Mercury 4.5 for Orbiter released

Old August 28th 03, 03:55 AM
Robert Conley

Default Mercury 4.5 for Orbiter released

http://www.alltel.net/~estar/orbiter.html

Animated parachutes like the most recent gemini.
The Retrograde clock and timer.
Automatic calculation of retro time for three orbits.
Automatic calculation of retro time for orbit 1 and 2 if you choose to
abort early.
However my current math doesn't work real well for high inclination
orbits.
(Thank Duncan Sharpe for making this possible)

Better ASCS for holding orbital attitude. This means you can time
accel up to a 100x without killing your fuel. Apparently the real
mercury had two modes a high torque mode for just after turnaround and
retrofire, and a low torque mode for all other times.

Used Radu's OpenGL ADI ball to render a 3D Earth Globe.

More accurate coding of the sequencers take to the mercury
familization pdfs I have from Adam Bootle. Again thanks for such a
great donation!
The change is mostly that the light turn red 2 seconds before the
actual event and then turn green.

Also the real nasa manuals for mercury are at
sourceforge.net/projects/mscorbaddon/

The source code is in a separate file now along with all the bitmaps
used.

Earth 1962 2.0
Courtesy of John Graves the launch pads for the Mercury Redstone have
been added.

I want thank BigJimW for his testing and video.
The orbiter beta team for helping me with the math.
And to missleman01 and friend (sorry I forgot your name) to finding a
last minute problem that helped me a lot.

Source code avaliable for the model under the BSD liscense

Enjoy
Rob Conley

Pictures
http://www.toolcity.net/~estar/merc_redstone_pad.jpg
http://www.toolcity.net/~estar/merc_retro_clock.jpg
http://www.toolcity.net/~estar/merc_earth_globe.jpg
http://www.toolcity.net/~estar/merc_parachute.jpg
http://www.toolcity.net/~estar/merc_landing_bag.jpg

Old August 29th 03, 09:30 PM
adam bootle

Glad to have helped in some way Robert.

Adam

Old August 30th 03, 04:40 AM
Robert Conley

"adam bootle" wrote in message ...
Glad to have helped in some way Robert.

Let's just say your generosity is the key that will allow me to
complete both Mercury and Gemini.

The biggest gaps now are the specific details on the GATV (Gemini
Agena Target Vechile) particularly electrical, and attitude control. I
can't believe that the GATV is as underpowered as it appears to be on
my sim. But I used the best numbers I can find.

Also I have a copy of a detailed breakdown of the Gemini Computer that
doesn't correspond to anything in Gemini Familization Manual. So I
will keep a lookout for a copy of that manual. I believe there is one
specific to each spacecraft.

Again Thanks
Rob Conley