Daily Report #4730

Old November 4th 08, 04:32 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4730

DAILY REPORT****** #4730

PERIOD COVERED: 5am November 3 - 5am November 4, 2008 (DOY
*************************** 308/1000z-309/1000z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/SBC 11151

Evaluating the Role of Photoevaporation of Protoplanetary Disk
Dispersal

Emission produced by accretion onto the central star leads to
photoevaporation, which may play a fundamental role in disk dispersal.
Models of disk photoevaporation by the central star are challenged by
two potential problems: the emission produced by accretion will be
substantially weaker for low-mass stars, and photoevaporation must
continue as accretion slows. Existing FUV spectra of CTTSs are biased
to solar-mass stars with high accretion rates, and are therefore
insufficient to address these problems. We propose use HST/ACS SBC
PR130L to obtain FUV spectra of WTTSs and of CTTSs at low masses and
mass accretion rates to provide crucial data to evaluate
photoevaporation models. We will estimate the FUV and EUV luminosities
of low-mass CTTSs with small mass accretion rates, CTTSs with
transition disks and slowed accretion, and of magnetically-active
WTTSs.

ACS/SBC 11681

A Search for Ultraviolet Emission Filaments in Cool Core Clusters

We propose to use ACS SBC imaging to seek ultraviolet CIV emission
filaments in clusters of galaxies exhibiting strong cool-core X-ray
emission and optical line emission filaments. These short observations
are crafted to test thermal conduction models for the filament
excitation, and can significantly impact our understanding of the
overall physical processes dominant in the galaxy cluster ISM.

FGS 11212

Filling the Period Gap for Massive Binaries

The current census of binaries among the massive O-type stars is
seriously incomplete for systems in the period range from years to
millennia because the radial velocity variations are too small and the
angular separations too close for easy detection. Here we propose to
discover binaries in this observational gap through a Faint Guidance
Sensor SNAP survey of relatively bright targets listed in the Galactic
O Star Catalog. Our primary goal is to determine the binary frequency
among those in the cluster/association, field, and runaway groups. The
results will help us assess the role of binaries in massive star
formation and in the processes that lead to the ejection of massive
stars from their natal clusters. The program will also lead to the
identification of new, close binaries that will be targets of long
term spectroscopic and high angular resolution observations to
determine their masses and distances. The results will also be
important for the interpretation of the spectra of suspected and newly
identified binary and multiple systems.

WFPC2 11196

An Ultraviolet Survey of Luminous Infrared Galaxies in the Local
Universe

At luminosities above 10^11.4 L_sun, the space density of far-infrared
selected galaxies exceeds that of optically selected galaxies. These
Luminous Infrared Galaxies {LIRGs} are primarily interacting or
merging disk galaxies undergoing starbursts and creating/fueling
central AGN. We propose far {ACS/SBC/F140LP} and near {WFPC2/PC/F218W}
UV imaging of a sample of 27 galaxies drawn from the complete IRAS
Revised Bright Galaxy Sample {RBGS} LIRGs sample and known, from our
Cycle 14 B and I-band ACS imaging observations, to have significant
numbers of bright {23 B 21 mag} star clusters in the central 30
arcsec. The HST UV data will be combined with previously obtained HST,
Spitzer, and GALEX images to {i} calculate the ages of the clusters as
function of merger stage, {ii} measure the amount of UV light in
massive star clusters relative to diffuse regions of star formation,
{iii} assess the feasibility of using the UV slope to predict the
far-IR luminosity {and thus the star formation rate} both among and
within IR-luminous galaxies, and {iv} provide a much needed catalog of
rest- frame UV morphologies for comparison with rest-frame UV images
of high-z LIRGs and Lyman Break Galaxies. These observations will
achieve the resolution required to perform both detailed photometry of
compact structures and spatial correlations between UV and redder
wavelengths for a physical interpretation our IRX-Beta results. The
HST UV data, combined with the HST ACS, Spitzer, Chandra, and GALEX
observations of this sample, will result in the most comprehensive
study of luminous starburst galaxies to date.

WFPC2 11113

Binaries in the Kuiper Belt: Probes of Solar System Formation and
Evolution

The discovery of binaries in the Kuiper Belt and related small body
populations is powering a revolutionary step forward in the study of
this remote region. Three quarters of the known binaries in the Kuiper
Belt have been discovered with HST, most by our snapshot surveys. The
statistics derived from this work are beginning to yield surprising
and unexpected results. We have found a strong concentration of
binaries among low-inclination Classicals, a possible size cutoff to
binaries among the Centaurs, an apparent preference for nearly equal
mass binaries, and a strong increase in the number of binaries at
small separations. We propose to continue this successful program in
Cycle 16; we expect to discover at least 13 new binary systems,
targeted to subgroups where these discoveries can have the greatest
impact.

WFPC2 11218

Snapshot Survey for Planetary Nebulae in Globular Clusters of the
Local Group

Planetary nebulae {PNe} in globular clusters {GCs} raise a number of
interesting issues related to stellar and galactic evolution. The
number of PNe known in Milky Way GCs, 4, is surprisingly low if one
assumes that all stars pass through a PN stage. However, it is likely
that the remnants of stars now evolving in Galactic GCs leave the AGB
so slowly that any ejected nebula dissipates long before the star
becomes hot enough to ionize it. Thus there should not be ANY PNe in
Milky Way GCs--but there are four! It has been suggested that these
PNe are the result of mergers of binary stars within GCs, i.e., that
they are descendants of blue stragglers. The frequency of occurrence
of PNe in external galaxies poses more questions, because it shows a
range of almost an order of magnitude. I propose a Snapshot survey
aimed at discovering PNe in the GC systems of Local Group galaxies
more distant than the Magellanic Clouds. These clusters, some of which
may be much younger than their counterparts in the Milky Way, might
contain many more PNe than those of our own galaxy. I will use the
standard technique of emission-line and continuum imaging, which
easily discloses PNe.

WFPC2 11302

WFPC2 CYCLE 16 Standard Darks - Part III

This dark calibration program obtains dark frames every week in order
to provide data for the ongoing calibration of the CCD dark current
rate, and to monitor and characterize the evolution of hot pixels.
Over an extended period these data will also provide a monitor of
radiation damage to the CCDs.

WFPC2 11793

WFPC2 Cycle 16 Internal Monitor

This calibration proposal is the Cycle 15 routine internal monitor for
WFPC2, to be run weekly to monitor the health of the cameras. A
variety of internal exposures are obtained in order to provide a
monitor of the integrity of the CCD camera electronics in both bays
(both gain 7 and gain 15 -- to test stability of gains and bias
levels), a test for quantum efficiency in the CCDs, and a monitor for
possible buildup of contaminants on the CCD windows. These also
provide raw data for generating annual super-bias reference files for
the calibration pipeline.

WFPC2 11795

WFPC2 Cycle 16 UV Earth Flats

Monitor flat field stability. This proposal obtains sequences of earth
streak flats to improve the quality of pipeline flat fields for the
WFPC2 UV filter set. These Earth flats will complement the UV earth
flat data obtained during cycles 8-15.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

*********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver **** 28***************** 28

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report # 4422 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 9th 07 01:54 PM
Daily Report #4413 Bassford, Lynn Hubble 0 July 27th 07 02:14 PM
DAILY REPORT #3902 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:48 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM