CEV to be made commercially available

Old November 23rd 05, 02:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

Default CEV to be made commercially available

Scott Lowther wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:

I'll bet the typical US taxpayer could name more bajillionares than they
could astronauts.

Probably. But then, when was the last time an astronaut did something?

Well, the most famous astronauts ever were the First Seven, and a guy*
who finally showed up on the moon. Do you think Jay Leno's
"Streetwalking" segment would find anybody under 40 who could name
them? I'd bet even most of the 40-60 crowd would strike out.

*I think he was a Scottish Enforcer...Nall the Strong Arm. ISTR that
there was somebody else who went to the moon, too. ;-)

/dps

Old November 23rd 05, 02:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

On 22 Nov 2005 14:41:38 -0800, in a place far, far away,
" made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Those who can afford it
will do so and build the industry, and it doesn't matter what the rest
of them think.

WRONG. The point under discussion here was not whether the space
tourism industry will get going, but whether the voters will get bored
with ESAS.

They will. Well, actually, they won't, because it probably won't last
long enough for that to happen.
Old November 23rd 05, 02:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

On 22 Nov 2005 14:39:15 -0800, in a place far, far away,
" made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

What's need now is not an improvement in performance -
which comes from giant research programs - but improvements in cost,
reliability and maintainability... which comes from *experience.*

Which won't come from flying giant vehicles two or three times a year.

Really? Well, then perhaps we should fly the HLLV a dozen times per
year instead.

Yeah, *that* would be affordable...
Old November 23rd 05, 03:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

snidely wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Jeff Findley wrote:

I'll bet the typical US taxpayer could name more bajillionares than they
could astronauts.

Probably. But then, when was the last time an astronaut did something?

Well, the most famous astronauts ever were the First Seven, and a guy*
who finally showed up on the moon. Do you think Jay Leno's
"Streetwalking" segment would find anybody under 40 who could name
them?

Probably not. But then, ask them who the ten richest guys in the world
were in 1969. I'll bett you'll do worse.

--
"The only thing that galls me about someone burning the American flag is how unoriginal it is. I mean if you're going to pull the Freedom-of-speech card, don't be a hack, come up with something interesting. Fashion Old Glory into a wisecracking puppet and blister the system with a scathing ventriloquism act, or better yet, drape the flag over your head and desecrate it with a large caliber bullet hole." Dennis Miller
Old November 23rd 05, 03:27 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 03:13:36 GMT, Scott Lowther
wrote:

Probably not. But then, ask them who the ten richest guys in the world
were in 1969. I'll bett you'll do worse.

....Easier than you think. 9 of them were Howard Hughes, the other was
Jed Clampett :-)

OM
--
]=======================================[
OMBlog - http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld
Old November 23rd 05, 03:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:24:22 -0600, in a place far, far away, "Jorge
R. Frank" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Pete Lynn wrote:
We have to
reasonably estimate a dollar value for this intangible wealth return if
we are to make rational investment decisions.

Really? What's the dollar value of the return from, say, the NEA

If you mean National Education Association, it's a net negative.

He could mean the National Endowment for the Arts (the answer is the same,
IMO).

Yup.
Old November 23rd 05, 03:36 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:54:23 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Probably. But then, when was the last time an astronaut did something?

http://www.csicop.org/articles/20021018-aldrin/

....And a noble act without question that needs to be repeated upon
similar targets at every opportunity!

OM
--
]=======================================[
Old November 23rd 05, 04:02 AM posted to sci.space.history

OM wrote:

...And a noble act without question that needs to be repeated upon
similar targets at every opportunity!

Notice he hit him _left-handed_; is Buzz a southpaw?

Pat
Old November 23rd 05, 04:59 AM posted to sci.space.history

wrote:

Probably not. But then, ask them who the ten richest guys in the world
were in 1969. I'll bett you'll do worse.

...Easier than you think. 9 of them were Howard Hughes, the other was
Jed Clampett :-)

Howard who? Jed what? Remember... we're talking about the under 20 crowd
*today.* Lucky if they know who the President is. Three cheers for the
publik edumacation system.

Old November 23rd 05, 06:18 AM posted to sci.space.history

Scott Lowther wrote:
[...]
Howard who? Jed what? Remember... we're talking about the under 20 crowd
*today.* Lucky if they know who the President is.

Sure they do, Condoleeza Rice.

But while we're on about reading comprehension, I specified under 40,
not under 20.

And I wasn't to optimistic about over 40, either.

/dps