ASTRO: Stellafane people: Norman F and his scopes

Old September 5th 07, 02:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Stellafane people: Norman F and his scopes

Here's the start of some pictures of people at Stellafane 2007.

The guy in the center is Norman Fullum of Hudson Canada, along with two of
his latest telescope "creations". A few years ago Norman won "everything" at
Stellafane because of his unique "artistic" style of telescopes. Norman also
makes his own mirrors. Last year I had a chance to put my bino-viewer on one
to observe the sun it the view was great! More recently he has "turned pro"
selling his scopes, so he can no longer enter them into the Stellafane ATM
contest. Norman and his scopes at Stellafane 2006 will (apparently) be
featured in the NPR TV special "Seeing in the Dark"
(http://www.pbs.org/seeinginthedark/) to be shown in a few weeks.

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norman F.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	550.5 KB
ID:	1172
Old September 5th 07, 07:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jerry warner[_8_]

George these are very interesting posts, especially for those of
us who will never be at Stellafane, sadly.. Thanks!
Jerry

George Normandin wrote:

Here's the start of some pictures of people at Stellafane 2007.

The guy in the center is Norman Fullum of Hudson Canada, along with two of
his latest telescope "creations". A few years ago Norman won "everything" at
Stellafane because of his unique "artistic" style of telescopes. Norman also
makes his own mirrors. Last year I had a chance to put my bino-viewer on one
to observe the sun it the view was great! More recently he has "turned pro"
selling his scopes, so he can no longer enter them into the Stellafane ATM
contest. Norman and his scopes at Stellafane 2006 will (apparently) be
featured in the NPR TV special "Seeing in the Dark"
(http://www.pbs.org/seeinginthedark/) to be shown in a few weeks.

George N

[Image]

Old September 6th 07, 03:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Aidan Karley[_2_]

In article ,
George Normandin wrote:
The guy in the center is Norman Fullum of Hudson Canada, along with two of
his latest telescope "creations".

Looks like he likes his woodwork!
Telescopes as modern art, or as bits of living-space decoration for
the visitors to talk about. Interesting idea. I think that Newton would
somehow have approved : [ image http://www.newton.cam.ac.uk/telescope.gif ]

BTW - I agree with Jerry, fascinating posts.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland

Old September 7th 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Aidan Karley" wrote

George Normandin wrote:
The guy in the center is Norman Fullum of Hudson Canada, along with two
of
his latest telescope "creations".

Looks like he likes his woodwork!

Aidan, Jerry:

I thought that I had spelled the guy's name wrong, and I did: It's Normand
Fullum!

As I said, he has "turned pro", selling scopes made in his unique style,
and including his own quality mirrors. He's a real nice guy and a hit when
he shows up. Last year we spent some time using my bino-viewer on one of his
scopes to look at the sun. He exhibited at this year's North East Astro
Forum (NEAF) back in April. Here is his website for telescope sales:
http://www.normandfullumtelescopes.com/

I'd be afraid to use one of these scopes if I owned it!

George N

Old September 7th 07, 01:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"jerry warner" wrote
George these are very interesting posts, especially for those of
us who will never be at Stellafane, sadly.. Thanks!

Jerry,

About 3 years ago planetary imager Eric Ng and another guy came all the
way from China to attend Stellafane...... and it rained all weekend!

I'm still hoping to make the Texas Star Party, Winter Star Party, and one
of the Dave K (owner of Obsession) trips to Australia some time. I've a
friend who camped in the National Park in the US Virgin Islands for 2 weeks
with his Meade 10" SCT and he said it was great, and other friends have told
me that observing from the visitor's center at the Keck Observatory is also
wonderful. Hopefully I'll make it!

George N