getting a new base only to discover
that something else was wrong which could only be seen when in use would be a
disappointment.

5. This is most likely Orion's baby to resolve. I think it is unlikely that
they unpacked the base and checked it over when the received it so whether the
damage occurred when the package was shipped to them or to you is unknown.

6. My guess is that this is the only damage and that your scope will work just
great.

Best wishes, dark skies and clear nights..

jon isaacs
Old July 16th 03, 02:21 PM
Al

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
Last month I ordered an XT-8 from Orion at the $349 price. Due to
travel, I delayed delivery. It arrived abt 7 pm today.

I opened the base box and found that at least two pieces have at least
cosmetic damage from the packaging foam. The upper base piece has a 2
inch white circle where the material surface has been raised, ans some
other, smaller cosmetic defects from the same source. One of the side
panels has a similar cosmetic stain.

Is this par for the course, or should I insist on a replacement base?

Phil

If you're not happy, just contact Orion and they will make it right.
Orion's policy in this industry is second to none. If necessary, they will
take back the telescope and ship you another. No, I don't work for Orion,
but I certainly admire their sales policy and believe that the other two
companies should adopt something similar.

Al

Old July 16th 03, 02:27 PM
Jim Miller

i've seen two delivered to friends and relatives. both were pristine. your
delivery doesn't match that. i'd get a replacement.

good luck

jtm

Old July 16th 03, 02:55 PM
Phil Wheeler

Jim Miller wrote:
i've seen two delivered to friends and relatives. both were pristine. your
delivery doesn't match that. i'd get a replacement.

Thanks for the input, Jim

Old July 16th 03, 04:56 PM
DrKartz

My XT8 arrived in perfect condition. Accept no less, Orion is very good about
doing it right for you.

David
Old July 16th 03, 06:31 PM
David

Phil,

You paid for a "new" scope, get Orion to replace it. Orion has good
customer service, I'm certain that they will do the right thing.

Willis