The Dream Chaser spacecraft has completed a successful free flight

Old November 13th 17, 03:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default The Dream Chaser spacecraft has completed a successful free flight

"On Saturday, the Dream Chaser space plane completed a milestone in its
development. During an “approach and landing” test, the spacecraft was dropped
from a helicopter to fly back to a landing strip at Edwards Air Force Base in
California. The company behind the space plane confirmed the successful test in a
tweet on Saturday night, saying, “The Dream Chaser had a beautiful flight and
landing!”"

See:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...l-free-flight/

=============================

And now for the bad news.

=============================

Suborbital Spaceplane company XCOR files for bankruptcy:

"Xcor was making a suborbital reusable launch vehicle (a suborbital spaceplane).

XCOR filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy Wednesday in the Eastern District of
California.

Money dried up for XCOR after its subcontract with United Launch Alliance wasn’t
renewed this year. In 2016, XCOR began development on the full scale 25k lbf
thrust liquid hydrogen engine, the 8H21, under a privately funded contract with
ULA."

See:

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/1...ankruptcy.html

Old November 13th 17, 12:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

"On Saturday, the Dream Chaser space plane completed a milestone in its
development. During an ?approach and landing? test, the spacecraft was dropped
from a helicopter to fly back to a landing strip at Edwards Air Force Base in
California. The company behind the space plane confirmed the successful test in a
tweet on Saturday night, saying, ?The Dream Chaser had a beautiful flight and
landing!?"

See:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...l-free-flight/

I can't help but feel like Dream Chaser is a day late and a dollar
short. They completed a successful free flight test on the same day
that Orbital ATK was launching yet another Cygnus resupply craft to ISS.

https://www.space.com/38751-orbital-...station-cargo-
launch-crs8.html

Yesterday's launch marks the eighth Cygnus to be sent to ISS.

SpaceX has launched 12 Dragon resupply flights to ISS (not counting the
two test flights).

=============================

And now for the bad news.

=============================

Suborbital Spaceplane company XCOR files for bankruptcy:

"Xcor was making a suborbital reusable launch vehicle (a suborbital spaceplane).

XCOR filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy Wednesday in the Eastern District of
California.

Money dried up for XCOR after its subcontract with United Launch Alliance wasn?t
renewed this year. In 2016, XCOR began development on the full scale 25k lbf
thrust liquid hydrogen engine, the 8H21, under a privately funded contract with
ULA."

See:

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/1...ankruptcy.html

Sad news for XCOR. But I always had the feeling that they were a bunch
of engineers that didn't quite know how to put together a business plan.
But that was my opinion based on what I've read as I have had no direct
contact with anyone from XCOR.

There is a brief discussion of the XCOR bankruptcy on ARocket with more
knowledgeable people than I shedding a bit of light on the event.

Jeff

Old November 13th 17, 03:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 11/13/2017 6:30 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

There is a brief discussion of the XCOR bankruptcy on ARocket with more
knowledgeable people than I shedding a bit of light on the event.

Jeff

With some interesting speculation about who will be around to pick up
the XCOR IP (which is mainly the Lynx Engine) at Chapter 7 auction.

What is peculiar is that ULA showed some interest in Lynx and then
essentially walked away from XCOR rather than offering a buyout which
would have guaranteed their ownership of all IP.

Based on their past actions, I can't believe ULA will be a bidder at
auction, makes no sense.

Sierra Nevada would be an interesting bidder but I doubt they have the
pockets for it if another bidder is serious.

I expect SpaceX to take a pass...

Dave
Old November 13th 17, 10:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

On 11/13/2017 6:30 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

There is a brief discussion of the XCOR bankruptcy on ARocket with more
knowledgeable people than I shedding a bit of light on the event.

With some interesting speculation about who will be around to pick up
the XCOR IP (which is mainly the Lynx Engine) at Chapter 7 auction.

What is peculiar is that ULA showed some interest in Lynx and then
essentially walked away from XCOR rather than offering a buyout which
would have guaranteed their ownership of all IP.

ULA is having trouble of their own. They've "streamlined" operations,
which meant layoffs. They are also furiously working on Vulcan to
replace both Atlas V and Delta IV in order to remain competitive on
price.

Based on their past actions, I can't believe ULA will be a bidder at
auction, makes no sense.

Sierra Nevada would be an interesting bidder but I doubt they have the
pockets for it if another bidder is serious.

Agreed. If Sierra Nevada had deeper pockets, Dream Chaser would be
further along than it is today.

I expect SpaceX to take a pass...

Same. I don't see SpaceX needing any of XCOR's IP.

Perhaps Aerojet, just to prevent any useful IP from making its way to a
competitor.

Jeff