Looking to buy a "decent" refractor telescope for under $400

Old April 11th 04, 09:13 PM
Fee Fillers

Default Looking to buy a "decent" refractor telescope for under $400

I am looking for a decent refractor telescope for under $400 to go
along with my Meade ETX90EC. I want it for quick viewing of the moon
and planets. I was wondering whats is a good one for the price of 400
or below. I would like it to have goto capability but its not
required. I found these two, The Meade DS-80AT Telescope, but it has
..965 eyepices. the Meade DS-2070AT has 1.25 eyepices. but cost a
little more. I only using meade has an example, its the brand im used
to, I open to any brand if they are worth the price? Any suggestions
will be appreciated. Thanks for you help!
Old April 11th 04, 09:19 PM
Francis Marion

Speaking only for myself, I've found that the Orion Refractors deliver a
"decent image" for the money your looking to spend..

Check them out at:
http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?it...Type=HOME_PAGE

I don't work for and am in no way associated with them other that being a
happy customer.

Clear Skies,
F Marion

Old April 11th 04, 09:31 PM
Fee Fillers

Nice I really like

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/pr...iProductID=291

Old April 11th 04, 09:42 PM
Chuck

I'd buy the N80GT, then sell the OTA and your ETX and replace the OTA with
Orion 80ED. You should be able to do all of that for close to $400.00 and
have one hell of an upgrade ...

--

Clear Skies,

Chuck

m...

Old April 11th 04, 09:54 PM
Reef1969

I am not anti small refractor, but you already have a 90mm scope. What are you
looking to gain by purchasing an 80mm scope? For $400 you can get a decent 8"
Dob, or a 6" Dob, which would be a nice companion for a 90mm scope.

Clear Skies
Richard

Old April 12th 04, 01:58 AM
Jerome Bigge

On 11 Apr 2004 13:13:37 -0700, (Fee Fillers)
wrote:

I am looking for a decent refractor telescope for under $400 to go
along with my Meade ETX90EC. I want it for quick viewing of the moon
and planets. I was wondering whats is a good one for the price of 400
or below. I would like it to have goto capability but its not
required. I found these two, The Meade DS-80AT Telescope, but it has
.965 eyepices. the Meade DS-2070AT has 1.25 eyepices. but cost a
little more. I only using meade has an example, its the brand im used
to, I open to any brand if they are worth the price? Any suggestions
will be appreciated. Thanks for you help!

Orion (
www.telescope.com) offers a 90mm F10 refractor
on an EQ-2 mount for $299. This takes the standard 1.25"
size eye pieces. They also offer a right ascension drive
for the mount so that the scope will "track" once it has
been polar aligned. Celestron offers a "First Scope 80"
on an equatorial mount for a bit less (depending upon
where you look). I'm sure there is a motor drive for
this model. Meade probably has a counterpart to
the Celestron and Orion. You don't need "go to"
for the Moon or the "visible" planets which I'm
assuming is where your interest lies. But having
tracking ability is a true pleasure as you can sit
behind your telescope and enjoy the view without
constantly having to "nudge" the telescope all the time.

For something really "portable" consider the Orion
Observer 70. Total weight on alt-az tripod is 6.5#
Mine has excellent optics and the price is certainly
right at $129. The "short tube" refractors are made
as "jacks of all trades" and won't match a long tube
refractor when it comes to using high power. They
also have problems with "false color" which lowers
contrast, something you don't want on the planets.

Something to think about... The Orion 80ED takes
a set of 100mm tube rings, just as does my Celestron
102 F5. Celestron makes a goto combo that uses this
telescope. I don't think it's out yet, but it is listed on
their site. Buy this combo, sell the Meade ETX and
the Celestron 102 F5 on Astromart, buy the 80ED
from Orion, and you'd have a great combination!
You'd have "go to", but with a refractor capable
of power ranges from 15x to probably about 200x.

Jerome Bigge

Member of Muskegon Astronomical Society.
Author of the Warlady & Wartime series of SF
novels at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge