The Answer to the Ultimate Question

Old May 22nd 10, 01:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Default The Answer to the Ultimate Question

On 5/22/2010 12:21 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:

Its a bit like the stupidity of Google and their pacman with no worning so
one cannot use the page if you are blind as it covers up the speech!

Hadn't thought of that problem; it's only going to be doing that for the
weekend though.
And may I suggest to you Mr. Gaff, a deep contemplation of the Karmic
insights that one might achieve from the appalling creation of
artificial life a few days ago, as considered by the really strange
Hindu/Science spam I keep getting, and quote he
"You received this message because you are subscribed to the
"Transcendental Nectar of Sadhu-Sanga" e-group."
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Bhakti Madhava Puri
wrote:
If you replace the OEM hard drive in a computer with another hard drive,
you have not come a single step closer to creating a computer. To put an
artificial heart in a living patient is not to have created that
patient. As the article states clearly and without hype:
"Still, he and others emphasize that this work didn't create a truly
synthetic life form, because the genome was put into an existing cell."
Life comes from life. This is the invioable scientific principle of
reality. Therefore, it will never be possible to create life from a mere
combination of lifless chemicals. One who can understand this has
comprehended the categorical difference between life and matter which
has been known since antiquity. Only the modern materialistic mind set
has been unable to grasp this profound distinction. Unfortunately,
modern scientists have not progressed in wisdom, but regressed by
obscuring their own ability to understand the self. It is gradually
being realized that human life is slowly being destroyed by chemistry
that pollutes the earth, water, air and food that sustains all life.
What kind of civilzation pollutes its own bed, and then calls itself
advanced?
Studies have revealed that everyone on earth now has some synthetic
materials incorporated within their own bodies. What can we now look
forward to? Better life through chemistry for many now means autistic
children, diabetes, cancer, frail heartedness, and a senior life of
dementia..Therefore, there is no need to create new life forms. They
have already done it. Are you proud of their results?
Some sanity has to be brought back to science. We have recommended a
scientific critique of science. No longer is science be blindly and
dogmatically accepted and propagated. A self critical attitude
adjustment is needed. An alignment with an equally self critical
religion is required to create a harmonious existence raised to self
conscoiusness, or self determination. This is the message of
Bhagavad-gita for those who have the courage to embrace it."
You just think about that Mr. Gaff till Monday, as there are obviously
things going on in this world that make that Google Pac-Man game look
like a hill of beans by comparison. :-)

Pat

Old May 22nd 10, 01:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1007_]

Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it just me that thinks just links are very rude ways to ask
things on Usenet? Given the problems with spam, trojans etc,
clicking a link with no idea what it might be seems to me to be
foolhardy at the least, and lazy and rude at the most.

To a point, I agree. (in fact I just rejected a post to ssm for being JUST a
URL. It didn't even have an semi-obscure lead-in like mine.)

I think to a point to it depends on the poster. If it's someone you've
never heard of, yeah, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

If it's a post by Pat, I'm going to make sure I'm wearing at least a Tyvek
suit and goggles.

That said, I wanted a LITTLE mystery on this URL.

And come on, this IS one of the top questions astronauts get asked. ;-)

OK so its probably safe, but I always try to at least put some
indication of the links content as well as one has to otherwise
listen to some daft lsoundtrack or quite often, a clip with no sound
and wonder what that was all about if you cannot see.

Its a bit like the stupidity of Google and their pacman with no
worning so one cannot use the page if you are blind as it covers up
the speech!
Brian

No, NOT 42.

This is far more important!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wwzwvfsC0

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old May 22nd 10, 02:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
David Spain

Pat Flannery wrote:
I could never get over the impression that the Shuttle toilet looked
like you were crapping on the hood of a Volkswagen.
The fact that there were literally blades whirling around under your ass
was foreboding also, and this video shows that in addition to that there
was a floodlight illuminating your anus from inside the toilet.
It's like some sort of warped Freudian dream regarding being _really_
anally fixated being brought into horrible reality. :-D

I read this graphic description of the outline and workings of the shuttle
toilet and could only think that since the ISS treadmill is already
named after Steven Colbert, perhaps (with only a few missions left) it
wouldn't be too disrespectful to name the shuttle toilet after Franz Kafka.

;-)

Dave

BTW: Isn't the light only on the non-functional mockup used for 'alignment'
testing? But I'm thinking this rig could have home medicinal value as well or
something a proctologist would want to have in their office. Yet another space
tech spin-off....
Old May 22nd 10, 02:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
BTW: Isn't the light only on the non-functional mockup used for
'alignment' testing? But I'm thinking this rig could have home medicinal
value as well or something a proctologist would want to have in their
office. Yet another space tech spin-off....

While I'm thinking of it, the way things are getting to be at airports these
days, I'm sure this device would be of interest to the TSA as well....

:-o

Dave
Old May 22nd 10, 05:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jorge R. Frank

On 05/22/2010 08:15 AM, David Spain wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

I could never get over the impression that the Shuttle toilet looked
like you were crapping on the hood of a Volkswagen.
The fact that there were literally blades whirling around under your
ass was foreboding also, and this video shows that in addition to that
there was a floodlight illuminating your anus from inside the toilet.

BTW: Isn't the light only on the non-functional mockup used for
'alignment' testing?

That's correct. The camera is only on the positional trainer as well.
The real toilet has neither.
Old May 22nd 10, 11:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

On 5/22/2010 4:32 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

I think to a point to it depends on the poster. If it's someone you've
never heard of, yeah, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

If it's a post by Pat, I'm going to make sure I'm wearing at least a Tyvek
suit and goggles.

Hey, I hardly ever post dirty things.
(Hell, one link to those photos of Dinah Manoff sitting on that toilet
in her bra...showing those gorgeous knockers...and I'm branded as some
of a smut lord.)
And what's all this about Polish citizens suffering from gigantism?
What has Poland done to you that deserves your heaping disdain upon the
sufferers of Acromegaly in that country? :-)

Pat
Old May 22nd 10, 11:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

On 5/22/2010 5:15 AM, David Spain wrote:

BTW: Isn't the light only on the non-functional mockup used for
'alignment' testing? But I'm thinking this rig could have home medicinal
value as well or something a proctologist would want to have in their
office. Yet another space tech spin-off....

I think that light is in there so that NASA can film the astronaut's
rears as they poop, and later run those videos at their drunken New
Years party for a cheap laugh.
Just two days ago, Glenn Beck said he suspected that Obama had the same
sort of set-up in the White House toilets, and that is why God has
punished the US with that oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
If the President thinks that seeing brown stuff in water is fun, God
would give him a opportunity to see _lots_ of brown stuff in water. ;-)

Pat

Old May 22nd 10, 11:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

On 5/22/2010 8:12 AM, Jorge R. Frank wrote:

That's correct. The camera is only on the positional trainer as well.
The real toilet has neither.

Yeah, that's what they say...but some of us know better, Mr. NASA cheap
laugh.
Buzz Aldrin is going to blow this whole thing wide open one of these
days. ;-)

Pat

Old May 23rd 10, 12:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1010_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
On 5/22/2010 8:12 AM, Jorge R. Frank wrote:

That's correct. The camera is only on the positional trainer as well.
The real toilet has neither.

Yeah, that's what they say...but some of us know better, Mr. NASA
cheap laugh.
Buzz Aldrin is going to blow this whole thing wide open one of these
days. ;-)

Sing it brother. He'll blow it wide open right after hitting Rancho
Supremo's Burrito Special sale on the way to JSC.

Pat

Old May 23rd 10, 02:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
David Spain

Pat Flannery wrote:
On 5/22/2010 8:12 AM, Jorge R. Frank wrote:
That's correct. The camera is only on the positional trainer as well.
The real toilet has neither.

Yeah, that's what they say...but some of us know better, Mr. NASA cheap
laugh.
Buzz Aldrin is going to blow this whole thing wide open one of these
days. ;-)

Pat

There are limits to just how much space trivia video I'm willing to purchase
on DVD or welcome as a Xmas gift. And this is one of them, sorry Buzz....

:-)

Dave